The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Dear slutz, help me pick out a softsynth! Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Addict

Dear slutz, help me pick out a softsynth!

Hi guys!

Im a big softwarefan, at the moment I'm rolling with MBP 2011 i7 , Logic 9 and sylenth1..
As the softwareslut that I am, I'm on a hunt for a new synth for phat bassounds and maybe some cool synthlead sounds..

The genre im working within is mostly bigroom house music..So im thinking about getting trilian...

What do you think? Or should I pick another synth?
Old 6th September 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddman View Post
Hi guys!

Im a big softwarefan, at the moment I'm rolling with MBP 2011 i7 , Logic 9 and sylenth1..
As the softwareslut that I am, I'm on a hunt for a new synth for phat bassounds and maybe some cool synthlead sounds..

The genre im working within is mostly bigroom house music..So im thinking about getting trilian...

What do you think? Or should I pick another synth?
dcam synth squad is awesome and comes with three different synthesisers for $250 i think it is. well designed synths.
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Addict

will check that one out..thats kind of the right pricerange im willing to strech for

also forget to tell you im a big preset guy, so many presets is a plus!
Old 6th September 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddman View Post
will check that one out..thats kind of the right pricerange im willing to strech for

also forget to tell you im a big preset guy, so many presets is a plus!
your running logic like me , I'm sticking to the es2 and sylenth1 until i can afford dcam synth squad. other popular ones to check out are:

-ni massive - very popular
- rob papen synths

check this out also the 17 best of plugins by voting from 2010. the list has all the popular ones and a good description. check out number 1 goof

i know it says vst but some of these run on logic (audio units).

The 17 best VST plug-in synths in the world today | MusicRadar.com
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Addict

z3ta 2
Old 6th September 2011
I would check out Imposcar2 for house

Also have a look at Camel Alchemy.

Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Massive
Minimonsta
PolyKB II
DCAM SynthSquad
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Well, you already have Sylenth1. It's quite the B.O.M.B. But if you're after something seriously twisted than NI Komplete :- you'll get Reaktor, Massive etc. Nexus2 is also a great choice (but it's a rompler and tweakeable):- you'll spend more time composing cos there are good gem sounds in there.

Rapture too, that's amazing.

Regards
Josef Horhay
Mixing Engineer
www.acoosticzoo.com
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Those are all really nice synths, and they'll all do a good bass/lead. I'm going to recommend a Slim Phatty, however, since i've heard nothing in software that can come close to the presence and depth of actual hardware... it's the thing that all these software plugs try to sound like, but the only way to really get it is through the genuine article.
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Addict

mmm just got sylenth 1 myself, it is indeed great - anyone got any tips / tweaks they like to do w it? im pretty synthesis savvy and have had good luck tweaking presets thus far. not to derail just noticed many have and love sylenth.

also been on the soft tip lately while im away from the studio for a bit. have had luck using mostly samples and fx, maybe a softsynth part here and there.. Rob Papen Albino is good and the AdrenaLinn Sync FX is quite useful. other than that use PSP plugins (EasyVerb, Multi Delay, EQ, Warmer).
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Addict

oh and what payt said is true...
nothing compares to an analog monosynth for bass... the way it sits in the mix and punches thru. i got a yamaha cs-10 for around $550 (yes it's twice the cost of a soft package) but would never think of looking back...
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Head

I think you have been given mostly great advice here, but I defy anyone to say anything comes close to what Trilian can do.

I do understand why Omnisphere isn't for everyone and for various reasons. But if you can afford it, Trilian absolutely can crush any bass sound (and many synths) both hardware and software that's out there.

I absolutely wouldn't have believed the above statement until I owned it, but other than it's sheer scale you'll only see criticism of it from blowhards on forums.

If I had to say what software (other than a sequencer) is indispensable, it really would be Trilian. Nothing does what it can do for bass.

Love the other stuff mentioned here, though. Have fun!
Old 8th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Gabriel View Post
oh and what payt said is true...
nothing compares to an analog monosynth for bass... the way it sits in the mix and punches thru. i got a yamaha cs-10 for around $550 (yes it's twice the cost of a soft package) but would never think of looking back...

Yes CS range is lovely, had a mates cs5 for the last month, nothing comes close. Pure cream.

Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

After reading your post I would say Massive or Imposcar 2, wouldn't really suggest DCAM for main room house, that's like using a chainsaw to trim your eyebrows.
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Camel Audio Alchemy.
Tone2 Electrax
NI Massive

The synths in Logic are really good too
Old 9th September 2011
Here for the gear

I would say Trilian is by far the best for Bass.

DCAM: Synth Squad and Massive are also great.
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

u-he ace
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by adivizion View Post
I would say Trilian is by far the best for Bass.
Are you from the past? How's my dead cat, can you let him PM me, there's so much I want to say to him, we just never had the time..
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Addict

DCAM Synth Squad.
Quote:
wouldn't really suggest DCAM for main room house, that's like using a chainsaw to trim your eyebrows.
Sure you tried out Cypher and not only Strobe?
I also like Reason.
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Addict

I would highly recommend U-He Zebra:
Zebra

It's a true powerhouse synth that actually does just about everything and a darn good job of that as well. There are a TON of presets out there for it. Also worthy of mention is the fact that it comes with an effects version, so you can use Zebra's filters, LFOs, envelopes, effects, etc, to really kick things up a notch.
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Nut

No love for Dune around these parts??? Great synth!

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Gearslutz.com App
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

I guess Dune would also be a good option, but didn't really get so much into it.
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Stout View Post

The synths in Logic are really good too
Not for bass, not at all
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

if you have sylenth than Zebra for sure. So much synth right there.
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

I like Sculpture.

Oh! It comes with Logic 9!

Sorry. EoT.
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Get Imposcar 2 and Zebra 2 dont buy anything else until your a Zen Master with those two. You will be able to create any synth sound on the planet beating all known previous analog or softsynth sounds using simple layering if and when needed.
Old 10th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by realist22 View Post
dcam synth squad is awesome and comes with three different synthesisers for $250 i think it is. well designed synths.
i agree with this
i think most mainroom people use the strobe synth from this as well as ni's fm8
Old 10th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowas View Post
DCAM Synth Squad.

Sure you tried out Cypher and not only Strobe?
I also like Reason.

not sure about that. Most mainroom sounds are made with the saw from strobe
Old 10th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Thanks gents for all your feedback. It appears I don't have the money to go analogue yet but I can afford a sub. Will this do?

GENELEC 7050 BPM - Thomann UK Cyberstore

I guess I will need some gear to calibrate my room any advice?

I already have good itb mastering tools for those who mentioned it.
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

dude i use nothing but soft synths and it is certainly possible to get sounds as fat if not fatter than what you can with analog gear, to say otherwise just indicates that either A) you don't know how to use the instrument correctly or B) you don't know how to properly EQ & Compress (the most important part of any mix *after the arrangement of course)

now then, for the best soft synths that money can buy, in order of power & quality:

1. Spectrasonic's Omnisphere - the grandaddy of all soft synths imo, can go anywhere and beyond

2. Native Instrument's Massive - nothing really needed to be said here, everyone knows how powerful this gem is

3. u-HE ZEBRA 2 - the electronic music industrie's best kept secret. There seems to be nothing this synth can't do

4. Propellerheads Reason - they just released a new version and the new tools are impossible to ignore as they are extremely powerful... not a vst and is tricky because you will need to learn the automation system as it is a bit different from your DAW most likely, but re-wiring is simple enough that it makes it well worth it.. again this program has been used on countless platinum records

5. Rob Papen's Albino - Another industry favorite, it's a little bit like a cross between Massive and Zebra is how I look at it... lots of good stuff going on, nice arpeg. unit... and cheap.

also +1 for Sylenth 1, another great synth
also +1 for Nexus , the best rompler on the market

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search