The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Dear slutz, help me pick out a softsynth! Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

nexus omni isphere imposcar dune

Have to look into zebra
Old 10th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrok Rolles View Post
dude i use nothing but soft synths and it is certainly possible to get sounds as fat if not fatter than what you can with analog gear, to say otherwise just indicates that either A) you don't know how to use the instrument correctly or B) you don't know how to properly EQ & Compress (the most important part of any mix *after the arrangement of course)

now then, for the best soft synths that money can buy, in order of power & quality:

1. Spectrasonic's Omnisphere - the grandaddy of all soft synths imo, can go anywhere and beyond

2. Native Instrument's Massive - nothing really needed to be said here, everyone knows how powerful this gem is

3. u-HE ZEBRA 2 - the electronic music industrie's best kept secret. There seems to be nothing this synth can't do

4. Propellerheads Reason - they just released a new version and the new tools are impossible to ignore as they are extremely powerful... not a vst and is tricky because you will need to learn the automation system as it is a bit different from your DAW most likely, but re-wiring is simple enough that it makes it well worth it.. again this program has been used on countless platinum records

5. Rob Papen's Albino - Another industry favorite, it's a little bit like a cross between Massive and Zebra is how I look at it... lots of good stuff going on, nice arpeg. unit... and cheap.

also +1 for Sylenth 1, another great synth
also +1 for Nexus , the best rompler on the market

I hope this isn't too dumb of a question. If I buy the Papen Albino, do I need anything else other than a midi controller? I am absolutely new to soft synths...
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontariomaximus View Post
I hope this isn't too dumb of a question. If I buy the Papen Albino, do I need anything else other than a midi controller? I am absolutely new to soft synths...
nope.... well that is assuming that you already have a DAW of some sort? Ableton, Logic, Pro-Tools? Theoretically, you don't even need a midi controller...

How is your knowledge on the fundamentals of synth routing? Do you understand the basics of taking two oscillators, detuning them, and profiting?

Albino has a really nice interface with everything labeled pretty well... but like any new instrument it will take some time to learn. Presets are a good start, as always
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

Logic allready has all the great plugin's you need, you're a fool if you don't use them.

Fabfilter Twin 2 is also a very good synth.
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by StringBean View Post
Not for bass, not at all
Disagree. I think the es2 is fantastic for bass. So is the plain sine wave on the esx24 (if you know what you're doing...)

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Gearslutz.com App
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrok Rolles View Post
nope.... well that is assuming that you already have a DAW of some sort? Ableton, Logic, Pro-Tools? Theoretically, you don't even need a midi controller...

How is your knowledge on the fundamentals of synth routing? Do you understand the basics of taking two oscillators, detuning them, and profiting?

Albino has a really nice interface with everything labeled pretty well... but like any new instrument it will take some time to learn. Presets are a good start, as always

New DAW will have Ableton and Reaper. I don't have any knowledge of synth routing.
Old 12th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepspell View Post
No love for Dune around these parts??? Great synth!
dune is cool but severely limited filter options.
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Maniac
U-he Zebra. Slightly daunting at first. Especially compared to sylenth1. A few hours of learning will reap massive rewards. It's so flexible and capable of doing anything
Old 25th March 2014
Lives for gear

Rob Papen's BLUE II?
Old 25th March 2014
I definitely think you should invest in NI's Komplete. The amount of material you get for the price is ridiculous.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search