The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Alan Wilder Emax samples and sample conversion... Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 6th September 2011
  #1
Here for the gear
 

Alan Wilder Emax samples and sample conversion...

Hi,

I won one of the sample discs Alan Wilder from Depeche Mode was selling on the auction this weekend, containing 30 banks of samples from the MOTM and SOFAD tours. Now I just need an EMAX

I have found a couple on eBay, but mostly the Stereo Model 2212. Since Alan Wilder used the Emax II Turbo (probably fully expanded) I am a bit afraid that the samples stored on the disc won't load on an Emax II (Model 2212) with only 2MB memory. Does anybody have input on this?

Additionally, does anyone know how to convert Emax II banks to other more modern sample formats?

I would appreciate quick replies! Thank you! heh

//Orgath

Last edited by Orgath; 6th September 2011 at 04:54 PM.. Reason: Wrong Model #
Old 6th September 2011
  #2
Gear Maniac
 
soundsubs's Avatar
 

PM Sent!
Seriously, this is great news. We could work collectively to get these translated.

Also, where are you located?
Old 6th September 2011
  #3
Jose Ramón Alvarado Villa
 
Don Solaris's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orgath View Post
I won one of the sample discs Alan Wilder from Depeche Mode was selling on the auction this weekend, containing 30 banks of samples from the MOTM and SOFAD tours.
Great news!!!

Got URL to the other auctions? I wonder what other disks were for sale.

Yeah we need to compile and convert those. So far there's just one option. That would be loading into Emax and transmitting over MIDI as wav via EMXP application. If you're interested, i can do it. I would have to enable RE422 port on my Emax, otherwise, this might take eternity over MIDI to transfer.
Old 6th September 2011
  #4
Lives for gear
 
lovekrafty's Avatar
 

FYI, any of the newer EMU samplers will read the emax II formats
The conversion will change the sound slightly but it can be done.

LK
Old 6th September 2011
  #5
Lives for gear
 
danielb's Avatar
I have an 8MB Emax II with external zip drive. I would be happy to help in any way necessary.

D.
Old 8th September 2011
  #6
I believe that the software sampler Kontakt from Native Instruments can import Emax-banks.
Old 8th September 2011
  #7
Old 8th September 2011
  #8
Lives for gear
 
skyshooter's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orgath View Post
Hi,

I won one of the sample discs Alan Wilder from Depeche Mode was selling on the auction this weekend, containing 30 banks of samples from the MOTM and SOFAD tours. Now I just need an EMAX

I would appreciate quick replies! Thank you! heh

//Orgath
How awesome, I wanted them out of everything in the auction, but funds right mow would not allow me to bid. I saw each Zip disc was 30 banks, and sold for £600.00 each a lot of cash for samples, hopefully worth every bit of it!

You should be able to load individual presets and samples onto a 2MB version, you may not be able to load the entire disk at once along with sequences (if any are included).
Old 8th September 2011
  #9
Here for the gear
 

Thanks for all the replies! I truly appreciate it!

I bought an Emax II 2212 on eBay and will hopefully get it next week. Let's see how that will work out. I also have NI Kontakt so thanks for that tip. I didn't even think of that one. If nothing else works, EMXP would probably do the trick. I am eager to try!

Please see this link to see what's on the disc: 20 x AW /DM sound sample ZIP discs

For those of you who didn't get one, I guess there will be some on eBay very soon, once they have been shipped.

Other than the samples I also bought a MIDI Patch Bay, a Drawmer Noise Gate, a Roland R-880 reverb and the Zoom multi effect with the SOFAD settings (including the guitar on "I Feel You") still stored on it. Cool to have some Depeche/Recoil stuff in the home studio.

I couldn't resist buying 15 early single posters all signed by Alan, so some of these will fit nicely on the wall. The rest might go on eBay.

Thanks,
Orgath
Old 8th September 2011
  #10
Lives for gear
 
Jim Stout's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orgath View Post
Thanks for all the replies! I truly appreciate it!

I bought an Emax II 2212 on eBay and will hopefully get it next week. Let's see how that will work out. I also have NI Kontakt so thanks for that tip. I didn't even think of that one. If nothing else works, EMXP would probably do the trick. I am eager to try!

Please see this link to see what's on the disc: 20 x AW /DM sound sample ZIP discs

For those of you who didn't get one, I guess there will be some on eBay very soon, once they have been shipped.

Other than the samples I also bought a MIDI Patch Bay, a Drawmer Noise Gate, a Roland R-880 reverb and the Zoom multi effect with the SOFAD settings (including the guitar on "I Feel You") still stored on it. Cool to have some Depeche/Recoil stuff in the home studio.

I couldn't resist buying 15 early single posters all signed by Alan, so some of these will fit nicely on the wall. The rest might go on eBay.

Thanks,
Orgath

Was that the Zoom 9010?

I would kill to have the sounds from Music for the Masses!
Old 8th September 2011
  #11
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Stout View Post
Was that the Zoom 9010?

I would kill to have the sounds from Music for the Masses!
Yes, it was the Zoom 9010.

Hm... I hope you can't find out where I live, cuz I want to live longer heh
Old 8th September 2011
  #12
Lives for gear
 
Jim Stout's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orgath View Post
Yes, it was the Zoom 9010.

Hm... I hope you can't find out where I live, cuz I want to live longer heh
LOL, No worries I am Jealous...

I bought a Zoom 9010 many years ago after finding out that was the main distortion Alan used.

It's actually amazing sounding and sometimes show up on ebay for supper cheap. They were 2k when they first cam out in 1990.
Old 9th September 2011
  #13
Gear Maniac
 

...someone's already trying to sell copies on ebay UK.
The auctions have been removed. These discs went for quite a bit, after fees and everything it was basically $1,000. For the (20) people that bought them there is certainly a mindset to protect your investment, and not just send them to everyone.
Old 9th September 2011
  #14
Lives for gear
 
skyshooter's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by azone View Post
...someone's already trying to sell copies on ebay UK.
The auctions have been removed. These discs went for quite a bit, after fees and everything it was basically $1,000. For the (20) people that bought them there is certainly a mindset to protect your investment, and not just send them to everyone.
I hope they do go after those selling copies, now selling the original disk should be okay, along with the COA.
Old 20th September 2011
  #15
Lives for gear
 

The Emu Emulator X can import those samples from an Emax II. It's the Chicken Systems Translator that does it. (It comes with the E-Mu X). It's what I used to convert my library.

(Get the V3, it works on Windows 7 64 bit)
Old 20th September 2011
  #16
Gear Head
 

Wont the Emu Ultras also convert Emax2 discs?
Old 20th September 2011
  #17
Lives for gear
 

Yes. But you're stuck in hardware-land.
Old 20th September 2011
  #18
Lives for gear
 
skyshooter's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid360 View Post
Yes. But you're stuck in hardware-land.
The only way to fly in EMU sample land! No software sampler IMO will sound as good as the original hardware - then again I am addicted to them, I must confess! (I'm down to 8 of them currently).
Old 26th September 2011
  #19
Here for the gear
 

I have one of the zip discs also from Alan's auction. Actually there are totally 42 banks included. Some banks are included twice plus there are couple of of other banks not mentioned in his list mentioned on the auction site (e.g. black celebration, master & servant).



[REMOVED BY MODERATOR]

Last edited by Don Solaris; 27th September 2011 at 02:00 PM.. Reason: No piracy in here!
Old 26th September 2011
  #20
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by inyoro View Post
I have one of the zip discs also from Alan's auction. Actually there are totally 42 banks included. Some banks are included twice plus there are couple of of other banks not mentioned in his list mentioned on the auction site (e.g. black celebration, master & servant).
[REMOVED BY MODERATOR]
Thanks for the tip. I didn't find the extra banks before. However, I can only count to 33 banks (the 30 listed + BC, M&S and 2nd version of Behind the Wheel). Which one do I miss?

Last edited by Orgath; 27th September 2011 at 02:15 PM.. Reason: Moderator update
Old 27th September 2011
  #21
Here for the gear
 

There are couple of other dublicates like Nothing 93, Leave in Silence 93. But they are same with others. Only thing is, BTW size is different than the other one.
Old 28th September 2011
  #22
Lives for gear
 
wakestyle's Avatar
one word, Translator.

guy is the bets in the industry, he will help you.

your probably looking at 1) creating a ISO of the actual disks 2) export softsampler or hardware sampler format

i think it's better method that the old convert methods... but who knows....
Old 28th September 2011
  #23
Lives for gear
 
PhonoquO's Avatar
 

Why would you want to convert these to any other format? They won't sound authentic unless they are played in the sampler they were intended for. If anything, I would be looking to resample them out of an emax ii with sample robot or something along those lines with quality converters, then export to a soft sampler

Sent from my HTC Desire using Gearslutz.com App
Old 28th September 2011
  #25
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhonoquO View Post
Why would you want to convert these to any other format? They won't sound authentic unless they are played in the sampler they were intended for. If anything, I would be looking to resample them out of an emax ii with sample robot or something along those lines with quality converters, then export to a soft sampler

Sent from my HTC Desire using Gearslutz.com App
because the samples themselves were sampled using the emax, emax II, and emulator II converters. the added value of the emax II output conversion isn't going to be that great a difference because the emax II had very clean output conversion. it was msotly about the inbound conversion that gave the sound it's character.

converting to another sampler the samples will still sound very close to what they did originally comming out of the emax II. plus not everyone has an emax II or emu sampler laying around but does have an akai or yamaha etc...


and on top of that...

there are some unique sounds in that sample collection that it will matter not at all what they come from in order for them to sound like depeche mode samples.

there are also going to be some let downs in there as there was a bit of the standard library used in their music and will probably be on those discs. for instance grand piano from the emulator II/III/elements of sound library.
Old 29th September 2011
  #26
Lives for gear
Looking to buy these samples. PM me if you have a copy to sell.
Old 29th September 2011
  #27
Lives for gear
 

Gotta say the Chicken Systems Translator with a SCSI card works great. That's how I converted mine. I actually talked to the guy who makes it on the phone when I had some issues, and he's very helpful.

I'd be interested in hearing how they come out.
Old 29th September 2011
  #28
Old 30th September 2011
  #29
Lives for gear
 

That's awesome.

I'm not sure how I would ever use them because they are SO recognizable.

Watching that video (Depeche Mode Samples Part I - Alan Wilder Auction Disc for Emax - YouTube) takes me back though, when I was a 19 and bought an Emax II when it first came out. My friends and I would sample all kinds of stuff to try and sound like Depeche Mode.

One of the songs I made during that time was used for a soundtrack in a movie.

Old 30th September 2011
  #30
Lives for gear
 
sftd's Avatar
 

So wait, there are contractual terms to the original purchase of these?

For instance, if I purchased them and decided it would be best to give them away freely thereafter, is that of an illegal nature at that point?

Or, are they -mine- after that?

Are there royalties involved if used?

Sent from my PC36100 using Gearslutz.com App
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump