The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Alan Wilder Emax samples and sample conversion... Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 8th November 2011
Lives for gear

Don't just convert the Emax II files into Kontakt, you would have to actually record them from the Emax II's outputs to get the actual sound properties right.

The converters and filter settings etc would be a big part of that grainy low fi Mode sound.
Old 2nd December 2011
Here for the gear

Behind The Wheel Samples:
Depeche Mode Samples - Behind The Wheel - YouTube
Old 2nd December 2011
Gear Maniac

there is one of the original ZIP discs on ebay right now.
Alan Wilder Emax samples and sample conversion...http://www.ebay.com/itm/290639087430...ht_2036wt_1396
Old 2nd March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orgath View Post
Other than the samples I also bought a MIDI Patch Bay, a Drawmer Noise Gate, a Roland R-880 reverb and the Zoom multi effect with the SOFAD settings (including the guitar on "I Feel You") still stored on it.
Could you share the settings for the guitar patch? I just bought a 9010 and would need help to get a decent guitar tone out of it.
Old 5th March 2012
Gear Maniac

what about the copyright? are the discs just for personal use or is it allowed to compose commercial songs with the samples?
Old 9th March 2012
Here for the gear

Got these samples for my Emax II and they are fun to play around with but hardly useful to compose your own tracks with.
Old 9th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas N View Post
Got these samples for my Emax II and they are fun to play around with but hardly useful to compose your own tracks with.
Yeah, I did the conversion to Kontakt for the OP last year.

Classic but rather useless because they are so recognizable.
Old 12th March 2012
Here for the gear

Hey guys, own both one of AW Discs and a 250mb Zip drive, but can't get the samples out of it... Any solution?
Old 12th March 2012
Lives for gear

Do you own an Emax II ?

WT
Old 12th March 2012
Here for the gear

No I don't... Nor do I own an Emax. The problem is that after inserting the disc in te drive, it says that the disc needs to be formated, which would result in losing the AW content.
Old 12th March 2012
Lives for gear

Uhm...ok.

The discs sold on auction was in Emax II format. They will not open in any computer.

WT
Old 12th March 2012
Here for the gear

I see... So what are my options, besides getting the sampler/rack?
Old 12th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pecci92 View Post
I see... So what are my options, besides getting the sampler/rack?
Actually you can extract the raw samples into a computer with a SCSI PCI card and Chicken Systems Translator, but without an 8 MEG Emax II or an ESI-32 you'll have no idea how to keymap the layers properly. (If your goal is to convert them to another format).

I have an Emax II but only a 4 meg version, so I just used my ESI to figure out the keymaps for the conversion.

The ESI-32 (and ESI-4000) had an "import Emax II" function that works well, and some models came with a built in zip drive instead of a floppy drive.
Old 13th March 2012
Gear Maniac

Not sure if you could use the sounds in your own commercial songs though.
They must be a copyright somewhere on those samples/recordings.
Then again,I'm sure they would make interesting starting points for new sounds twisted out of recognition.
Old 13th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by synthmagic View Post
Not sure if you could use the sounds in your own commercial songs though.
They must be a copyright somewhere on those samples/recordings.
Then again,I'm sure they would make interesting starting points for new sounds twisted out of recognition.
Exactly. Use it for "food" to get ideas to make your own sounds. That's the only reason I was even interested in this project to begin with. And I hate to be a dick, but for the most part those banks are worthless except for nostalgia purposes.
Old 13th March 2012
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid360 View Post
..., butfor the most part those banks are worthless except for nostalgia purposes.
That summarizes it well...
Old 16th March 2012
Jose Ramón Alvarado Villa

Need conversion? I can do it.

BTW if someone needs a conversion to wav, let me know. I got all the necessary hardware (SCSI interface on the computer, scsi ZIP 100 drive) and the software (Emulator X and Chickensys Translator) to do the job. Only problem would be if the ZIP is 250MB in which case i would have to borrow a drive from a friend. The job will cost you one sixpack, which i think is ... ok?
Old 4th April 2012
Here for the gear

There are all kinds of ways to get the Alan Wilder Emax Samples to different formats. I have an expanded EMU ESI4000 that I used to access the Alan Wilder EmaxII sounds banks. I used the Import feature and was able to load every bank/preset and then I saved it as an ESI Bank. Was also able to Save backward to my EIIIxs/xp units. For the sake of learning I connected the ESI 4000 to my computer via SCSI and was able to get Sound Forge to talk back and forth between and grab the samples directly. Was also able to use emxpn.exe to convert all the banks to EIIIx and Soundfont formats. Used HALion to import the sound font and it brought in all the formatting (Keyzone/Loops/Filters etc) into HALion.
Old 23rd November 2012
Lives for gear

Resurrecting this thread ! Any chance to find the Eii sample format in their original state (using an emuser ...)
Old 11th January 2013
Gear Maniac

fyi, i have a working emax 2 and emulater 2....

i don't know what i meant by that.
Old 11th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orgath View Post

I couldn't resist buying 15 early single posters all signed by Alan, so some of these will fit nicely on the wall. The rest might go on eBay.

Thanks,
Orgath
depeche mode posters on the studio wall? But is´nt that kind of pictures on the walls kinda offensive for visitors?
Old 11th January 2013
Lives for gear

Why would it be that ?

WT
Old 15th February 2013
Here for the gear

EII?

Quote:
Originally Posted by isham View Post
Resurrecting this thread ! Any chance to find the Eii sample format in their original state (using an emuser ...)
Not sure what you're asking here. you want the samples in Emulator II format?

The disk came in Emax II format - any other version would be a conversion. I have translated it from the Emax II to SoundFont, EIIIxp/xp, ESI4000, and PC Wave. Not had any luck getting them to Emulator II
Old 16th February 2013
Here for the gear

Use an emax ii in conjunction with Redmatica Autosampler if you truly want to preserve the tonal quality of the samples.
Old 13th March 2013
Here for the gear

I found some DM sounds as wav and some nki files.
Not the legendary Alan zip itself but maybe of interest for some of you for private use of course?
Since I don't know if it's allowed to post a link in here just send me a pm to get it.
Old 28th July 2013
mixmixmix
If you write an original melody and use those samples to play it, and then record a song ( an original composition) , then it is legal to release it for sale.
It must be original, that's it.
Old 30th July 2013
Lives for gear

This is called a monologue....
Old 30th December 2013
Could anybody send me the samples as was or maybe NKI?? I'd love to have them sooo much!!
Old 1st January 2014
*nkm or wav
Old 1st January 2014
Gear Nut

If someone has them I'd like them too!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search