The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Alan Wilder Emax samples and sample conversion... Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 30th September 2011
Jose Ramón Alvarado Villa

Some thoughts....

If i were Alan Wilder, i'd actually give those samples to someone that would convert them to .wav, place them online and offer a free download to everyone. After that i'd place a contest in a sense "let's see what you can do with them".

Best 7 tracks would get a release. Just from the sample copyright of that release, Alan would earn way more money than from selling these disks individually.

Plus we would get a chance to experience the "alternate reality" of a multiverse, where you have a DM samples arranged in a totally different way and performed by a different singer. Sort of: it is DM - it isn't. You're not sure what you're listening, though it sounds so familiar.

Old 30th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid360 View Post
I'm not sure how I would ever use them because they are SO recognizable.
I want these sounds, not to use them for anything really, but just to mess around and play a few old Depeche Mode songs with some of the original sounds. I don't care if I don't have an e-max. I'm pretty sure that I'll get a huge smile on my face just playing these sounds on a software sampler.

It's probably only a matter of time before the sounds become available for anybody to download, because I think that quite a few sets were sold and people are even trying to sell the sounds on e-bay.
Old 30th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by inyoro View Post
Awesome!

Quote:
takes me back though, when I was a 19 and bought an Emax II when it first came out. My friends and I would sample all kinds of stuff to try and sound like Depeche Mode.
Yep same here, good few years spent doing exactly that but with an EPS instead of an Emax

Old 30th September 2011
Lives for gear

I will buy these if available and distribute them if someone can answer my contractual question!!

Sent from my PC36100 using Gearslutz.com App
Old 30th September 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sftd View Post
So wait, there are contractual terms to the original purchase of these?

For instance, if I purchased them and decided it would be best to give them away freely thereafter, is that of an illegal nature at that point?

Or, are they -mine- after that?

Are there royalties involved if used?

Yes, it is illegal to copy and distribute these samples. tutt

The 20 winner's of the auctions all recieved an email where this was clearly stated.
Old 30th September 2011
Lives for gear

Be durned!

Old 30th September 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sftd View Post
So wait, there are contractual terms to the original purchase of these?

For instance, if I purchased them and decided it would be best to give them away freely thereafter, is that of an illegal nature at that point?

Or, are they -mine- after that?

Are there royalties involved if used?

I am not really sure about that but as far as I remember there were no such agreements before/after the auction.
Old 30th September 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orgath View Post
Yes, it is illegal to copy and distribute these samples. tutt
The 20 winner's of the auctions all recieved an email where this was clearly stated.
Actually I sold 5 copies on Ebay and then Alan himself sent an email complaining about that. Then I stopped selling them. After that, as you mentioned, Omega sent an email to all winners warning them. But again, I am really not sure if this illegal or not. I just stopped because of my respect to Alan himself.
Old 1st October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Actually I sold 5 copies on Ebay and then Alan himself sent an email complaining about that. Then I stopped selling them. After that, as you mentioned, Omega sent an email to all winners warning them. But again, I am really not sure if this illegal or not. I just stopped because of my respect to Alan himself.
Any restrictions on their use within a song?

Reminds me of that sample CD Vince Clarke made 15 years ago called "Lucky Bastard". You were free to play with the sounds, but not actually use them in a commercial recording.
Old 1st October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Any restrictions on their use within a song?

Reminds me of that sample CD Vince Clarke made 15 years ago called "Lucky Bastard". You were free to play with the sounds, but not actually use them in a commercial recording.
Good God, I still have that one! Very low serial number, too! I bought that back when it was released...Cost me a good amount, too! Maybe $100 if I remember.

I had/have an Emax II although now it's in mothballs in my garage after a life of touring...the actual keys didn't hold up so well. It'd be good now as a huge sound module instead!

But yeah, I had that CD and sampled tons of stuff off that Vince CD! I was too young then to read the fine print. Although I never released anything commercially with those sounds, I remember getting older and reading the fine print in the book and thinking, "Lucky Bastard? What about, Oh you bastard!" hahahaa

Later on, I found out weird restrictions like that are the norm.

Like all that Nick Phoenix stuff that he released on GigaSampler, the Brass Libraries and that Voices library, where you could use it EXCEPT in movie trailer music since Nick makes his living writing movie trailer music or something and he was scared of people out-writing him with his own samples?

Strange world....

Frank
Old 1st October 2011
Here for the gear

I guess there will be restrictions for any commercial release. On the other side, these samples are the ones they used in live shows so some of them are different than the original samples used in the albums. Complicated stuff. But anyways, it is great fun to play around with them at home for your fun.
Old 1st October 2011
Old 18th October 2011
Here for the gear

Help!

I'm also an AW sampleset auction winner and I'm trapped in a Mobius strip of antiquated SCSI drives not registering on my friend's borrowed EMAX II. Very frustrating.

I will gladly reward the first GSer who can help me get these samples ported over to Kontakt as fully intact banks with a guilt free copy of the costly samples ($1200+ US after $ conversion).

This offer is with the caveat, of course, that they are not circulated in ANY manner or format beyond the person offering me assistance. I need these ASAP for my DM tribute band. I don't care if they're ported with hardware (aforementioned robot sampler technique) or with Chicken Sys and/or SCSI/USB conversion cables or SCSI card in your computer. I'm in complete agreement with what WW Int said about the output converters...

Please PM me through GS or email brentm1661 @ aol (dot) com ASAP. I need these yesterday!

thank you
DarkBard
Old 18th October 2011
Gear Nut

Wow.

Half the sounds in the first video I could make with my Casio Keyboard.

Seriously.
Old 18th October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffy View Post
Wow.

Seriously.
I know but you had to be there.
Old 18th October 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
I know but you had to be there.
Yep, I definitely missed out on something...

By the way, in case anyone who likes Depeche Mode doesn't know this (and I doubt there is anyone but anyway...), you can download a bank of sounds used on the most recent (?) Depeche Mode tour for the Access Virus at Access' website.

I'm guessing someone already mentioned that...
Old 18th October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm guessing someone already mentioned that...
I'm guessing this thread has nothing to do with you.
Old 18th October 2011
Lives for gear

i bid at the auction and was outbid.

i would love to get my hands on the sounds. not fussed about the format, just want to play the sounds here in my home studio and pretend i'm Alan from 101...
i am sure a lot of us old DM fans, who loved their older songs would get so much joy out of this...

is it legal to distribute for personal use?

what would you owners charge for the privelege? please PM me.

p.s. was anyone else's fave part of the 101 video the bit where Alan explain his sampler???
Old 18th October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
p.s. was anyone else's fave part of the 101 video the bit where Alan explain his sampler???
Mine.
Old 18th October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkBard View Post
Help!

I'm also an AW sampleset auction winner and I'm trapped in a Mobius strip of antiquated SCSI drives not registering on my friend's borrowed EMAX II. Very frustrating.

I will gladly reward the first GSer who can help me get these samples ported over to Kontakt as fully intact banks with a guilt free copy of the costly samples ($1200+ US after $ conversion).

This offer is with the caveat, of course, that they are not circulated in ANY manner or format beyond the person offering me assistance. I need these ASAP for my DM tribute band. I don't care if they're ported with hardware (aforementioned robot sampler technique) or with Chicken Sys and/or SCSI/USB conversion cables or SCSI card in your computer. I'm in complete agreement with what WW Int said about the output converters...

Please PM me through GS or email brentm1661 @ aol (dot) com ASAP. I need these yesterday!

thank you
DarkBard
And here you make yourself guilty of breaching the contract.......

Way to go.

WT
Old 18th October 2011
Jose Ramón Alvarado Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkBard View Post
I can help you with the conversion, but i can not accept a "free copy". It's illegal and i don't want to end in any trouble. Also, after being converted, you can not sell these or give to third party.
Old 18th October 2011
Here for the gear

I understand that distributing copies of the sample disks are considered bad etiquette.
My hope is that some of the buyers of the auction originals on this forum are done playing with them, and would consider selling me the original for the same amount they bought for. Please pm me if this is of interest.
Old 18th October 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffy View Post
Wow.
Seriously.
Interesting.. Especially considering the fact that most of those samples were originally created back in 80ies.. You must have a damn special Casio
Old 20th October 2011
I am really interested in what Dave & Martin thought about all this. Did Alan really have the right to sell sounds that belongs to Depeche Mode?
Old 21st October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
I am really interested in what Dave & Martin thought about all this. Did Alan really have the right to sell sounds that belongs to Depeche Mode?
Well, Wilder WAS 1/4 of Depeche Mode. Plus you can't really "use" these sounds except for nostalgia purposes, not commercial purposes.

Most of the sounds are lifted from the Emulator II, with very tight and rough loops (no crossfade loops back then) ... needs lots of reverb to sound acceptable/authentic, and lots of clicks and pops to clean up... but fun to play with nonetheless.

I suppose someone in a Depeche Mode cover band would find them useful.
Old 22nd October 2011
Gear Maniac

I often wonder about the Kerfusion guy(s) who release amazing DM remixes. Most of the sound sources sound original to the song... I think in some cases it's just isolating and sampling directly from the song and then editing and looping for their remixes, but other times I swear it sounds like they've managed to get actual sounds direct from the synth (or actual studio masters?) because some original sounds were mixed so deeply with others... what I'm getting at is in addition to personally enjoying these sample libraries, people should be able to make remixes for public listening. Is that illegal? There are dozens in addition to Kernfusion producing and releasing these third party remixes. Speaking of which I highly recommend checking out Kernfusion's remixes for "The Things You Said", "Photographic" and "Sun and the Rainfall"... among others. Badass stuff. They're on YouTube.
Old 22nd October 2011
Lives for gear

Yeah, if you were doing a "remix" I suppose that would be acceptable too.. but all your royalties would go to Depeche Mode unless you had a contract.
Old 23rd October 2011
Quote:
Well, Wilder WAS 1/4 of Depeche Mode. Plus you can't really "use" these sounds except for nostalgia purposes, not commercial purposes.
Sure, but then he left the band - which still exists, so it could be recalled as something similar to Intellectual Property (IP) of any business. Interesting case, I think.
Old 24th October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sure, but then he left the band - which still exists, so it could be recalled as something similar to Intellectual Property (IP) of any business. Interesting case, I think.
Their CD recordings are intellectual property too, you're not allowed to make copies of those either (at least in law theory)... To me it's the same.

The only thing I learned from going through them was how cleverly the layers were mixed, if you listen to the raw unmapped samples it's nothing special. But if you mix a PPG clank with a guitar pluck and a low piano thonk suddenly it turns into something special. You could make MAKE approximations of most of those sounds these days with something as simple as a Wavestation.

The only large banks (8mb) are from the SOFAD tours, which are mostly vocal samples and short instrumental phrases, all to recognizable to ever use without getting caught.
Old 2nd November 2011
Here for the gear

Another short sample video is out:
Depeche Mode Samples - I Want You Now 1994 - YouTube

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search