The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Creating analog toms. Help please. Desktop Synthesizers
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Addict

Creating analog toms. Help please.

Can anyone give me some specific advice on creating analog toms on a mono synth please? What wave form should I start with? Thanks

I've read around and Toms seem to be drum that gets the least detailed description on how to make, maybe because it's the simplest? Anyway, some specific advice would be much appreciated.

I found this on SOS and I'm gonna give it a shot, just wondering if there is more I can try -

Quote:
Toms are basically an oscillator swept down by an envelope signal. Some analogue drum machines add a touch of white noise passed through an LPF, with a longer decay time than the oscillator to add artificial reverberation.
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Guru

What synth are you working with?

edit: waveform - preferably square or triangle. If you can't modulate the oscillator pitch with the envelope, you need a filter that self-oscillates (when you crank the resonance to max).
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Addict

Yoozer,

Using a waldorf pulse. It can self oscillate the filter and there should be plenty of modulation options. So what do you think I should do?

Thanks
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Nut

try?
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Addict

Yes, I will try. But I'm just looking for pointers at this stage.
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Guru

Just do it and post the result, then it makes sense to give pointers. Also, what toms do you want? Simmons, 808,...?
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Addict

ok. I'll see what I can do.
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Yes, it's really easy to do 808 style toms with a self-oscillating filter-
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Try just using the resonance or just a little of the oscillator/s and plenty of res, also experiment with varying amounts of filter keyboard 'tracking'. Experiment with the filter envelope shape.......small amounts of noise also can help with drum sounds in general, not just snare, claps, cyms.
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

pitch envelope and some noise mixed in. any wave form.. thats the typical synth tom.. So somehow something in between a BD and a SNARE... maybe therfore no special article on SOS
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Guru

I've created some quick and dirty Sylenth1 patches; it's got a far less complicated modulation routing than your Pulse has, so you could use this as a cheat sheet by copying the settings.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Sylenth1Drums.zip (1.6 KB, 4 views)

synbeat.mp3 (291.8 KB, 103 views)

Old 6th September 2011
Gear Addict

Tried today and failed. I got lots of tom sounds (none of them very good in my opinion) but they're not even close to what I'm looking for.

Something similar to what I'm looking for are the pretty pervasive Toms in the first song (Ovirt) in this set of SP clips. I'm not looking to copy really, just get something with a similar shape.

Tomorrows another day I guess. I just wish I wasn't such a noob. It always seems like an uphill struggle! I considered looking for samples instead, but I'm going to force myself to synthesize it.
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Addict

Also thanks for all the suggestions.
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Addict

Yoozer

Quote:
I've created some quick and dirty Sylenth1 patches; it's got a far less complicated modulation routing than your Pulse has, so you could use this as a cheat sheet by copying the settings
How do you mean?
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by herokiller View Post
Tried today and failed. I got lots of tom sounds (none of them very good in my opinion) but they're not even close to what I'm looking for.
Post them. Upload the mp3s as attachments here.

We can't steer you in the right direction if we can't even determine where you're going now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by herokiller View Post
Yoozer
How do you mean?
Synths are not completely unique snowflakes. A lowpass filter on one synth will have a similar effect as the one on another synth.

I don't have a Pulse, but I can give you pointers in the way you have to set your knobs. I picked Sylenth because that's what I have. I could do this for another synth too, but I don't know what you have in the way of software.

It's just that unlike the Pulse most software shows you all controls at once - that way you can copy each setting by finding its counterpart on the Pulse and use that as a guideline of sorts. So, if the software can make the tom sound and the ADSR is set like 0 50% 30% 30%, you can copy those settings on the Pulse and at least have that part right.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

yeah, what exactly are you trying so far? those toms in the SP clips are very typical synth toms (Simmons, Roland, etc) and are generally pretty simple to pull off. i've never used a Pulse, but from looking at the specs it should be plenty capable (i almost can't believe there's no preset in there with this sound, or a close starting point).

the key is assigning an envelope to oscillator pitch, so that the pitch drops down quickly when the note is triggered. the other envelope should be used for the amp, adjusted to taste. mixing in some noise at the start would make it more 'realistic'. you should be able to route a sawtooth LFO to noise level for this, hopefully it can ramp down.

EDIT: fixed some things...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search