The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Anyone have an MFB 522 Drumcomputer? Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear
Anyone have an MFB 522 Drumcomputer?

Just wondering what people think of the tone and overall sound of the thing? Did you find the 16 step sequencer limiting?

Im thinking of getting one to sync along with my other grooveboxes XoXoX box, Electribe ER1, etc.
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AikiGhost View Post
Just wondering what people think of the tone and overall sound of the thing?
Sounds good to me

I want one.
Old 6th September 2011
Um there's a thread about this recently, if you search you'll find more info, and my thoughts on it.

The overall sound/tone of it is very nice I think, does what it says on the tin. Highlight is the kick and clap. Hats, toms, cowbell all nice, snare less so. Its small, very very small, and very plastic, you get what you pay for, sequencer is fine to use.

Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear
It does sound nice, but I've heard it has sync issues when driven by the internal sequencer. Can anyone tell me if this true? Ill be using it in sync with my other grooveboxes with no DAW involved.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AikiGhost View Post
It does sound nice, but I've heard it has sync issues when driven by the internal sequencer. Can anyone tell me if this true? Ill be using it in sync with my other grooveboxes with no DAW involved.
If it's anything like the 502, then yes, it tends to not be exactly tight. Actually, it wonders a bit all over the place...
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by krushing View Post
Actually, it wonders a bit all over the place...
Yep- it's like a modern-day Confucius.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by krushing View Post
If it's anything like the 502, then yes, it tends to not be exactly tight. Actually, it wonders a bit all over the place...
If it was a vintage drum machine, it would be praised for it's organic groove, which is of course much much better than anything a computer (except maybe an Atari ST) could ever produce.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

The demo Simonator linked is probably the best demo of the MFB-522 on the interwebs, for it accurately shows you what is does, how it does it and how it sounds while doing it.

I bought mine and sold it quickly after, because I was frankly bored of its sound (not to say the sound is bad, but I've just heard it all too many times).

It's great if you like your 90's percussive funky house, tech-house stuff.
Old 2nd August 2018
Here for the gear
Love it.

I’ve had a bad week with going to buy one that blew a fuse before I arrived. Buying another that had a dodgy stereo out, then returning it. And finally winning one on eBay, only for the guy to return my payment and do a runner! God knows why. But the one I heard sounded marvellous, even more so in person. More refined analog soul than my current machine, the Double Drummer.
Anyone want to sell me a 522? Cash waiting in London!
Old 2nd August 2018
PES
Lives for gear

I’m not selling mine.
Old 3rd August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracktionmonkey View Post
I’ve had a bad week with going to buy one that blew a fuse before I arrived. Buying another that had a dodgy stereo out, then returning it. And finally winning one on eBay, only for the guy to return my payment and do a runner! God knows why. But the one I heard sounded marvellous, even more so in person. More refined analog soul than my current machine, the Double Drummer.
Anyone want to sell me a 522? Cash waiting in London!
worst gear week ever on a single item. maybe the cosmos is telling you
to get something else? quite interested in it but the doubling up of the
sequence programmer row looks difficult.
what about tanzbar lite?
Old 3rd August 2018
Here for the gear
We shall overcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by babylonpanic View Post
worst gear week ever on a single item. maybe the cosmos is telling you
to get something else? quite interested in it but the doubling up of the
sequence programmer row looks difficult.
what about tanzbar lite?
I would be using it as a sound module, as I’m unlikely to get the same sequencing power when compared to using my Digitone.

I tried one via the mono outs, and it’s certainly got tone that beats any newer Roland with TR in front of it!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search