The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
ROLAND countdown (Sept. 15th-2011) ! Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

ROLAND countdown (Sept. 15th-2011) !

Roland CONNECT 2011

Could it be the next generation Fantom workstation ? or ... ?
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by muziksculp View Post
Roland CONNECT 2011

Could it be the next generation Fantom workstation ? or ... ?
With KRONOS monopolizing the workstation market you can bet it is.
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilon View Post
With KRONOS monopolizing the workstation market you can bet it is.

Yup !

Hopefully Kurzweil will be next to show their (K3000) workstation, and possibly Yamaha will then follow with their next gen. Motif XF2.

Oh... I'm not a fan of the KRONOS, hope to see what ROLAND has to offer this time around. K3000 is where I would spend my money, but Kurzweil is moving at a snail's pace
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by muziksculp View Post
Yup !

Hopefully Kurzweil will be next to show their (K3000) workstation, and possibly Yamaha will then follow with their next gen. Motif XF2.

Oh... I'm not a fan of the KRONOS, hope to see what ROLAND has to offer this time around. K3000 is where I would spend my money, but Kurzweil is moving at a snail's pace
Yeah.. I think everyone would like to see the k3000..
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Hasn't the Jupiter taken on the Roland Workstation mantle?
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

I hope its a totally new synthesizer that has absolutley nothing, zero to do with the JP8000 engine.
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Head

No doubt it will be like the email I got from the lottery this morning. You log in all excited and then instead of £110million it tells you you've won £6. I'm fully expecting to be underwhelmed.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by flat earth View Post
I hope its a totally new synthesizer that has absolutley nothing, zero to do with the JP8000 engine.
What was the last time you saw a totally new synthesizer ?
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Wireless midi or something of that ilk?
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Exactly! heh

But, avoiding a progressive 'everything derived from something else' saga, I think anyone would agree, Roland needs to do something radically different in its 'synthesizer engine' dept. It also needs to be something that actually stands out on its own.

for instance, that AP synthesis in the V-Synth GT, and the synth engine in the new JP80. I'm still not really quite sure what they are, or based upon. I think they need to be more specific tbh.
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANTARAVE View Post
Yeah.. I think everyone would like to see the k3000..
Shame they never followed through with the VA-1. I was looking forward to that so much when they announced it
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Doepfer Dark Energy?

Waldorf Blofeld?
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhollmusik View Post
Doepfer Dark Energy?

Waldorf Blofeld?
I happen to own blofeld actually. Blofeld is the exact opossite , repackaged mircoq with added a couple of features. You could not have picked a worst example lol

But its an amazing synth none the less.

Not that Deopfer Dark Energy is any more innovative.

IF you really want to taste innovation take a look at Neuron , now that is what i call an innovative synth.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Doepfer dark energy: analog synth.. nothing new about that. I also think it was derived from their bigger modular stuff?

Waldorf blofeld: derived from older waldorf legacy stuff, such as the Q.

Totally new synths are rare, and usually they are based on tried and tested hard/software.

What i'd like Roland to do is to make a knobby synth which has some good VA elements (oscs and filters), and some really deep synth features.. kindof like Alchemy in a box, but umm.. better!
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Yall are completely wasted on homemade Hype-Ade

Roland Connect doesn't even allude to anything other than stuff already announced.
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by payt View Post
What i'd like Roland to do is to make a knobby synth which has some good VA elements (oscs and filters), and some really deep synth features.. kindof like Alchemy in a box, but umm.. better!
And then Roland will tell you to go buy the Gaia
Old 7th September 2011
Deleted User
I guess it has something to do with the Jupiter....
Old 7th September 2011
I am guessing it has something to do with all the products displayed on the page (digital piano, organs, Jupiter 80, USB interface, recorder, portable amplifier).
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Roland's answer to the Tempest!!!

With easy vintage basic 808, 909 and TR sound capability and much much more!
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

lawd.. here we go again.. lol
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear
Hmm, prepare to be disappointed. I'm thinking Jupiter 60 and maybe 40...
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

I expect nothing, Roland lost the plot a long, long time ago.

What will they bring this time? a virtual cembalo? The same Rompler repackage d in a new box?

Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persemone View Post
Hasn't the Jupiter taken on the Roland Workstation mantle?

Um ... There's no sequencer ... or sampling ... or even user waves import ... Limited control surface ... uses Jupiter name ...

With all due respect ... that's NOT a workstation ...

Personally, I think it's too soon for another Fantom-type workstation ... Roland either comes out of left field with a new product or plays catch-up with a twist ...

Personally, I'd love a Jupiter-80 based workstation ... But Roland giving users what they're asking for doesn't seem to be their thing ...
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diametro View Post

Personally, I think it's too soon for another Fantom-type workstation ...
Fantom is not selling now, not even at discount prices. It's totally outclassed by Yamaha XF and Kronos. Maybe the era of the workstation is over? As far as I know, XF and Kronos aren't stellar sellers either. Let's face it, every kid has a computer loaded with a gazillion VSTi's (legal and illegal) and a keyboard controller.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by depulse View Post
A virtual cembalo?
It may sound lame to an electronic musician, but that actually would be a hit, if Roland did it right: lightweight, a good approximation of a harpsichord keyboard, a system of speakers that would approximate the sound of a harpsichord on stage and, last but not least, a reasonable price (less than $2,000?)

There are countless students of baroque ensemble around the world who don't have access to a real harpsichord. I think they'd be thrilled to use a virtual cembalo in place of a piano, especially one that can be easily transported.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaPi61 View Post
Fantom is not selling now, not even at discount prices. It's totally outclassed by Yamaha XF and Kronos. Maybe the era of the workstation is over? As far as I know, XF and Kronos aren't stellar sellers either. Let's face it, every kid has a computer loaded with a gazillion VSTi's (legal and illegal) and a keyboard controller.
That is the truth. Many of the kids producing music today really have no idea nor do they care about Roland. A keyboard workstation seems silly to them. Most of the young producers I've met use Sylenth and Massive as their main sound sources. It's just how things are changing.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaPi61 View Post
Ended ? are you joking ? actually workstations sell like crazy if you consider their high price. A sales man once told me that they were selling 1000 motifs for every VIRUS TI !!! No surprise that they later dropped VIRUS TI altogether and replaced with waldorf blofeld. Now with the economical crises and Greece in default in terms of hardware synth , workstations and low budget synths are only things widely available in the Greek market.

Dont let this forum fool you Workstations still remain by very very very far the most popular synths.

The whole vst and computer argument does not stand, workstation are so well designed so fully intergated so specialized in performing music live that if you want to perform live or create music fast you either should be short on money or pretty insane to prefer a computer with vsts. As for the kids preferring VSTs , well they prefer torrents anyway, and its not as if their music is going be noticed any time soon anyway , why should we care for what they prefer. Serious musicians never had problem and never will putting the hand deep in the pocket for serious setups. Workstation are serious tool, not some kid's toys.

Dont get me wrong, computer and vsts are great , but the menu diving for computer compared to the menu diving in a workstation is like comparing a rock to an iceberg. I could not live without a workstation in my setup. Andromeda is a great synth, amazing sound, but my motif is so much more than that. In studio a computer is great outside it not so good.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
I happen to own blofeld actually. Blofeld is the exact opossite , repackaged mircoq with added a couple of features. You could not have picked a worst example lol

I owned a Blofeld until last month and I own a Micro Q. They are much different. Aside from the fact that the interface of the Blofeld is amazing and %100 better than the micro Q you also have the multiple outs of the Micro Q, audio inputs, sample option on the Blofeld. They are absolutely completely different synths. Yeah sure they have a few similarities, they are both made by Waldorf. If the Blofeld really was a repackaged Micro Q it would share the same housing, components, display, etc.

New synths come out all the time. I would say that if you look at the entire spectrum of synthesizers from a software and hardware standpoint this is the most productive time in the history of synthesizers.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Who wants a totally new synthesizer? We want totally old(tech) synthesizers! heh
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Roland needs to compete with Korg (Kronos), and Yamaha (Motif XF) .... The (Fantom G) is quite old-tech, It will only make sense to release their next generation workstation to keep up with the competition.

My guess is they will announce their next gen. Workstation, maybe a new Fantom, or something totally new, plus a few other new products.

9-15-11 is around the corner.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search