The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
In need of mixing and gain staging advice
Old 6th September 2011
Here for the gear

In need of mixing and gain staging advice

I'm somewhat new to mixing in Logic and lately I've been watching my gain staging during mixdown in the interest of leaving proper headroom for the mastering process. I make electonic music and I'm trying to keep my levels in the -6db to -3db range but almost all of my projects have at least a few sounds that peak much higher, +6 or even clipping. I do want these sounds to be in the forefront of the mix so I naturally want them to be louder but I find myself running into the problem of it eating up my headroom and before I know it my mixes are peaking much higher than what I feel I should be leaving for mastering headroom. How do you tackle these sounds in a mix. Compress them to death? Turn everything down? Any mix advice or pointers are greatly appreciated.
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Have a read: http://www.popmusic.dk/download/pdf/...ital-audio.pdf

In need of mixing and gain staging advice-no-clipping.jpg

My starting point is -18db and I aim for -6db/-3db on the master. You can always up the gain later on the master with compression or a finalizer plug.

Keep your levels down, learn to listen and mix in mono. You don't have to constantly mix in mono, just use it as a mix reference because if a mix sounds strong/clear in mono it's going to sound great in stereo. Also learn to listen to a mix at low levels because if it sounds good with the volume turned down then it is good.

If you start out loud you will end up clipping the master and that will ensure you kill your mix.

Good luck

Old 6th September 2011
Gear Maniac

If I can offer advice it would be to insert the Logic gain plugin first on your insert channel strip and reduce the level down using that than the fader before you start adding any further insert processing.
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Addict

Yes, turn everything down. -18dBFS is a good starting point. Your monitors have a volume knob/control for a reason, crank that mother up.
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

try using VU meter(s) instead of peak meter(s)...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search