The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
eBay ALERT: PPG Wave 2 Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeHayduke View Post
Seriously though, why would anyone want to pay that much for an 8-bit machine?

Y'all old-school synthpoppers: give us a raw clip so we can hear it in all it's vintage glory, then we might join the drool fest!

8 bit, it's like my old ZX spectrum heh

dude seriously? at first i thought you were just trying to rattle someone's monkey cage but now i'm leaning to you really don't have a clue about the ppg at all except for said youtube clips...

the number of bits in the osc section has no bearing on the resultant sound from the synth.

prophet vs.
esq-1
kawai k3
etc...

low bit rates all of em and yet they have a following and can do things a 16 bit or greater machine can't.

if you really don't know what the ppg sounds like try this video the brassy bass stab is the ppg.
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by W-W-Int View Post
..now i'm leaning to you really don't have a clue about the ppg at all except for said youtube clips...
Yea, I don't know much about it at all.

Quote:
low bit rates all of em and yet they have a following and can do things a 16 bit or greater machine can't..
-Do you mean that they have the early digital sound signature which you happen to like, because then I'd think there was indeed a difference revealed in specs alone? You made me google for further specs and this quote came up: " But even with more complex waveforms, [Wolfgang] Palm eventually realized that 8-bit digital sound was too brittle. 'I found that wavetable switching wasn't smooth enough,' he says, 'So I returned to analog and connected a VCF and VCA to the digital oscillator. That was the Wave 2." Despite the analog filter and vca it does sound rather distorted/aliased (a bit like the prophet vs), but I admit it also gives it some 'cool' vintage character.

-Or do you mean that the architechture (and wave selections) of the synths is different from modern machines and that's what you like?

Here's a video by a local guy, he loves vintage digital :

Tbh. I can see how it would fit great in a vintage digital setup like 12bitrec's, but dang, some like it harsh
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
if you really don't know what the ppg sounds like try this video the brassy bass stab is the ppg.
Sounds good, but not worth $3000+, and definitely not something that can't be done in cheaper, more efficient ways.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search