The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
is prophet 08 unnecessary if i own a p5? Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

is prophet 08 unnecessary if i own a p5?

i own a rev 3.3 prophet 5 with 120 patches and midi. is the prophet 08 worth it to get? how different is it?
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Maniac

To be honest I don't think it's worth buying an '08 if you if you have a 5. Having owned both the gulf between the 2 is pretty huge and not in a good way.
The '08 does have some good features but all they really share is the Prophet name.
What are you trying to achieve with the '08 that you can't do with the 5?
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubrew View Post
What are you trying to achieve with the '08 that you can't do with the 5?
He just wants both. heh
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

I've never played on a Prophet 5 or 8 but after all the demos I've heard I wouldn't even bother looking at a P8 if I had a P5.
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear
I won both and they're significantly different enough to warrant owning both.
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Step sequencer, 8 note poly, more features...kind of different beasts.
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Addict

No.
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Addict

Sorry didn't see the second question.
1. No
2. Different like one of the posters said but not different enough to justify buying it from my viewpoint. Different sonics with the P5 sonics being preferable form my viewpoint. P8 would certainly be more easily supported if there were repair issues but rev 3 P5s get support too.
Old 6th September 2011
Here for the gear

The Prophet'08 will not replace the Prophet-5. But the inverse is true as well.

The P'08 has more envelopes, lots more LFOs, the step sequencer, arpeggiator, more voices, switchable 12 and 24 dB filter response, independent glide over the oscillators, independent PWM, more memories, yadda yadda.

But it lacks oscillator FM (unless you use the LFOs, but that's not terribly satisfying), doesn't have particularly good sounding filter FM, and definitely loses something in the overall sound. Unison isn't nearly as pleasing either, even with maximum detune and oscillator slop dialed in. You can chalk it up to the DCOs versus VCOs or the different filter, but it just doesn't sound as good. It's not a bad synth, and it's a far better "programmer's synth" than the P5, but it's not a replacement.

Solution: buy both.
Old 6th September 2011
The prophet 08 is more like a ob8 or obxa in terms of sound, with snappier envs like a mono synth.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search