The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Spend my money on Nexus 2? Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 6th September 2011
  #1
Lives for gear
 

Spend my money on Nexus 2?

I need a synth/rompler that I can easily tweak. I'm not much of a sound designer and ideas come and go quickly in my head, so I tend to use a bunch of presets and slightly tweak them.

I need this to make progressive house and some other genres with very progressive sounds/creative.

I've always wanted an Access Virus, but I can't buy a keyboard analog synth right now because of portability.

What do you recommend?

I've got about $1,000 USD to spend.
Old 6th September 2011
  #2
Lives for gear
 
CoolColJ's Avatar
 

Get Omnisphere + others
Old 6th September 2011
  #3
Here for the gear
 

Get Nexus + Expansion Packs
Old 6th September 2011
  #4
Lives for gear
 
AcoosticZoo's Avatar
Nexus2 oh yes! a great rompler imho. It's a joy to program with. Rock solid never ever crashes on Logic 9.

Lot's of sounds in Nexus2 suits Progressive House, just need to be creative with how you use them.

Grab Sylenth1 it's the perfect companion to EDM.


Regards
Josef Horhay
Mixing Engineer
www.acoosticzoo.com
Old 6th September 2011
  #5
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchamorro View Post
I've always wanted an Access Virus, but I can't buy a keyboard analog synth right now because of portability.
Huh? Access Virus is not analog, far from it.
Old 6th September 2011
  #6
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolColJ View Post
Get Omnisphere + others
+ 1
Old 6th September 2011
  #7
Lives for gear
 
Sofine's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcoosticZoo View Post
Nexus2 oh yes! a great rompler imho. It's a joy to program with. Rock solid never ever crashes on Logic 9.

Lot's of sounds in Nexus2 suits Progressive House, just need to be creative with how you use them.

Grab Sylenth1 it's the perfect companion to EDM.
www.acoosticzoo.com
I agree +1
Old 6th September 2011
  #8
Lives for gear
 
backplay's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchamorro View Post
I need a synth/rompler that I can easily tweak. I'm not much of a sound designer and ideas come and go quickly in my head, so I tend to use a bunch of presets and slightly tweak them.

I need this to make progressive house and some other genres with very progressive sounds/creative.

I've always wanted an Access Virus, but I can't buy a keyboard analog synth right now because of portability.

What do you recommend?

I've got about $1,000 USD to spend.
Why not by a Virus TI Snow? It's portable and has a lot more features than Nexus.

IMHO it's hard to justify spending $1000 on a VSTI.
Old 6th September 2011
  #9
Gear Maniac
 
Ericdestler's Avatar
 

+1 for Nexus2 and future arps/electro bas expansions. Sylenth1,Dune,D-Squad,Largo and Synthix as companions
Old 6th September 2011
  #10
Gear Addict
 
Dbas's Avatar
Nexus (rompler)
Sylenth1 (synth)
Vengeance Essential House (drums)
Izotope stuTter edit (FX)
Old 6th September 2011
  #11
Lives for gear
 

nexus is obscenely priced

Please reconsider - I would put this at the absolute bottom of the pile - serious.

You could purchase the WHOLE Spectrasonics range with some change left over for more RAM, SSD, ect.

EVen look at Komplete. DCAM, All thre XIls stuff.....

I had a friend who purchased NEXUS and I think he's still trying to get over it.
Old 6th September 2011
  #12
Lives for gear
 
rids's Avatar
 

Can't you buy Nexus for $299? I thought that's what there website said.
Old 6th September 2011
  #13
Lives for gear
 
payt's Avatar
 

There's little that's progressive or creative about nexus.. Nexus is basically a 'me too' rompler which makes you sound like all those other home-producas who want to sound like the 'big boys'. I wouldn't want it even if someone gave it to me for free.. lol

If you want to go the creative route, i'd suggest you buy something that will inspire creativity. I don't know about you, but for me the best way to get creative is to actually have something i can see and touch, which i can tweak on the fly untill i have exactly the sound that i need.. that's why i have a bunch of knobby analogs and VA's. You may want to look into the Virus Snow if that's the kind of sound you're looking for, or some of the other synths that peeps are suggesting here.

Another option is to buy some cheapish synths that cover a broad spectrum of sounds:

-DSI Mopho (fat analog stuff, lovely for basses and leads and other weirdness)
-Nord rack/lead 2 (solid general purpose synth)
-JP8000 (another solid synth, has THE supersaw)

S1000 probably buys you all these synths second hand, and they're widely available.. They'll do much more for you in terms of inspiration compared to a VST, kindof like it's a whole different experience looking at a picture of a hot girl and actually -being- with one, if you get my drift.

Good luck making a choice
Old 6th September 2011
  #14
Lives for gear
 
sftd's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogma View Post
nexus is obscenely priced

Please reconsider - I would put this at the absolute bottom of the pile - serious.

You could purchase the WHOLE Spectrasonics range with some change left over for more RAM, SSD, ect.

EVen look at Komplete. DCAM, All thre XIls stuff.....

I had a friend who purchased NEXUS and I think he's still trying to get over it.
I don't think $299 is obscenely priced really, and I don't think thats because I'm well off financialy.

And how in the world can you buy the entire Spectrasonics lineup for $299??? From a dude who pirated them all?

I want to order from the site you're ordering from!

Sent from my PC36100 using Gearslutz.com App
Old 7th September 2011
  #15
Gear Guru
 
Yoozer's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by sftd View Post
I don't think $299 is obscenely priced really
dogma is most likely talking about the version with all the expansions which goes for like $2000+.
Old 7th September 2011
  #16
Gear Maniac
 

Don't.

Get NI's Komplete instead.
Old 7th September 2011
  #17
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sftd View Post
I don't think $299 is obscenely priced really, and I don't think thats because I'm well off financialy.


Sent from my PC36100 using Gearslutz.com App
I dont think being off well financially has anything to do with thinking 300 bucks is alot for what it is. Being able to afford something and thinking its overpriced are independent thoughts that can be together or separate.
Old 7th September 2011
  #18
Lives for gear
 
sftd's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by elijahbrown View Post
I dont think being off well financially has anything to do with thinking 300 bucks is alot for what it is. Being able to afford something and thinking its overpriced are independent thoughts that can be together or separate.
Absolutely! I just used that as a talking point not even half an hour ago in another thread.

But, financial ability can obviously skew perspectives of value and worth. As well, value and worth outside of individual appeal are usually formulated by weighing the item in question against similar items and balancing the values of each.

So I would think given those parameters how one could formulate the idea that $299 is not an obscene price.


As an example of perspective skewing: (and please God I'm trying my best not to sound like a total asshole here)

I recently bought a very good friend some monitors/controller/DSI Mopho for his birthday.

The combined cost of that purchase was what I would call "dinner" money. Meaning that I wouldn't mind paying that much for a nice dinner, but wouldn't go as far as to say I could flush it down the toilet and not care.

Someone else in a different financial situation may think I was absolutely nuts for viewing that type of purchase in such a way.

I am probably doing myself far more harm than good in talking about this but I think it really can be quite a factor on mindset differences when discussing physical possessions like we tend to do around here.

I thank God for every day I draw breath and all the things I have been blessed with and do my best to share them and use what I have been given for things greater than myself. I say that in hopes of trying to stem off the unintended but unavoidable appearance of talking about something as sensitive as monetary status (which in the end matters for nothing in the respect of being the best person you can be) and sounding arrogant.





Sent from my PC36100 using Gearslutz.com App
Old 7th September 2011
  #19
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sftd View Post
Absolutely! I just used that as a talking point not even half an hour ago in another thread.

But, financial ability can obviously skew perspectives of value and worth. As well, value and worth outside of individual appeal are usually formulated by weighing the item in question against similar items and balancing the values of each.

So I would think given those parameters how one could formulate the idea that $299 is not an obscene price.


As an example of perspective skewing: (and please God I'm trying my best not to sound like a total asshole here)

I recently bought a very good friend some monitors/controller/DSI Mopho for his birthday.

The combined cost of that purchase was what I would call "dinner" money. Meaning that I wouldn't mind paying that much for a nice dinner, but wouldn't go as far as to say I could flush it down the toilet and not care.

Someone else in a different financial situation may think I was absolutely nuts for viewing that type of purchase in such a way.

I am probably doing myself far more harm than good in talking about this but I think it really can be quite a factor on mindset differences when discussing physical possessions like we tend to do around here.

I thank God for every day I draw breath and all the things I have been blessed with and do my best to share them and use what I have been given for things greater than myself. I say that in hopes of trying to stem off the unintended but unavoidable appearance of talking about something as sensitive as monetary status (which in the end matters for nothing in the respect of being the best person you can be) and sounding arrogant.


Sent from my PC36100 using Gearslutz.com App
I understand exactly what you are saying. Earlier you had come across as arrogant so I took it upon myself to say something. On the other hand I also understand someone saying that they dont want to pay that much for software. In the end it comes down to what someone is willing to pay for a product. No one wants to feel ripped off. But everyones opinion of what being ripped off might be. So I can completly see if someone says that paying 300 dollars for essentially nothing is a rip off. On the other hand you could also say it is an invaluble tool and worth the 300.
I dont know where i am going. I think i am rambling...
Old 7th September 2011
  #20
Lives for gear
 
Quantum7's Avatar
If you have no sense of originality, and you want your sounds to be generic and uninteresting I would go for Nexus 2. On the other hand, if you are creative and want to be able to have the capability of sounding a little more original and get deep into sound creation/editing, I would go for Omnisphere or Alchemy.
Old 7th September 2011
  #21
Lives for gear
 
AcoosticZoo's Avatar
imho you can still make original music with the same stock sounds.


Old 7th September 2011
  #22
Gear Addict
 
ludwigvanlee's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum7 View Post
If you have no sense of originality, and you want your sounds to be generic and uninteresting I would go for Nexus 2. On the other hand, if you are creative and want to be able to have the capability of sounding a little more original and get deep into sound creation/editing, I would go for Omnisphere or Alchemy.
I dont get this elitism with synth programming... Sometimes sounds just work ..

i never hear people bashing a conductor for using violins, oboes, etc, and not using more creative instruments like a theremin ... or how about or how rock uses distorted guitar all the time..

Nexus sounds as well as all other synth sounds are a sound palette, there is plenty of room for creativity in the arrangement, the post processing, composition...

programming a synth sound and making **** music doesnt make you more creative either...
Old 7th September 2011
  #23
Lives for gear
 
DarkPlasma's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sector10 View Post
Get Nexus + Expansion Packs
lol
Old 7th September 2011
  #24
Lives for gear
 
djanthonyw's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludwigvanlee View Post
I dont get this elitism with synth programming... Sometimes sounds just work ..

i never hear people bashing a conductor for using violins, oboes, etc, and not using more creative instruments like a theremin ... or how about or how rock uses distorted guitar all the time..

Nexus sounds as well as all other synth sounds are a sound palette, there is plenty of room for creativity in the arrangement, the post processing, composition...

programming a synth sound and making **** music doesnt make you more creative either...
+one
Old 7th September 2011
  #25
Gear Guru
 
Yoozer's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ludwigvanlee View Post
i never hear people bashing a conductor for using violins, oboes, etc
That's because those sounds have already proven over the span of several centuries that they're pretty much timeless.

Try to do the same with the Nexus stuff 5 years later; it'll be like the DX7 piano.

The lack of deep editability or using your own samples makes it a dead end; being dependent on the company to release new soundpacks to get something fresh is a liability, not a feature.
Old 7th September 2011
  #26
Lives for gear
 
davidgary73's Avatar
+1 for Omnisphere. Do consider Sylenth1, Dunes and DCAM Squad as well. These softwares comes with lot's of presets and great for progressive house etc. Plus, you can learn to make new sounds with these softwares.

A 2nd hand virus Ti snow would be great as well as it comes with 3000+ presets and you can download lot's more presets from Access Virus site.

Here's a good example of Access Virus soundset by Synthetic Solutions.

Old 7th September 2011
  #27
Lives for gear
 

I wouldnt spend $1,000 all on Nexus,but I do like their sounds.

You really have a ton of options and it really depends if you want hardware,software or both.

I like omnisphere,nexus,sylenth and other software but I really love the sound of analogs synths also.

You can do DSI mopho+sylenth+omnisphere for $1000

You can find a used virus ti snow for $700 plus nexus for $299=$1000

You can get Omnipshere,nexus and sylenth1=$900 or so

You can also get omnisphere,nexus,sylenth and a mopho for $1200 which is nice and slutty.

You can get a DSI Tetra+ nexus for $1000

You can get a DSI mopho keyboard only 32 keys and omnisphere for $1100 or so.

You can also get Komplete 8 and omnisphere to have the best of realistic sounds and synth sounds for $1000.Almost 175gb of sounds.

Man the world is yours,now go buy something and have fun lol.
Old 7th September 2011
  #28
Lives for gear
 
Quantum7's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post
That's because those sounds have already proven over the span of several centuries that they're pretty much timeless.

Try to do the same with the Nexus stuff 5 years later; it'll be like the DX7 piano.

The lack of deep editability or using your own samples makes it a dead end; being dependent on the company to release new soundpacks to get something fresh is a liability, not a feature.
What makes me diss Nexus is that half the expansions patches sound alike. They creators show very little creativity IMO. They also over-drench most of the patches in reverb and delay to hide what's underneath.
Old 7th September 2011
  #29
Gear Head
 
Shefu's Avatar
 

I have Omnisphere and a bunch of other soft synths
Add to that about 15 Hardware synths.
And I still bought Nexus2 just for what it can do its the best in its league.
Old 7th September 2011
  #30
Lives for gear
 
payt's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shefu View Post
I have Omnisphere and a bunch of other soft synths
Add to that about 15 Hardware synths.
And I still bought Nexus2 just for what it can do its the best in its league.
Well there's no arguing that.. if what Nexus2 does is what you want, then that's what you should get. You'll have your patches ready made for you, and you'll be on your way in minutes.

The disadvantage of course is that you'll sound like all the other tunes that use the exact same sounds.. but who cares, the people who listen to these tunes probably won't notice anyway.

Of course you could go and try to make these sounds yourself with a proper synth, but if you want to sound like everyone else, what's the point if you have all the sounds you need for the genre in a plugin?

It's kindof like Bob Ross made simple. You know the painting will feature some mountains, some trees and a little shed, so why not just stick some premade mountains, trees and a shed to the canvas.. it'll save you the time of having to paint it yourself, and risk making an error along the way. Life can be so easy!
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump