The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What am I missing in my basic set up? Advice NEEDED!
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Addict

What am I missing in my basic set up? Advice NEEDED!

Hi -

Well, I'm a guitarist who is dabbling bit with synths, etc, for onstage....
I don't have much, equipment-wise, but would like to use what I already have, and add to it.
Okay, so I've the following - if there's any suggestions on what I could do to improve, rather than replace what I have here, that would be really useful :

Korg Electribe EA1
Arturia The Player (midi keyboard controller)
Firewire soundcard
Tons of various guitar effects pedals
A couple of midi foot pedal controllers

I'd like to be using the midi keyboard to control the EA1, and don't want to get a computer involved here, as I've plenty other things going on onstage), so what can I add to give me a more varied set up?

I'm not much of a synth player, so am really looking to do ambienty, textured stuff, some simple synth basslines too. Cheap, simple, and ideally only knobs/sliders, rather than slow complicated drop down menus! DO I need more in terms of controllers, or synths, or...?
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

You say you don't want to get a computer involved, but if i were you that's the first thing i would do. It will improve your workflow dramatically once you understand how to set it up properly for your performance layout. Just my 2cents
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrok Rolles View Post
You say you don't want to get a computer involved, but if i were you that's the first thing i would do. It will improve your workflow dramatically once you understand how to set it up properly for your performance layout. Just my 2cents

It's not that, but we use a laptop for Ableton Live already, as well as a laptop for visuals! I couldn't afford another license on top of that.... That's why I was thinking more a hardware type simple set up.
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolalola View Post
It's not that, but we use a laptop for Ableton Live already, as well as a laptop for visuals! I couldn't afford another license on top of that.... That's why I was thinking more a hardware type simple set up.
I think in the long run you'd end up spending more money on hardware anyway
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtregoat View Post
I think in the long run you'd end up spending more money on hardware anyway
Well, license, plus another laptop, not sure...
Again, I've the EA1 already, so was maybe looking at something else synthy also, along with perhaps another controller?
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Addict

....to clarify a bit ; I'm primarily the guitarist. But there are a couple of songs where I've freedom to 'experiment' away from the guitar, so I'd then like to use the EA1 and whatever else. I didn't want to have to buy more stuff necessarily, as I've the EA1, a midi keyboard and a ton of pedal effects... but can the EA1 even be played with a midi keyboard?
I really didn't want to have to bring in another laptop though, so would prefer to avoid that....

So, I'd be looking to add texturey stuff with some kind of synth or other in a live scenario. Stuff I'd normally be doing on guitar, but with synths.....

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search