The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Please evaluate my midi setup. Octatrack as a center. MIDI Processors
Old 5th September 2011
Please evaluate my midi setup. Octatrack as a center.

So I did it - I got the Octatrack and like its Midi sequencer so much I would like to make it a hub of all my external synths. I am just a bit worried about the midi feedback wich I always had problems with. Could You give me some tips on how to avoid it? So here is the plan.

1) I want to connect OT midi out to Kenton thru box which will give me 5 midi out. I feed those outs to 5 synths: Voyager, Virus TI, Polyevo, monomachine and Kenton Pro 2000 which will drive my Serge system.

2) So far so good - but now I would like to record CC massages from Virus, Voyager, and Polyevo back to the OT. I would again use Kenton but this time it would be the Merge box which has 4 midi ins merged to 2 midi outs. So I route midi outs from the above mentioned synths (the fourth midi in on the merge box I reserve for a midi keyboard I would like to use as an universal keyboard for all the machines that will also receive the midi clock rfrom my PC.

3) Now does this setup make any sense? Will I encounter any pitfalls like midi feedback and if yes how can I avoid it? I would greatly appreciate any help on this one as this is one of the issues I am trying to resolve for some time now.

Peace
Old 5th September 2011
Why don't you try a Midi patch bay like the Yamaha MJC8? Other brands as well..

Item #1 is covered
Item #2 could be handled one at a time as it should be by swapping the desired synths midi output to the Octatrack midi input channel.

Overall it sounds good, just you probably don't want to handle Item #2 in a merge function because that can cause problems.
Old 5th September 2011
See -I dont want to use any patchbay and swipe anything. The whole point of it is not touch anything except instrument knobs tutt No fiddling around in the middle of a great groove...
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

It should be fine as you only use the midi outs of those instruments, and not midi thru. I use the merge myself, going into the virus, and it works like a charm. The problem i could imagine, is if the midi clocks doubled up or something, which has caused me problems in the past, with synths that feed the clock out of their thrus.
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibralux View Post
See -I dont want to use any patchbay and swipe anything. The whole point of it is not touch anything except instrument knobs tutt No fiddling around in the middle of a great groove...
my DMC MX-8 is set and forget. there are 6 inputs and 8 outputs. the computer and MPC are merged and the MPC has two merged inputs (PC 16000x) i have 6 devices than have sequencers that i can program in step time and then record into the MPC with little more than pressing a button.

it's really quite simple and very worth the effort.
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mildheadwound View Post
It should be fine as you only use the midi outs of those instruments, and not midi thru. I use the merge myself, going into the virus, and it works like a charm. The problem i could imagine, is if the midi clocks doubled up or something, which has caused me problems in the past, with synths that feed the clock out of their thrus.
make sure nothing has a soft merge on the MIDI out.
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

perhaps something like this will help -

Synthony Music's Synth & Midi Museum

The term 'patchbay' is misleading to some extent when referring to these units! as once you have plugged all your cables in, the 'patching' is achieved by single button pushes recalling preset routing configurations.
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Keep in mind with set ups like this how midi works: It is a serial +5V rail that is pulled to ground to transmit it's digital pulses (at a glacial rate by today's standards). If you want to keep it tight, you ALWAYS want to buffer this signal via a through box, never through a "thru" port for more than 1 or 2 devices. A simple through circuit will only add a negligible amount of latency that will duplicate the signal over many midi ports as compared to a "software" through

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search