The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
I am a Slut/ Please give me a hand :) Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

I am a Slut/ Please give me a hand :)

I own a Virus TI2, a FR Revolution2, Mopho Kbd, Tetra and Evolver Desktop.

DO I really need sonically any of these cause I'm kind of short on money :( ? :
PolyEvolver, Nord Lead, Yamaha AN1X.

Old 5th September 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentokan View Post

ill buy your nord lead
Old 5th September 2011
Quote:

Which is the one that you use least day to day? Get rid of that one.
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

You have a nice set up. If you need money right now then obviously buying more gear should be the main goal... You are a true slut. Anyways I agree that a nord would be nice
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:

I wasn t too clear I mean I want to buy the PolyE or the AN1x or the NordLead do I really need any of these taking into account that I have the first 5
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:

I'd dump the Mopho because you already have the Tetra, get the PolyEvolver, and dump the Evolver, and of course pick up a Nord and Yamaha, because that's the slutty thing to do. I personally don't mind 'overlap', but the Dave Smith stuff is severe overlap when you're talking mono vs. poly synths of the same line. I'd go for the Nord LEad 2x, since that seems to be the most popular. I got the G2, which I think is the better way to go... but I got it when they weren't insane in price either, so I'm a fine one to talk. I got rid of the AN1x a long time ago (like 10 years ago or so), got the AN expansion board for one of the Yamaha synths, and subsequently got rid of it as well. Just doesn't float my boat really, or float it enough that I believe that my overlap from other hardware is too much in that department.

Devon
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear
I am a Slut/ Please give me a hand :)

Maybe get rid of the Mono Evolver if you're getting a Poly Evolver but I wouldn't get rid of the Mopho KB if you're keeping the Tetra... I have them both and would miss having the Mopho Keyboard to control the Tetra.

I'd like to try an An1x myself...
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Let me rephrase. I got the TI, mopho kbd, tetra, fr revolution, and evolver desktop.
I like them and not gonna sell any.
I still want a polyevolver or a nord lead or an an1x, but do I really need any of these? I mean I would like some advice from people having experience with these synths.
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Nord FTW

I am new to the Nord (I scored an expanded Nord Lead 1), but I have little experience with other VAs. But I just can't believe what this thing can do: when you can put it in drum performance mode on each of the 4 banks and have 32 tweakable tones at your fingertips, it's just an insane amount of power. It's almost too much, frankly. You just get stuck turning knobs and marveling at the resonance and the tuning and the massive basses and the high pass filtering and the two oscillators on the same 4 bar thing for 2 hours. It's hard to make actual tracks. I suppose you just record yourself turning all the knobs....

I love it so much. I also suspect that this older rev of Nord has something special to it, although I have no experience with any other Nord.
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Anyone else? Come on guys..I am in pain )))))))))))
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Poly Evolver? Nah, you don't need it. You can do half of what it can do with your Mopho and Tetra polychained up, and you have way more control over the analogue portions with the Mopho KB.

If you really need the wavetable stuff stacked with the analog stuff, you can just do a midi stack with the TI2 and the Tetra and if you really need the digital stuff through the CEM filter and the TI2's filters won't do, you can just run the TI2's output through the Mopho.

AN1X? Ehh, I would gather your TI can do anything the AN1X can do. And the TI has more knobs and features.

Nord? I have an NL2x and I like it a lot. The more I play with it, the more it grows on me. But I've also considered selling it and getting a Virus, if that means anything to you. Save yourself some money and get the rack version. The keyboard is nothing special. I have the keyboard version, but only for live use convenience.
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Thanks v. much man! :-)
Anyone else wants to give a hand?
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

A true slut needs them all. Well except maybe the Nord and Yamaha. I'm not keen on them.
Your probably always going to be short on money. May as well buy the synths and get used too it.
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Maniac

I wouldn't say essential but then, that's not half the fun.

I'd go for the AN1X if you really had to choose. If money is that tight at the moment then consider buying one, trying it out for a couple of weeks and then resell if it's not meeting your expectations.
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Get the Nord =o]
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Ok, I am a slut, but a practical one. I mean I'm not a collector. I had very many synths, but I keep only what I use.
So not really know what to do. I produce psytrance and psychill. I believe mopho/tetra is the perfect analog poly in making, and the virus the perfect v.a. but lately I got the evolvet and I feel it sounds so good, but because I ain't got the money for a polyevolvet, I was thinking of getting another 2 evolvers. I also have my eye on a nord. Thing is I had a 2x and sold but maybe I was a beginer then and didn't know how to use it or maybe nordl 1 or 2 sound better, crunchier, don't know. And about an1x I thought for a long time that it sounds good, but after I bought supernova thinking the same just to find it inferior to the virus I don't want to make same mistake again.
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
And about an1x I thought for a long time that it sounds good, but after I bought supernova thinking the same just to find it inferior to the virus I don't want to make same mistake again.
I like my Supernova II and Virus C. The AN1x pales in comparison, IMHO. It's very old in the digital VA scheme of things. The SNII always makes me smile every time I fiddle with it. The AN1x 'grid' editing system, to me is a bit of a pain. It's a poor man's interface. I'd much rather have a knobby/slidy interface like a Nord/SNII/MS2000/Q/MicroWaveII/JP8080/etc. for editing than that interface any day. The engine was good for its time, but I think the Virus surpasses it.

Devon
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Come on guys, some more advices!
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Anyone?
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
I wasn t too clear I mean I want to buy the PolyE or the AN1x or the NordLead do I really need any of these taking into account that I have the first 5
How will you know what you need until you have them all?

Posted from a scoring stage or recording studio via the Gearslutz iPhone app
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearOnTheGo View Post
How will you know what you need until you have them all?

Posted from a scoring stage or recording studio via the Gearslutz iPhone app
well...I ain't got the money to have them all really... exactly why I posted here right?...
I am sure there are people with more experience than me in some departments to give me advice..
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

I'm sure there are people with experience with these synths...
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Maniac

You have an evolver already so, it's between the other two. Both the Nord and AN1X were based on the Prophet 5. You're best listening to as many demos as you can on youtube until you decide as no one can tell you what you need or is the sound you're looking for. I've attached a couple of my patches off the AN1X.

Maybe you need none of them.
Attached Files

AN1X PAD.wav (1.62 MB, 38 views)

AN1X ROUGH.wav (1.23 MB, 36 views)

AN1X BRASSY.wav (1.25 MB, 33 views)

AN1X WIDE BASS.wav (1.18 MB, 90 views)

Old 6th September 2011
Gear Addict

I feel like you're just being an info slut, and not using your noggin.

The polyevolver kbd is a great unit. Sounds like 4 evolvers with a 61-key board and better controls. If you want more voices consider it. Personally, as a player I find any fewer than 6 voices irritating, and am not really happy until I have 8. As a result, I could not rationalize holding onto a PEK without an extra poly rack, which I couldn't rationalize the cost of. However, if you have $3-3500 sitting around, 8 voices of evolved is great.

A Nord 2x would be a great compliment to what you have. Great reed sounds, wood block sounds, metallic sounds. It always sits interestingly in a mix, though often begs for external effects. The interface is wonderful.

I have no experience with this particular Yamaha unit, but you don't seem to be getting any seriously positive feedback, and a number of folks are asserting that you can get the same sounds out of the virus, which wouldn't surprise me.

Overall, it looks like you have a lot of good sound sources with decent synthesis control. The Nord would compliment well. If you want to expand your sound pallet, some FM synth or sample driven synth like an E-Mu Protus 2000 series might be more fun.

Sent from my Droid using Gearslutz.com App
Old 6th September 2011
Jose Ramón Alvarado Villa

Quote:
Anyone else? Come on guys..I am in pain )))))))))))
Sell all except the Virus, then buy yourself a proper analogue like OB-8 and a proper processor like Eventide DSP-4000 and you'll have more in the sonic arsenal than any of mentioned, no matter how you stack them.
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaytranzmit View Post
You have an evolver already so, it's between the other two. Both the Nord and AN1X were based on the Prophet 5. You're best listening to as many demos as you can on youtube until you decide as no one can tell you what you need or is the sound you're looking for. I've attached a couple of my patches off the AN1X.

Maybe you need none of them.
Great man, thanks! Actually it sounds pretty good!
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodfellow View Post
I feel like you're just being an info slut, and not using your noggin.

The polyevolver kbd is a great unit. Sounds like 4 evolvers with a 61-key board and better controls. If you want more voices consider it. Personally, as a player I find any fewer than 6 voices irritating, and am not really happy until I have 8. As a result, I could not rationalize holding onto a PEK without an extra poly rack, which I couldn't rationalize the cost of. However, if you have $3-3500 sitting around, 8 voices of evolved is great.

A Nord 2x would be a great compliment to what you have. Great reed sounds, wood block sounds, metallic sounds. It always sits interestingly in a mix, though often begs for external effects. The interface is wonderful.

I have no experience with this particular Yamaha unit, but you don't seem to be getting any seriously positive feedback, and a number of folks are asserting that you can get the same sounds out of the virus, which wouldn't surprise me.

Overall, it looks like you have a lot of good sound sources with decent synthesis control. The Nord would compliment well. If you want to expand your sound pallet, some FM synth or sample driven synth like an E-Mu Protus 2000 series might be more fun.

Sent from my Droid using Gearslutz.com App
Thanks man!
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Solaris View Post
Sell all except the Virus, then buy yourself a proper analogue like OB-8 and a proper processor like Eventide DSP-4000 and you'll have more in the sonic arsenal than any of mentioned, no matter how you stack them.
I don't know if I can find a OB 8 but thanks anyway
Old 6th September 2011
Jose Ramón Alvarado Villa

Quote:
I don't know if I can find a )B 8 but thanks anyway
Damn they're no longer in the stores for the past 25 years.

That sucks!
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Great man, thanks! Actually it sounds pretty good!
No problem

I think I'd be inclined to sell the Revolution as you've got a nice set of synths there. Like someone has already said, maybe the missing synth is something FM or even a rompler to give you more varied tone.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search