The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
* Best Plug ins for creating expressive Electro sounds * Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Nut

* Best Plug ins for creating expressive Electro sounds *

What are some of the Best Plug ins for creating expressive Electro / Dubstep sounds? A lot of people use Massive, but I don't want to jump on the bandwagon unless I have to. Are there any other options for plug ins where I can create expressive sounds?

Thanks for the suggestions : )
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Nut

All of them

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Gearslutz.com App
Old 5th September 2011
all I can say is that the Imposcar and Aalto serve me well in getting some expressive plugin sounds.
But expressiveness is in the hands of the person using/programming it (of course)
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Nut

Nexus
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Maniac

omnisphere?

but as always the expressiveness lies in your hands, not the synth's. massive might be a 'bandwagon' tool, but it is very good. give it a month or two of messing with and see if you 'can't' get an expressive sound
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

It is my opinion that a tool with options the depth of those contained in Massive is fairly immune to any kind of "bandwagon" usage simply because if two users were to sit down behind it for a week with no presets I'm sure the results and subsequent output would wildly vary between them!

Sent from my PC36100 using Gearslutz.com App
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbonthabeat View Post
A lot of people use Massive, but I don't want to jump on the bandwagon
It's not a bandwagon, because there's loads of sounds in there that haven't been explored yet. It makes as much sense as not buying a Virus TI because lots of those sounds have been used in trance. Well, hello - it's got knobs, they're there to be tweaked.

Here, check this:

Quote:
Are there any other options for plug ins where I can create expressive sounds?
What do you have already?

At least you phrase it "where I can create" instead of "where I get a boatload of", which is commendable
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

IMO, if you want expression, it is more important to have the physical means to impart it (velocity, aftertouch, mod wheel, pitch bend, control pedal, ribbon controller, joystick, breath controller, etc) than the sound source itself. Once you have a decent controller, most synths will allow you to map physical things to synthesis parameters.

That said, the most expressive synth I've used is the Yamaha VL70m (never had the chance to try the VL1), so I would look towards physical modeling synths.
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post
What do you have already?

At least you phrase it "where I can create" instead of "where I get a boatload of", which is commendable
Thank you to everyone for the responses!

I use Sylenth for my dubstep/electronic production.

I'm well aware that creating sounds is where it's at if you want to make something that'll perk the listeners ears and also if you don't want to sound generic. I'm just trying to find the best tools to spark my creativity.

I tried out Omnisphere for a little bit, tried to get a wobble out of it for Dubstep, but couldn't...I don't know if I was just doing it wrong, or is there a not a way to do it in Omnisphere? (maybe I just wasn't familiar enough with it?)

thanks
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil View Post
all I can say is that the Imposcar and Aalto serve me well in getting some expressive plugin sounds.
But expressiveness is in the hands of the person using/programming it (of course)
I've just bought imposcar 2 and have been completely blown away by how expressive and organic it is. i think it took me about 5 min of demoing to know I needed that synth
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbonthabeat View Post
I tried out Omnisphere for a little bit, tried to get a wobble out of it for Dubstep, but couldn't...I don't know if I was just doing it wrong, or is there a not a way to do it in Omnisphere? (maybe I just wasn't familiar enough with it?)
... I'm pretty sure Omnisphere has a filter. It sounds to me like you need to spend more time learning the real nuts and bolts of synthesis. If you want "expression" (which I take to mean "performance expression") from your sounds try modulating parameters with velocity, keyboard tracking or mod wheel. This will make your sounds more dynamic.
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear
Sylenth 1 is probably my most overused. When it comes to expressive I love using Trillian for bass as I can just write a groove then go in with my korg nano and tweak in program and also live to change things up. Those two with some good drum samples from vengance or something will do good. I usually like to do my drums via rewire in Ableton because it's fast and offers extreme flexibility with ease. All synths I do via midi in Logic Pro and when done bounce them down and run them back through some high end pres like neve/api.

Imposcar and Odditiy(gforce synths) are really cool too for electro sounds as well as a ARP like the wayoutware version. The MS-20 is also a really used sound in electro and electro clash for the dirty sound it can get. Massive is cool for building things from scratch and using user presets...It can kinda do anything and is used a lot, but more so if you build your own from scratch IMO, but there are sound banks out there for all genres.

If I was making a electro song right now I'd pull up sylenth, Trillian, imposcar and Korg Ms-20.

Also the Decapitator Plugin is a must to get some great grit and fat sound. Lately I've been really liking the Waves tape sim Mpx to dirty things up and using the delay/verb oh so slightly to add some depth to a bass layer or lead bass.
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Z3TA+ 2

Z3TA must have been used on at least half the Electro/Electro House track from 2004 onward.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search