The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What to buy now... Utility Software
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

What to buy now...

Would like to take suggestions on what to buy next. I like to make music that is somewhere along electro-house + progressive.

Right now I am itb.. using reaper, have massive, sylenth, albino. my vst sampler is Directwave.. from FL i believe.. don't like it at all. No lfo sync, not a lot of features.

i have a midi controller keyboard with 16 pots.
justy got a pair of decent monitors.
have a 4 channel dj mixer.

my computer is a gateway 2.4 ghz - quad core or dual i forget, 4gig ram. -it keeps up pretty good. only usb option for soundcard. right now am using a dj controller that has asio for soundcard, but will be upgrading soundcard.

I would like to be creative, and a piece of gear would be fun for me. However, my vst sampler sucks and upgrading to kontakt would be nice.

i would like to put around a $700 budget on.

with my computer setup and a decent usb soundcard will i be able to work with outboard gear? i am not a keyboard player, so most of my synth parts will be programmed in.

suggestions? thanks
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewspuppet View Post
with my computer setup and a decent usb soundcard will i be able to work with outboard gear?
Yes. Definitely look into upgrading your soundcard. Then you could look into maybe purchasing a hardware synth to add to your setup. There are lots of choices for a synth under $700: M-Audio Venom, Novation Ultranova, etc., just to name a couple.
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

Soundcard first. Then take a look at maschine.
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

Well, since you don't like Directwave try this vst sampler:http://vemberaudio.se/shortcircuit.php
Sounds great, and best off all it is free.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Shortcircuit kicks ass. Use version 1.

If you don't have a soundcard with a latency < 256 ms, you are missing out. RME will get you there. You can probably score an original Hammerfall 9632 PCI for $500 or less.
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

I do have shortcircuit, but I admit I haven't gotten that deep into it yet. I have used it for editing and layering drum hits,.. love it for that.

Does shortcircuit have auto map where it tells you the pitch of a sample?

Also does it load any formats besides wav? I have some sample banks with various formats like sf2, kontakt, etc.... I find it a hassle/ am not very skiled at setting continous loop points for a sample, it's nice to be able to load a looped sample already.

I ended up just picking up a Fast Track Pro usb soundcard for $130... we'll see how it works for me.
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewspuppet View Post
I ended up just picking up a Fast Track Pro usb soundcard for $130... we'll see how it works for me.
Not a good choice, I have owned one of these and I could not get it to run well on my 2.6GHz quad-core desktop that has 8 GB of RAM. So I bought a PCI audio/midi card and all of my problems were solved. I will never use a usb interface ever again.
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

I think my Fast Track Pro does just fine, its a good little worker.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search