The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
ideas on creating a similar technique to this? Multi-Effects Processors (HW)
Old 5th September 2011
Here for the gear

ideas on creating a similar technique to this?

this was the only track i could think of with the effect I would like to know more about, i presume it is an automated delay? he starts winding it up around 0:30 seconds in... any help much appreciated

Paul Woolford-Erotic Discourse - YouTube
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Nut

i dont know an awfull lot about the production of this track, but i do know it was all performed live, so live/manual automation
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

WOW... striking track.

I'd concur that it's all about delay modulation.

In fact, it's possible this entire track is created from just ONE kick drum sample... I think the tonal elements are 'playing' the self-oscillating feedback of the delay.

If I was to try to recreate something like this, my first port of call would be Native Instruments 'The Finger'... which I imagine could do stuff like this. The fact that 'thesystemite' mentions it was all 'done live' further leads me to suspect it's The Finger.
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear
ideas on creating a similar technique to this?

Errotic discourse came out before the Finger was in development. I'd say it's delays!
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

Okay... so... I just did a google search for 'paul woolford electronic discourse' to find out the year from Discogs... turns out it was 2005... which came as a surprise.
Paul Woolford Presents Bobby Peru - Erotic Discourse (Vinyl) at Discogs
Definitely not 'The Finger' then, as that came way after 2005!

While I was on google... fifth result... existing thread in this sub-forum:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/elect...se-effect.html

Did you try the search function before posting?

Thanks for bringing this to my attention though... I'm going to buy it! ;-)

EDIT: Oh... Chem Bros beat me to pointing out my shameful error!!!
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Guru

On the other hand, every effect that is somewhat interesting stands to be simplified, all-in-one'd and commoditized. The flanger is one of the earliest examples - so the Finger would not be a wrong suggestion if it does that with ease. Of course, the original doesn't have to be made using that, but it's the end result that counts, right?
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post
On the other hand, every effect that is somewhat interesting stands to be simplified, all-in-one'd and commoditized. The flanger is one of the earliest examples - so the Finger would not be a wrong suggestion if it does that with ease. Of course, the original doesn't have to be made using that, but it's the end result that counts, right?
Defo... The Finger would still be my 'go to' if I was about to try to recreate this
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Sounds to me like a 4/4 kick with a syncopated pattern on something like a 101 or any synth that has a filter that can self oscillate....the envelope is tight as a nun with little to no decay....hence percussive sounding! He is effecting that pattern with a delay unit and it sure does sound like a live tweak of the delay time frequency. I found that exact sound playing around on a digitech studio quad years ago, set the feedback relatively long and when you tune the repeat frequency up to its higher limits it starts resonating in the pitched sound range...if you know what I mean.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search