The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Non keyboard player wants synth under 700; which for midi use with daw AND learn/jam Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Nut
Non keyboard player wants synth under 700; which for midi use with daw AND learn/jam

One of the controllers with software looks very attractive price wise, the Arturia Analog Experience (The Laboratory 49). Comes with a nice looking software package. But I am starting to think I want to learn keys and would like an actual instrument that will also control software. How is the M-Audio Venom; would I be giving up a lot as compared to the Arturia in terms of being able to utilize software? Any other suggestions bearing in mind I would like to keep price down below 600 - 700?
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightfire View Post
But I am starting to think I want to learn keys and would like an actual instrument that will also control software.
A digital piano is probably going to make you happier, then. Yamaha P-series in the low numbers (P95B is only $550 on Amazon). Both the units you name don't have good keyboard action, the Yam's going to be decent-good.

Quote:
How is the M-Audio Venom; would I be giving up a lot as compared to the Arturia in terms of being able to utilize software?
Not much. Arturia's keyboard is not self-contained; it won't make any sound by itself, while the Venom will. However, the Venom has fewer controllers. Controllers are not hard to add afterwards, however.

But if you want to learn to play, no amount of controllers is going to help you. Polyphony and good-feeling keys are.
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

I agree about the electric piano. If you're serious about taking lessons or learning you need 88 weighted keys.

If you can save a bit more money, I'd suggest you get a kurzweil workstation. Good keybeds. The used K series are more than 700, but you'd get a great synth as well (albeit a bit challenging to program).
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

I think the M-Audio Venom would be a good choice for what you're looking for. You mentioned you want to learn keys...synth or piano? If you want to learn to play piano, then I would definitely look for a weighted, 88-key digital piano. However, if not, then a synth would be ideal.
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

An electronic piano is great if you only need it for piano sounds. But if you want a more "complete" synth you can draw other sounds from (e.g., strings, brass, basses, drums, etc) and maybe build a full song, you're going to need some sort of workstation.

Newer workstations like the Korg M3 are expensive, but you can probably find an older model within your budget. You need 76 or 88 weighted keys for your piano lessons, so I'd suggest something like a Roland XP80, Yamaha S80. Korg workstations (Trinity, Triton, etc) tend to hold their value a bit better, so they're probably around $1000 - maybe an older model like the Korg N264 would work for you.
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Nut
Thanks for the suggestions.

I have no plans to take formal lessons - did that for 8 years or so way back when. Don't remember a whole lot.

I do want a synth and not just an electric piano. And from what I am hearing here is that if I want a good keyboard with weighted keys AND good synth features I may have to up the budget some. OR possibly buy a good keyboard and one of the smaller synths as well. I want to create inside software but want to also experiment with things as well as enhance my ability to play keys. I have these tunes going on in my head that need venting.
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

You want something tactile that can also control some daw instruments. You can do thaT with any decent midi polysynth. From there. Start looking at midi polyphonic synths that have good midi implementation. Given your familiarity I'd reccomend a Juno 106. Very good midi and very intuitive with a good range of possibilities
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Used Alesis QS 6.1 or 8.1 - Synth and good Pianos.

It's got a PC to Computer interface..... it's not as easy as USB but it uses the PC serial port which is always available as far as I'm concerned.
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Nut
Would an electric piano trigger something like this synth? Wouldn't that give the best of both worlds?
Microzwerge

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search