The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Ableton Live Arrangement view Question DAW Software
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Nut

Ableton Live Arrangement view Question

Hi Guys,

Quick question; I'm using Ableton live and i'm about to attempt to use the rubbish arrangement view. I have a drumrack with several different sounds triggered by different scenes on the same track.

How do I trigger different scenes in arrangement view on the same track?!

Thanks,

Luke.
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by devontodetroit View Post
I have a drumrack with several different sounds triggered by different scenes on the same track.

How do I trigger different scenes in arrangement view on the same track?!
If you already have it, why is this a question?

Arrangement view is linear. It's Cubase-lite. "Triggering" is Session terminology.
Old 5th September 2011
Hi Luke,

triggering scenes via mouseclick is only possible in session view. You can however start/stop scenes with your computer keyboard or with a midi controller while being in arrangement view.
All scene or clip start/stop actions can be recorded on the fly and are then ready for editing in arrangement view.

Greets
Old 5th September 2011
Another option to transfer stuff from session to arrangement is to use simple drag and drop.
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Nut

1. Arrangement view in ableton is not rubbish. If you think it's rubbish don't use it. If you don't know how to use it, don't call it rubbish

...anyways, i think what you're trying to do is get you (by the sounds of it) is get your session clips into ableton's timeline. In this case, hit the global record and then launch them. Or copy and paste them into the arrangement view.
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Nut

So I have to drag them in or press play? OK Will do.

Ok let me rephrase that, Abletons arrangment mode is considerably worse than that of Cubase or Protools IMO

Thanks for the help guys.
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear
Global record button and scene launching is the funnest way. Edit later,

or just click a clip from the session view, hold down the mouse button, press tab to switch to arrangment view and put it where you need it
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by bensaddiction View Post
Global record button and scene launching is the funnest way. Edit later,
this. esp. if you have a launchpad/apc whatever
Old 5th September 2011
Quote:
Ok let me rephrase that, Abletons arrangment mode is considerably worse than that of Cubase or Protools
Yeah... No.
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
So I have to drag them in or press play? OK Will do.

Ok let me rephrase that, Abletons arrangment mode is considerably worse than that of Cubase or Protools IMO

Thanks for the help guys.
Let me rephrase that for you even better " I should sit down read the manual and actually learn Ableton Live"

If you try to make Ableton Live behave like Cubase or Pro Tools or Sonar or other tools, please unistall and install your previous DAW.

For me the biggest mistake Ableton has done with Live is to keep Arrangment view in the first place, as already Live is 90% clip view anyway. Of course it does so to make people like you and other coming from cubase and other archaic linear DAWs feel more comfortable and of course only gave them the excuse to bypass clip view and then come inside here and complain about a view that the average experienced ableton user will use 0.001% in the time.

Personally I think that the Arrangement must go , its an unnecessary source of confusion.

Ableton Live is like NOTHING out there, this must be imprinted in every new user's mind. If you are not ready to learn a completely new revolutionary way of making music , and the whole learning all these things from start intimidates you then go back to Cubase and Pro Tools and save yourself the frustration.

It took me around 1 year to really understand what Ableton live is all about and the next 4 years to really feel comfortable with the all clip view workflow techniques, but I dont have a doubt in my mind now that as DAW Live is far better than anything else out there, and yes I have started making computer music by spending 3 years in Cubase.
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilon View Post
Personally I think that the Arrangement must go , its an unnecessary source of confustion.
Hell no. It does what I did in Cubase SX3 with a fraction of the bull****.
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

Please God don't take the arrangement view away!!!

Sent from my PC36100 using Gearslutz.com App
Old 5th September 2011
The whole fun in live is to jam out stuff from Session View into Arrangement View, and then edit.
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Creating a track from start to finish in the session view is nonsense and defeats the purpose and function of the session view unless your using it for live gigs.

For studio work you build your ideas in the session view and then arrange a track out of it, what's so confusing about it ?

Quote:
Personally I think that the Arrangement must go , its an unnecessary source of confusion.
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Edgar View Post
The whole fun in live is to jam out stuff from Session View into Arrangement View, and then edit.
Exactly!

Coming from Logic I find the session view is fantastic, and the arrangement view is also pretty good. Haven't opened Logic in the last month.
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by FUBAR View Post
For studio work you build your ideas in the session view and then arrange a track out of it, what's so confusing about it ?
nailed it.

There are 2 things I'd like to see in Arrangement view though... Sample accurate automation (applies to session view too)

& some more professional options to help control recording automation from DAW controllers, midi knobs etc (latch, touch, write etc) at the moment recording automation is ok if you nail it the first time but a pain doing 2nd passes
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bensaddiction View Post
nailed it.

There are 2 things I'd like to see in Arrangement view though... Sample accurate automation (applies to session view too)

& some more professional options to help control recording automation from DAW controllers, midi knobs etc (latch, touch, write etc) at the moment recording automation is ok if you nail it the first time but a pain doing 2nd passes

so so true - maybe v9?
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

I don't understand all this bollocks about the arrangement view. It's good... in fact its better than most other DAWS. It's a really nice way of working, it's just un natural if you're used to other DAWS. Also it's fiddly because its laptop friendly.
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Maniac

The arrangement is just as tight and streamlined as the rest of Ableton. I dont understand all this talk about arrangement being a secondary thing Ableton just added as a bonus. What makes Ableton very appealing to me is the high level of flexibility and ability to adjust my workflow.
Old 6th September 2011
Here for the gear

Try recording yourself triggering the clips you want. Simply hit global record while you are in session view and start triggering your clips and scenes either by mouse or midi controller. Then tab over to arrangement view and edit all your triggers, automation etc.
Old 2nd October 2011
Gear Nut

Hi guys, wow I totally didn't mean to come across as being negative about ableton in general.. I've been using since version 3 and I'm a complete fanboy. It's a huge part of my sound and couldn't live without it.

Anyways, that said I have encountered another problem. I've done something to the clips that are payed down in the arrangement view and they've become greyed out and don't play! Will post a screenshot in the morning.

Thanks!

Luke..
Old 2nd October 2011
nms
Lives for gear

Go to the top of screen and click the red button to the right of OVR button.
Old 2nd October 2011
Lives for gear
Its because while playing those tracks have deviated from the arrangement. (i.e. you might have launched the session clips during playback) - devontodetroit has told you how to fix it.

Its actually a cool feature of Ableton for live playing or jamming where the arrangement plays as written until you start messing with it. You will notice that lots of the demo projects have clips in the session view aswell as a fully written and automated arrangement view.
Old 3rd October 2011
nms
Lives for gear

using live since v3 and don't know what the red button is for? hmmm.. you might want to learn to use a program before you call parts of it rubbish!
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search