The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Any Jam and Spoon love? Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

Any Jam and Spoon love?

I was listening to Tripomatic fairytales yesterday and i still love that album.
Does anyone know what gear they used or have any links to interviews.
It doesnt sound like tons of analogue stuff, i wouldnt be suprised if it were just a Juno, jd800 and some samplers.. real nice vibe about the album though.
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

'Stella' still sounds as good today as it did back then. Not sure I could say the same of 'Right In The Night'.

Not really familiar with any of their stuff besides those. Wouldn't be surprised if it were all digital though.
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

Yes, agreed "Right in the Night" is a little cheddary, but it was at the time too, sort of "euro" mid 90's house track...
But there is lots of nice ambientish textures and moods on the Tripomatic Fairytales albums and Odyssey to Anyoona still sounds fantastic to me, Stella as well. Really sad about Mark Spoon passing so young (relatively)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonator View Post
'Stella' still sounds as good today as it did back then. Not sure I could say the same of 'Right In The Night'.

Not really familiar with any of their stuff besides those. Wouldn't be surprised if it were all digital though.
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:

As much as I like "Stella", "Keep rockin" just does it for me a little bit more

edit sorry, it's "Keep on movin"

Last edited by jaytranzmit; 5th September 2011 at 04:19 PM.. Reason: incorrect title
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Head

Nalin & Kane remix

I've never heard Tripomatic fairytales but I love Stella. I actually like the Nalin & Kane remix even better than the original. If you've never heard it - strap yourself in for the ride(its about 13minutes long)! A masterpiece of trance music.
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear
Lots of love for Jam and Spoon from me! Mainly for the original tracks, not remixes with vocals and what have you.

The 'Who Opened The door To Nowhere' track is electronic transcendence itself. And I like the more 'cheesy' stuff like 'Right in The night' as well.
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Nut

Much love here for 'Follow Me', absolutely amazing breakdown (walking the border of cheese with fine style):

Jam & Spoon - Follow Me (Original Mix) "Full Track" - YouTube

I always found 'Right in the night' too Europop-y, but loved the deep Kid Paul mix:

Jam & Spoon - Right In The Night [Fall In Love With Music] [Kid Paul Remix] - YouTube

Obviously 'Stella' and 'Odyssey to Anyoona' will live for ever
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

Yer, who opened the door to nowhere is bliss!

Quote:
Originally Posted by himalaya View Post
Lots of love for Jam and Spoon from me! Mainly for the original tracks, not remixes with vocals and what have you.

The 'Who Opened The door To Nowhere' track is electronic transcendence itself. And I like the more 'cheesy' stuff like 'Right in The night' as well.
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

Stella and the Age of Love remix are the best IMO

The Age Of Love (Jam & Spoon mix) - YouTube

Their music was pretty damn well ahead of it's time, technically and production wise..

I love to play those 2 tracks in my Ableton Live dj sets!
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
You said it.

Stella is the soundtrack of the sun coming up over a rave in the early 90's. Oh the early 90's, I miss em'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovas View Post
Stella and the Age of Love remix are the best IMO
True.

I have to throw Moby's Go is up there for me too.
Old 5th September 2011
jlw
Gear Head

I got given Jam and Spoons ''My First Fantastic FF'' Ep on vinyl when W was about 15 or so, I would have thought stella if not the whole EP most def used Analogue synth(s), just from the sound. Yeh Keep on Movin was a beast, I remember that one from the other side
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear
"Who Opened the Door to Nowhere" is one of those tracks which does not need a video, I feel. Every time I hear it, my mind unfolds a spiral of visual stimuli.
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

It sounds like a roland digital filter for lots of those sweeps and rising sounds.. id bet a jd800 was heavily used

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlw View Post
I got given Jam and Spoons ''My First Fantastic FF'' Ep on vinyl when W was about 15 or so, I would have thought stella if not the whole EP most def used Analogue synth(s), just from the sound. Yeh Keep on Movin was a beast, I remember that one from the other side
Old 25th June 2014
Lives for gear

Bump. The sound of the Tripomatic Fairytales albums was ahead of its time, and can still be played in mixes with more contemporary material, without sounding dated. Yes, the synths sound very digital, but I don't mind. The JD800 has been mentioned, but I can also hear some typical Yamaha SY/TG resonant filters, if I'm not mistaken.

Does anyone have an idea of what kind of crazy stereo processing effects that was used on the Tripomatic Fairytales albums?

My best guess is that they used either QSound or Roland RSS? I doubt that they used any binaurally encoded audio, since the effect is much more convincing on speakers than on headphones. The track "Words and Dana" is one of many examples.
Old 25th June 2014
Stella.
End of story.
:-)
Old 25th June 2014
Our high school had (and still does have) an annual "Many Moods of Music" concert - like a Battle of the Bands, but nobody wins - and in 1995 when I was in grade 12 I did a cover of Right In The Night with a vocalist, a Korg M1, an Atari 1040ST, and a Roland TR-505. Pretty sure I wore a Cat In The Hat hat while I was performing too. Ah, good memories...
Old 25th June 2014
Lives for gear

"You gotta say yes to another excess" <3 <3
Old 25th June 2014
Lives for gear

Age of love remix is superb.
Old 25th June 2014
Lives for gear

Yet another band that couldn't write interesting melodies. I really tried to give Triptomatic a solid go. It sounds like a lot of generic arpeggios over equally generic "early trance" beats, to me. They may have created a "sound" - right place, right time and all that - but their music definitely isn't very memorable nor has it aged well.

The best thing J&S did was featuring Plavka Coleridge on vocals, but she was far better utilised on Hyperreal by The Shamen. (Now there is a deeply underappreciated band: they were infinitely more creative than J&S and yet everyone defines them based on "Ebeneezer Goode" and conveniently forgetting they wrote other music...)
Old 25th June 2014
Hispanos in space

Old 25th June 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleAndroid View Post
Our high school had (and still does have) an annual "Many Moods of Music" concert - like a Battle of the Bands, but nobody wins - and in 1995 when I was in grade 12 I did a cover of Right In The Night with a vocalist, a Korg M1, an Atari 1040ST, and a Roland TR-505. Pretty sure I wore a Cat In The Hat hat while I was performing too. Ah, good memories...
Heh....wait. Even Battle of the Bands has been reduced to an "everybody wins" scenario? You and I may look at as nobody wins but you know "they" don't. Ok, I'm probably just reading to much into it.

It does remind me of a conversation I had with a native when I moved to Cali. I said "Being from the east coast, it's kinda cool to see all the fields turn brown in the summer". The native replied "Oh no, it's not brown, it's golden."

Oh, and...

STELLA!!!

To me, all mixes of Age of Love pale in comparison to the New Age Mix("the original", as I like to call it).
Old 25th June 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasimirsBlake View Post
Yet another band that couldn't write interesting melodies. I really tried to give Triptomatic a solid go. It sounds like a lot of generic arpeggios over equally generic "early trance" beats, to me. They may have created a "sound" - right place, right time and all that - but their music definitely isn't very memorable nor has it aged well.
I can sympathize with this view, although my conclusion is the opposite. Yes, there are not really any groundbreaking melodies or harmonies on that album, and the rhythms are pretty generic. So by these criteria, you are correct. But today when electronic music is so dominated by its form and not by its content, the Jam & Spoon sound does not have that immediately recognizable "Early 90's sound" that you get when listening to similar artists from that time, such as Orbital, Thomas Heckmann, Lucky People Center... Sorry if I can't find better comparisons, but the J&S sound is pretty unique.

So what makes the "Jam & Spoon sound" so special?

1) Bandwidth. Back in 1993, it was conventional for albums with radio hits on them to have a bass roll-off somewhere around 50Hz. But on Tripomatic Fairytales, almost half of the tracks have significant information in the bottom octave, and a handful of tracks even have melodic content down there. That's rare even today, when it's easy to fall into the trap of using the bottom octave as an LFE for pumping effects and similar.

2) Separation in frequency. In the early 90s, it was quite common to have very dense mixes with a lot of congestion in the midrange or even in all frequency ranges. Having one Amen Break to make the mix sound dirty, was not always enough! You can hear how Jam & Spoon have used instruments that are carefully chosen so that they don't interfere with each other in frequency. This creates a sense of openness that is not typical of the early 90's, but rather typical for music from the 2000s when filters are now used everywhere to tidy up the mix.

3) Separation in space. If you know any other trance albums from 1993 that have such an immersive sound stage, please tell me so I can enjoy listening to them! Sit in the sweet spot in your studio, close your eyes, and enjoy. Oh, and for some reason, the effect works better on speakers than on headphones. Which is why I wondered what kind of technology that they used, guessing Roland RSS. They certainly didn't have Wave Arts Panorama back then
Old 25th June 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJB06 View Post
I was listening to Tripomatic fairytales yesterday and i still love that album.
Does anyone know what gear they used or have any links to interviews.
It doesnt sound like tons of analogue stuff, i wouldnt be suprised if it were just a Juno, jd800 and some samplers.. real nice vibe about the album though.
wow what a blast from the past, it was a great album I remember i played the hell out of it post clubs when chilling, was working in Our price records in London at the time and used to get my music el-cheapo as a staffer, on the gear they used it would surely of been mostly analogue & samplers, there was no such thing as a soft synth or Reason back when they cut that album...maybe an Atari and Cubase etc...

I must go find the album now and have a closer listen with older ears..thanks for bringing it up again..
Old 25th June 2014
Deleted 2ecf148
any plavka love that is the question!
Old 25th June 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
on the gear they used it would surely of been mostly analogue & samplers, there was no such thing as a soft synth or Reason back when they cut that album...maybe an Atari and Cubase etc...
In the early 90's, there was a divide between those who could afford huge digital workstation synths (M1/Wavestation/SY99/JD800/K2000...) and those who were stuck using older, less fancy synths - digital or analog, and cheap samplers. The "lust for analog" had not really gained momentum yet. Based on what I can hear from their sound, I think they Jam & Spoon were too busy being creative with workstations and other high-end digital gear, so there wasn't really much need for analog synths. But it sounds like they did use a 303 on some tracks...
Old 26th June 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hjelmevold View Post
In the early 90's, there was a divide between those who could afford huge digital workstation synths (M1/Wavestation/SY99/JD800/K2000...) and those who were stuck using older, less fancy synths - digital or analog, and cheap samplers. The "lust for analog" had not really gained momentum yet. Based on what I can hear from their sound, I think they Jam & Spoon were too busy being creative with workstations and other high-end digital gear, so there wasn't really much need for analog synths. But it sounds like they did use a 303 on some tracks...
if you had a tricked out akai 2800 or 3200 you were it...I was one of those struggling with much lesser equipment, I started off with a bass station 1, juno 6, an sh101 (I found on the side of the road) , an Akai s01 sampler, and an Atari with cubase on floppy...didn't even have an effects unit for the longest time, when I did get one it was a quadraverb, it was a chore to get something down I tell ya, but when you did you ran with it found a groove..
Old 26th June 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by bil_g View Post
Heh....wait. Even Battle of the Bands has been reduced to an "everybody wins" scenario? You and I may look at as nobody wins but you know "they" don't. Ok, I'm probably just reading to much into it.

It does remind me of a conversation I had with a native when I moved to Cali. I said "Being from the east coast, it's kinda cool to see all the fields turn brown in the summer". The native replied "Oh no, it's not brown, it's golden."
Yeah, we never thought of it as a contest or anything, even though other high schools in our town had more competitive band battles. It was more of a curated talent show (you had to audition).

I followed up Right in the Night in 1996 with Planet Soul's "Set You Free."
Old 26th June 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seccione View Post
"You gotta say yes to another excess" <3 <3
That was pretty "Yello"
Old 26th June 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hjelmevold View Post

3) Separation in space. If you know any other trance albums from 1993 that have such an immersive sound stage, please tell me so I can enjoy listening to them! Sit in the sweet spot in your studio, close your eyes, and enjoy. Oh, and for some reason, the effect works better on speakers than on headphones. Which is why I wondered what kind of technology that they used, guessing Roland RSS. They certainly didn't have Wave Arts Panorama back then

not trance but close, Enigma 1990 is also quite great in being inmersive.
Old 26th June 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleAndroid View Post
Yeah, we never thought of it as a contest or anything, even though other high schools in our town had more competitive band battles. It was more of a curated talent show (you had to audition).

I followed up Right in the Night in 1996 with Planet Soul's "Set You Free."
Yep, reading too much into it... Were you the "oddball" with a bunch of Nirvana wannabes or was there a diverse lineup? The last one I was involved in(89), I was just the guy who had to go out on stage and press a footpedal to start the drum track on the MMT-8 for the next song. They were kind of a mopey goth band with no drummer. The drums were from a K1, of all things...through the PA overhead. They came in third, which wasn't terrible considering all the rest were pretty much hair metal bands.

Anyway, speaking of memories and Right in the Night, I was reminded of this from 04...

RitN comes in around 32:30(followed by Scatman). The whole thing is pretty entertaining if you haven't seen it.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search