The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Any Jam and Spoon love? Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 26th June 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by bil_g View Post
Yep, reading too much into it... Were you the "oddball" with a bunch of Nirvana wannabes or was there a diverse lineup? The last one I was involved in(89), I was just the guy who had to go out on stage and press a footpedal to start the drum track on the MMT-8 for the next song. They were kind of a mopey goth band with no drummer. The drums were from a K1, of all things...through the PA overhead. They came in third, which wasn't terrible considering all the rest were pretty much hair metal bands.
I was definitely the only one at my school doing electronic music like that at that time - I'd have to dig out an old yearbook to be certain, but there was plenty of grunge and Radiohead and...hmmm, Oasis had probably washed ashore by that point too. I did a couple of other covers during lunchtime performances in the cafeteria - Bizarre Love Triangle and Groove Is In The Heart if memory serves - I guess I had a knack for finding singers who wanted to do their thing over a dance track.

It was funny though, all the artsy and music kids (who didn't have a clue) thought what I was doing was cool, but I got no respect from the ravers.
Old 26th June 2014
tun
Lives for gear

Stella was THE tune summer 91 in Ibiza... hazy memories of the terrace at Space on a Sunday morning!
Old 26th June 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleAndroid View Post
It was funny though, all the artsy and music kids (who didn't have a clue) thought what I was doing was cool, but I got no respect from the ravers.
Heh, figures.
Old 26th June 2014
Lives for gear

Tripomatic Fairytales - what a double album!

Beautifully-produced music that has really stood the test of time, unlike a lot of other 90's dross.

This thread is indeed poignant, as: "Markus Löffel (aka Spoon) died of a heart attack in his Berlin flat, on 11 January 2006 at the age of 39." (Wikipedia)

His amazing music lives on - this track probably being my absolute favourite:

Old 26th June 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hjelmevold View Post
In the early 90's, there was a divide between those who could afford huge digital workstation synths (M1/Wavestation/SY99/JD800/K2000...) and those who were stuck using older, less fancy synths - digital or analog, and cheap samplers. The "lust for analog" had not really gained momentum yet. Based on what I can hear from their sound, I think they Jam & Spoon were too busy being creative with workstations and other high-end digital gear, so there wasn't really much need for analog synths. But it sounds like they did use a 303 on some tracks...
In the early 90's when Jam El Mar was already an established figure behind the scenes and A&R for Sony Music Germany (if I remember correctly) his studio was packed with all kinds of stuff. From System 100, everything Roland with a '0' in the middle, Korg etc. to 'newer' digital stuff, he had it all. If you listen closely you hear it's a pretty 'hybrid' kind of sound. Imho the stella(r) production & mixing fools ppl into thinking it's all digital.
Old 26th June 2014
Lives for gear

Well said, AdilletteMan.
Old 30th June 2014
Here for the gear

Jam&Spoon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57NyOxu3aQA

can anyone hears if this is a JD800? sounds so Jupiter8...;

I tried to make those strings on my OBXa and Oberheim is more moving and less stable, I like more the obie-warmer strings but those are also verry impressive....

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search