The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Ibanez SW35 speaker question
Old 5th September 2011
Here for the gear

Ibanez SW35 speaker question

Alright, at the risk of sounding a bit dumb on my first post, i have a question about the specs of the speaker in the Ibanez SW35 combo.

So this is more of a "just in case i'm wrong" kinda thing, but does anyone here happen to know the ohms/watts of the thing? I know the amps output is 35 watts at 8 ohms, and i expect the ohms are matched, but i would just like to make sure.

I'm shopping around for a cheap tube amp (i play guitar, not bass, i just happened to get a deal on this amp from a friend), and i thought i might get a better deal if i could just buy a head and use the SW35 as a cab.

Like i said earlier, sorry if this is a bit over-cautionary and annoying, but i'd like to make sure that i don't end up buying a mismatched head and blowing something up

Thanks!
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Nut

Sell it and buy a Rivera tube combo or fork out the extra bit and get a Marshall half stack (there are several other trustworthy companies but Marshall is rock solid). It's much more inspiring using an amplifier that'll stimulate creativity and last years/a lifetime opposed to a financially convenient mix and match.
However I can't answer your question with certainty so I best leave it to someone who can.
Old 5th September 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteRhino View Post
Sell it and buy a Rivera tube combo or fork out the extra bit and get a Marshall half stack (there are several other trustworthy companies but Marshall is rock solid). It's much more inspiring using an amplifier that'll stimulate creativity and last years/a lifetime opposed to a financially convenient mix and match.
However I can't answer your question with certainty so I best leave it to someone who can.
Thanks for the advice! I totally get that, i'd definitely want to get something trustworthy and inspiring. And i think i can do that, but unfortunately, i'll have to do that within almost absurd financial limitations lol. Either way i go, getting a combo or just a head, it'll be somethin small and low wattage, which is fine for now considering i'm not playing out anywhere (it'll be a little while before i get there, still a bit of a novice, haha). I'm mainly lookin for something to jam with and record with. And, though the old solid state sw35 has done the job so far, i'd really like to get some real tone, to be more inspiring, like you said. So a little 5-watt-ish tube amp will serve that purpose, like maybe the Blackheart Little giant or Epi Valve Junior or something like that, still unsure.

-edit- By the way, i just realized i totally posted this in the wrong category i think, whoops. Shoulda read the posts, and not just the title i guess
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Nut

Meh no worries. I've heard some great things about the Blackheart Little Giant, that's definitely worth looking into. Some of the best tones come from pushing low wattage amps to the point where they break up a bit, which is tough to do with a 100 watt head unless you don't mind pissing off your entire neighbourhood! So from that angle something between 5 and 25 watts can be extremely advantageous (Especially considering while playing live your amp often times will be miked, so with that in mind many musicians prefer something that's portable).
Another few suggestions would be a kustom tube 12, champ 600, superchamp XD.
Best of luck!
Old 5th September 2011
Here for the gear

thanks for the suggestions man, i'll look into that kustom, i've watched a lot of demos, but none of that one.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search