The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
yet another EOS question Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

yet another EOS question

This is a question regarding the Live Samples option of an emu ultra sampler with the RFX32 card.

I've got my Juno 60 running into the sampling input of my e6400 ultra with a chord being held. I assign a voice in the Preset to have "Sampling ADC" as its "sample". I allocate to the voice the keyboard range between G7 and G7 (in other words just the G7 Midi note) and set the original note to G7. This way, MIDI note G7 should trigger the voice. I fire G7 into the sampler on the correct MIDI channel. My understanding is that the note should gate the chord coming from my Juno, but I hear only silence.

Does anyone here actually use or have experience with the Live Samples function? I'd like to process my synths with the flexible filters and envelopes of the Voice and not just the effects of the RFX32.
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by duggabax View Post
This is a question regarding the Live Samples option of an emu ultra sampler with the RFX32 card.

I've got my Juno 60 running into the sampling input of my e6400 ultra with a chord being held. I assign a voice in the Preset to have "Sampling ADC" as its "sample". I allocate to the voice the keyboard range between G7 and G7 (in other words just the G7 Midi note) and set the original note to G7. This way, MIDI note G7 should trigger the voice. I fire G7 into the sampler on the correct MIDI channel. My understanding is that the note should gate the chord coming from my Juno, but I hear only silence.

Does anyone here actually use or have experience with the Live Samples function? I'd like to process my synths with the flexible filters and envelopes of the Voice and not just the effects of the RFX32.
from what you're describing you have the note range set right and the sample origin set correctly but... (can't go on anything concrete here as i don't have the rfx32...)

have you checked your dca settings to make sure you have an envelope assigned to that preset's dca out.

make sure the voice assignment is for the main outs and isn't assigned to a mono out, or possibly it may have to be assigned to a seperate out attached to the rfx32 check that.

something else to try...

hook up a midi keyboard's audio out to the e6400's input, have it's send channel be 1 or omni and it's midi out to the e6400's in.
set up the preset again to cover the entire note range of the keyboard this time. set the root note original pitch to be c3 and set the sample source to be the adc input.

see if anything happens now as far as sound from the e6400. if not then i'd say dive in the manula for the rfx and see if there is a limitation for sampling... it may just be able to live resample the output and not process sounds via the input through the sample playback engine.

sorry again i don't have a definite answer for you but as i said i've no had the rfx card in any e4 series sampler i've owned so ???? but if it does live audio input then you seem to have the right settings so far and it's just gonna be something weird like it only works on the first sample in the bank or something else strange and limiting for the sake of being limited.
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Hey guys I'm sorry to bump this, but I'm having real difficulties here. I actually can't conceptualise doing anything differently - I think I'm doing it right, but I still don't get any output. There MUST be SOMEONE here who uses or has used the Live Samples function on an e4 series sampler. What could I be doing wrong?
Old 27th September 2011
Lives for gear

Triumph! I'm posting this here in case any other poor soul can't figure it out. Took me three weeks! Simple solution. All you have to do is set a voice in your preset to whichever external input you like, be it the sampling adc or an expansion (they're located below sample #000), and then navigate hence:

master -> fx -> setup -> ext in

and make sure that whichever input jack you're feeding audio into is set to "off," because this setting overrides the Live Samples option.

Now I can use my Z-plane filters on my synths! I am going to make the chewiest, grimiest bassline ever.
Old 6th February 2015
Gear Nut

Thanks for that Dugga. I put my RFX-32 on Ext-in from the get-go and couldn't therefore get it to work in Livesamples mode until i followed your advice. This isn't covered in the manual properly, which otherwise is very clear.

join our Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/EMUEIVMachines/

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search