The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Moog RME Expansion Advice Desktop Synthesizers
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear
Moog RME Expansion Advice

I currently own a Voyager RME with a Moogerfooger Ring Mod and I have been conisdering a VX-352 to add to my setup. I understand that the VX-351 adds outputs and the VX-352 adds inputs to the RME, but do you need the 352 first in order to run the 351? Which one adds more sonic possibilities? I have been searching for more information on these units, but it's limited. I'd love to hear some advice on this.
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necron 99 View Post
I currently own a Voyager RME with a Moogerfooger Ring Mod and I have been conisdering a VX-352 to add to my setup. I understand that the VX-351 adds outputs and the VX-352 adds inputs to the RME, but do you need the 352 first in order to run the 351? Which one adds more sonic possibilities? I have been searching for more information on these units, but it's limited. I'd love to hear some advice on this.
I thought they are the same, the VX-351 for the Voyager, the VX-352 for RME. Guess I was wrong, there are differences:

Edit: Guess I am wrong again! I think it is possible to have both on a RME. This is from the Voyager User Manual:

Quote:
ACCESSORY PORTS: AllVoyagers (keyboard and RME versions) have a DB-25 connector which connects the Voyager to the optional VX-351 Voyager CV Expander. This device outputs all the CV and Gate signals generated by the Voyager on 1/4” jacks.

The Voyager RME adds a second DB-25 connector which connects to the optional VX-352 CV Expander. This device provides the same 1/4” CV and GATE inputs that appear on the back panel of Voyager keyboards, and allows the RME to be interfaced with other CV equipment. For more on the VX-351 and VX-352, see Appendix G
OK, that means the Voyager does not need the VX-352, because it already has these connection on the synth.

@OP: I don't think you will get more sonic possibilities in getting the one or the other. Unless you want to interface with another system. IMO you need both to get more modulation possibilities within your RME.
Old 7th December 2012
Lives for gear
I'm highly considering getting the VX352 for my RME but does anyone have any personal experience with this? There are not many demo videos on it and I'm wondering how much it will expand the sonic possibilities.
Old 7th December 2012
I have the RME, the expanders, the cp-251, and semi-modulars FRXS and AS Red Square. I've spent the last few days getting started connecting them together. I recommend the cp-251 manual as it goes thru some decent use cases.

The vx-352 allows CV in to control the RME. While the cp-251 has LFO's to control the pitch and filter in, the modulation from the LFO outs of my other synths are far more flexible - more waveforms for example. So far I see the attenuators on the cp-251 as a "must have" , I've found myself tweaking the knobs a lot.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search