The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
SSL XLogic G series compressor for electronica Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

SSL XLogic G series compressor for electronica

I'm looking for a good quality stereo bus compressor. Mostly for Synth Pop / Techno / Electronica yada yada.

I've previously had an Avalon VT747sp and thought that its compressor was too slow and trasparent for synth-based (non acoustic) music.

I have my eyes set on the SSL XLogic G series compressor since I got AlphaLink AX and love the quality of that, and- well i grew up in the 80s and with the SSL sound.

Opinions from users here before I get one?

Thanks

Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

Sounds like that would be a logical step forward for you
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

I use one every day. They are an industry standard. What else can you say? It's a sound I love. There are many variations but I like the SSL the best. I use the VCA autofade a lot too. Never met a clone I liked either.
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Varaldo View Post
I'm looking for a good quality stereo bus compressor. Mostly for Synth Pop / Techno / Electronica yada yada.

I've previously had an Avalon VT747sp and thought that its compressor was too slow and trasparent for synth-based (non acoustic) music.

I have my eyes set on the SSL XLogic G series compressor since I got AlphaLink AX and love the quality of that, and- well i grew up in the 80s and with the SSL sound.

Thanks

save money get mixbuzz!!!
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Maniac

SSL is great but...

I would check out the Crane Song STC-8. The sound quality is tops. It is insanely flexible, and suited for EM very well. I use mine for everything from synth bass, to vocals, to pro mastering.

edit: there are a lot of STC-8 users on GS, and tons of threads about them for all uses.
Old 5th September 2011
Jose Ramón Alvarado Villa

I thought Distressor was default for electronica.

I still haven't seen a studio without one.
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlheinz View Post
Sounds like that would be a logical step forward for you
Thank you, yeah, I think it would be... do you have one? Your impressions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Station View Post
I use one every day. They are an industry standard. What else can you say? It's a sound I love. There are many variations but I like the SSL the best. I use the VCA autofade a lot too. Never met a clone I liked either.
Thank you - I've never really tried any of the clones, but I also have read around that the real one is on a different level sonically...

Quote:
Originally Posted by roginator View Post
save money get mixbuzz!!!
I don't even own a 500 lunchbox / rack YET!! heh But yes, Roginator, I was indeed looking at the clones, and besides that I was mesmerized by the HIPPO!!! I especially like the name, Hippo. It makes me laugh in a good way (yes, I am that easily amused). Plus they say the Hippo sounds really great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by formlabs View Post
SSL is great but...

I would check out the Crane Song STC-8. The sound quality is tops. It is insanely flexible, and suited for EM very well. I use mine for everything from synth bass, to vocals, to pro mastering.

edit: there are a lot of STC-8 users on GS, and tons of threads about them for all uses.
Thank you much, l will check out the STC-8 threads and (hopefully) demos of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Solaris View Post
I thought Distressor was default for electronica.

I still haven't seen a studio without one.
Judging from my reading and listening, I think the Distressor might be a bit too aggressive for my needs... I see a lot of people put them on the drum buss and it almost sounds distorted? I do understand, it's a versatile machine but I'm simply looking for a good quality stereo bus compressor... to add that final glue
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

not 500 series mixbuzz...

i u rack man is target! .. ill mail you info if you want .. i have 2
Attached Thumbnails
SSL XLogic G series compressor for electronica-dsc01126.jpg  
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

Hey Roginator , I dont suppose u have any clips of the MixBuzz in action ?
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

im waiting for front panels for mine!! i could do some action shots !
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:

Thanks
Hey Mr. Varaldo,

I think you will really dig the G series compressor. I've been using a grey-faced SSL 384 G comp for years, and it's a fantastic go-to mix bus comp for electronic/synth-based/pop tracks. It's an industry standard for a reason, and you can't really go wrong with it.

I had an Avalon 747 too at one point and sold it off. Avalon has made some quality gear but the 747 isn't one of their stronger pieces, in my opinion.

Distressors are wonderful -- and a must-have for every studio -- but personally I never use them on the mixbus. Occasionally I'll use them on a drum bus for a hip-hop production, but otherwise I use them for tracking (excellent on snare, for instance).

I've never used the STC-8 but Dave Hill makes brilliant gear -- I'm sure it's amazing. And I've never heard of the mixbuzz but that sounds intriguing! All the best with your decision...Cheers -- JB
Old 20th November 2011
Lives for gear

Hey guys, I finally got the SSL G compressor and I have to say, the reputation (and price) it has is deserved - it does add that "glue" to the mix and it sounds much better (dare I say the words "analog" and "organic"? LOL) than other hardware compressors and mastering plugins I've tried so far. If anybody's interested I can post some electronic-based examples of this compressor in action.

But the previous user didn't mention that the three button lamps don't work anymore, and that the blue-backlit compression meter display is very dim.

Question: I see that I can buy the three button lights for the buttons for $12.06 at Solid State Logic | Store

but what about the backlight for the meter display... can I fix the light only, or do I need to buy a full replacement Sifam meter at the cost of $183.75 (ouch for just a small meter) ? The SSL store or forum doesn't mention this...

thanks!
Old 20th November 2011
Lives for gear

Wow that's crazy money for the meter..API charge me $19 for their replacements which I think is Sifam too. Incidentally, the comp light in my SSL packed up for 6 months but then started working again recently.
Old 20th November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
But the previous user didn't mention that the three button lamps don't work anymore, and that the blue-backlit compression meter display is very dim.

Question: I see that I can buy the three button lights for the buttons for $12.06 at Solid State Logic | Store

but what about the backlight for the meter display... can I fix the light only, or do I need to buy a full replacement Sifam meter at the cost of $183.75 (ouch for just a small meter) ? The SSL store or forum doesn't mention this...

thanks!
I'm not sure about the meter but maybe this post will help on the lights?

Replacing light on SSL Compressor Switch

Regards,
Frank
Old 22nd November 2011
Here for the gear

To keep on the topic of 'a compressor for electronic music' to be using on the final mix down, how would the SSl G Series compare to the API 2500, maybe some one here has used both units and can kindly give us a bit on insight !

I need to give that final push to the tracks to have them in line with other releases. Its true that loudness is not an issue, but at the end of the day it does have an effect on many listeners/djs/consumers. So i am looking at having a quality sound with efficient loudness, with our having to squeeze the wave file to a rectangular thing.

Or maybe any other compressors in the same budget ?

Thanks
Old 23rd November 2011
Lives for gear

Congrats Mr Varaldo!

I've been considering getting the SSL G as well or the Alan Smart C1 or C2. I love my Cytomic Glue, which is the best sw version I've heard. So I'm wondering how much better the hardware unit might sound.

If you could post dry/wet clips of your SSL with electronic music, with settings, that would be great. I might then try how the Glue compares with similar settings.
Old 23rd November 2011
Quote:
You can try disassemble the meter yourself and see if that LED is easy to replace...
AFAIK, it IS possible but kinda fiddly.
These meters are discontinued by Sifam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Station View Post
Wow that's crazy money for the meter..API charge me $19 for their replacements which I think is Sifam too. Incidentally, the comp light in my SSL packed up for 6 months but then started working again recently.
Sifam has a budget line as well. You get what you pay for. The meters API uses in the 2500 compressor are nothing compared to the SSL meters.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search