The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
GS-201 Tape Echo Reverb & Delay Plugins
Old 4th September 2011
  #1
Deleted User
Guest
GS-201 Tape Echo

GS-201 software clone of Roland SE-201 Space Echo. Opinions? Does the GS-201 sound any good compared to the original?
Old 4th September 2011
  #2
Lives for gear
 
sftd's Avatar
 

I have not used GS-201.

I have used a few other "emulations" of the 101/201 sound however, and think that Soundtoys Echoboy comes remarkably close and, dependent entirely on the situation, can be more flexible/suiting/pleasing/easy to implement.
Old 4th September 2011
  #3
Lives for gear
 
Simonator's Avatar
 

Happy GS-201 user here. One of the best sounding delays on the market AT ANY PRICE. At €19 it's an absolute bargain.
Of course, nothing compares to having the real thing... but this is a damn fine emulation.

Also check their Watkins Copycat plug-in... which is FREEWARE!!
Old 4th September 2011
  #4
Lives for gear
 
3rdeyeKnight's Avatar
 

I tried to like it, but it was a no-go for me after a month or two.

It would do something weird to the source material in a non-musical way.
It's like the signal got flattened to 2-dimensional quality.

The only thing I had to compare it to at the time was UAD's RE201--I'm not sure how close it is to the real deal, but that plug sounded awesome. It, and my old UAD card are long gone now, but I've contemplated buying another just for the RE201(and probably the Plate 140).

Old 4th September 2011
  #5
Lives for gear
 
sftd's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonator View Post
Happy GS-201 user here. One of the best sounding delays on the market AT ANY PRICE. At €19 it's an absolute bargain.
Of course, nothing compares to having the real thing... but this is a damn fine emulation.

Also check their Watkins Copycat plug-in... which is FREEWARE!!
As an owner of two examples of the "real thing" I would argue the fact that emulations CAN compare with the real thing!

Sent from my PC36100 using Gearslutz.com App
Old 4th September 2011
  #6
Lives for gear
 
Simonator's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sftd View Post
As an owner of two examples of the "real thing" I would argue the fact that emulations CAN compare with the real thing!
Are you specifically talking about the Roland Space Echo here?
Old 4th September 2011
  #7
Lives for gear
 
sftd's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonator View Post
Are you specifically talking about the Roland Space Echo here?
Yes, I'm sorry if I came off as meaning something otherwise.

Sent from my PC36100 using Gearslutz.com App
Old 4th September 2011
  #8
Lives for gear
 
Simonator's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sftd View Post
Yes, I'm sorry if I came off as meaning something otherwise.
No... that was how I understood it.

... I'm just surprised to hear that from a Space Echo owner; I would personally expect that this would be one of the strongest examples of where software isn't yet up to par with the real deal.

I'm jonesing for a 201 so badly. Absolute top of my GAS list for many months!!
Old 4th September 2011
  #9
Lives for gear
 
sftd's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonator View Post
No... that was how I understood it.

... I'm just surprised to hear that from a Space Echo owner; I would personally expect that this would be one of the strongest examples of where software isn't yet up to par with the real deal.

I'm jonesing for a 201 so badly. Absolute top of my GAS list for many months!!
Obviously I have some "unique" perspectives on the perception of sound at times, but that's my honest opinion.

Should you end up grabbing one, I'd like to hear your thoughts after a bit of use, especially if you're also somewhat experienced with Echoboy, which I can't help but continually tout as possibly the single best emulation of a piece of hardware I've ever personally used.

I will say this however, the single biggest differentiation in my opinion is the noise level. Now, I am quite aware that this noise in its various incarnations is responsible for a huge part of the RE series' character, but therein also lays a small hindrance. When it is desired, it's wonderful, but when it's not, or when it is desired but only in small amounts, you are very limited in what one can do to lessen its application.

On the other hand, with (again, in my opinion) little to no sacrifice in sonic quality, it can be perfectly dialed in to suite the particular situation with an application such as Echoboy.

One thing I find peculiar in situations like these is that the individuals who are hardliners on extolling the virtues of hardware (and subsequent deficiencies of software) are also for the most part those who vehemently preach the merits of sound design from a ground-floor level. However, with a machine like the 101 in which there is a finite sonic character (such as the noise floor mentioned above) you are effectively bound to an editable "preset" for the sake of discussion. If one were to truly desire to shape every element of the particular effect they may need more options concerning such sonic qualities.
Old 4th September 2011
  #10
Lives for gear
 
CoolColJ's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analog Prophet View Post
GS-201 software clone of Roland SE-201 Space Echo. Opinions? Does the GS-201 sound any good compared to the original?

Doesn't sound 60% as good as a SRE-555, I compared them side by side, when I still had it, the week I was about to sell it

Now maybe the RE-201 doesn't sound as good as the SRE-555, but I doubt it

Just didn't sound as nice and tapey, organic if you will. Self oscillation wasn't as creamy, the way it saturates on the SRE-555
Spring reverb was no contest.... No Sound on Sound function either
Old 4th September 2011
  #11
Lives for gear
 
Simonator's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sftd View Post
...
Yep, as you say... many people would see that noise as a virtue. I hear what you are saying though.

I've never even had a go with a real Space Echo, but I have the perception that it's more playable than any software.
... Perhaps the software might sound close when running a signal through with constant settings... but once you start adjusting the delay time mid way through operation... or even poking your fingers into the real thing and waggling the loop about...that's when the differences to software will become apparant!
Old 5th September 2011
  #12
Lives for gear
 
sftd's Avatar
 

The physical tape manipulation aspect is indeed unique to the hardware units. However you may find it less practical than you may be imagining at the moment.

From my use so far, I don't find the playability of the standard parameters any greater on one than the other. I must also mention anytime I use them they are never run on a constant setting. In fact, those picking up an RE for use under mostly constant settings may be more disappointed then those that plan to "play" it, because I feel it really is meant to be (or perhaps not meant, but excells) manipulated as the source material running through it evolves.

I am very adamant when I feel something, whether it be hardware or software, can not be compared to an offering on the opposite side. For instance, when matching a patch without processing afterwards, I don't feel I have any software monosynth that can achieve the character of the Voyager I own.

I also have hardware compressors I do not feel can be adequately replicated with software.

I'm not sure why the RE series is so different for me, but I truly can't help but feel that those who own and use one regularly and claim there is no software or digital hardware option that can approach or lord forbid sound better than it are not hearing the same machine that I am.


Sent from my PC36100 using Gearslutz.com App
Old 5th September 2011
  #13
Lives for gear
 
CoolColJ's Avatar
 

This is the SRE-555 self oscillating, Minimoog as source.
Note how creamy and tapey this feedback sounds. I have yet to get any of the emulations to sound like this. They all breakup and thin out

Funny enough Waves H-Delay does a nice tape delay impersonation, even though it doesn't claim to be an emulation of one.
And doesn't Waves MPX Master tape have a tape delay echo as an extra?
Echoboy is OK, still not quite there

I found BT Olican Echo was the closest in vibe to my SRE-555, just the delay
Attached Files

CCJ_SRE-555_MiniMoog_Feedback.mp3 (1.53 MB, 2064 views)

Old 5th September 2011
  #14
Lives for gear
 
sftd's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolColJ View Post
This is the SRE-555 self oscillating, Minimoog as source.
Note how creamy and tapey this feedback sounds. I have yet to get any of the emulations to sound like this. They all breakup and thin out

Funny enough Waves H-Delay does a nice tape delay impersonation, even though it doesn't claim to be an emulation of one.
And doesn't Waves MPX Master tape have a tape delay echo as an extra?
There is also NastyDLA - freeware
How do you on a personal level describe the generalized meanings of "creamy" and "tapey"?

(I know each person will describe things differently, I'm just curious as to your -personal- descriptors!)

Sent from my PC36100 using Gearslutz.com App
Old 5th September 2011
  #15
Lives for gear
 
CoolColJ's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sftd View Post
How do you on a personal level describe the generalized meanings of "creamy" and "tapey"?

(I know each person will describe things differently, I'm just curious as to your -personal- descriptors!)

Sent from my PC36100 using Gearslutz.com App
I guess more fluffy and chorus like would be my "creamy"
Tapey sound - is that chocolatey brown sound
Old 5th September 2011
  #16
Lives for gear
 
Simonator's Avatar
 

Very nice sounds CoolColJ!!
Old 5th September 2011
  #17
Lives for gear
 
Simonator's Avatar
 

Just to chime in that I do love Logic's Tape Delay plug too.
Old 5th September 2011
  #18
Lives for gear
 
sftd's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolColJ View Post
I guess more fluffy and chorus like would be my "creamy"
Tapey sound - is that chocolatey brown sound
Thanks! I can totally see the creamy one!

Now let me ask you this: if you were asked (I guess technically you are being asked! lol) to show an example of the most "tapey" thing you could think of, what would it be?

(An audio example, which you excel at, would be awesome by the way!)

Sent from my PC36100 using Gearslutz.com App
Old 5th September 2011
  #19
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonator View Post
Just to chime in that I do love Logic's Tape Delay plug too.
Me too. A very usable plug.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Gearslutz.com App
Old 5th September 2011
  #20
Lives for gear
 
pulse_divider's Avatar
 

Sounds great in native vst host but doesn't work for **** in pro tools via wrapper
Old 5th September 2011
  #21
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdeyeKnight View Post
I tried to like it, but it was a no-go for me after a month or two.

It would do something weird to the source material in a non-musical way.
It's like the signal got flattened to 2-dimensional quality.

Me too, never liked it. Haven't used the UAD emulation, but I do like TAL DubII and Lowcoders KingDubby, both are free to boot. I have Roland's RE20 which is ok but doesn't get used as much as the above plugins.


.
Old 5th September 2011
  #22
Lives for gear
 
Rob Ocelot's Avatar
Here's the Space Echo hardware paradox in a nutshell:

When they are 100% working with clean heads and a new tape they aren't as sonically interesting as when they are a little bit wonky (but not too wonky!).

Unfortunately the software emulations and the RE-20 pedal tend to model the 100% perfect working behavior. That little bit of wonk is what's missing and while you could model (or fudge) that sort of thing I think it's a bit like chasing pookah's. Every Space Echo unit I've used had it's own unique character and no two sound alike even among identical model numbers. The emulations are like a bizzare ideal perfectly functioning Space Echo that never actually existed.

However, I wouldn't turn my nose up at the emulations because they have their uses.
Old 5th September 2011
  #23
Lives for gear
 
Simonator's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Ocelot View Post
chasing pookah's
Harvey Quixote?

Nice prose poetry dude!
Old 5th September 2011
  #24
Lives for gear
 
CoolColJ's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sftd View Post
Thanks! I can totally see the creamy one!

Now let me ask you this: if you were asked (I guess technically you are being asked! lol) to show an example of the most "tapey" thing you could think of, what would it be?

(An audio example, which you excel at, would be awesome by the way!)

Sent from my PC36100 using Gearslutz.com App

something that sounds like it was recorded on analog tape
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump