The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Limitations of the Maschine vs. a DAW
Old 4th September 2011
Here for the gear

Limitations of the Maschine vs. a DAW

I was just wondering what limitations the Maschine software has in comparison to a DAW like Ableton Live or FL Studio, if any? I realize that a Maschine isn't meant to be a DAW (yet) but I was just wondering if it is possible to do everything including mixing/mastering in the Maschine software, even if it is inconvenient.
Old 4th September 2011
Gear Maniac

its def possible to do everything inside maschine. i wouldnt personally want to but you could. especially if youve got some good 3rd party plugins. wouldnt want to use just the built in fx
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

I'd have trouble using maschine as a sole workstation. The scene/song mode isn't great, and the whole GUI gets crowded.
Old 4th September 2011
Maschine is soooooo powerful and convenient inside a DAW.
It's like asking how good is bread without butter.
It's ok, but together it's great.
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
You certainly can do everything on its own and it doesn't even have to be used inside a DAW to benefit from the combination. You can use Maschine in standalone mode by itself and then export/drag drop directly into a DAW for mixing down. It's all a matter of preference.
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Is that pretty taxing on the CPU? And how do you work with that? Do you use the DAW sequencer or maschine to sequence midi?
Old 10th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
id be interested how you use your maschine inside your DAW. I currently use it inside logic for all my drum needs. i then drag the audio from maschine to arrange in logic.
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

It's not meant to be a DAW.
Old 10th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moscow View Post
I currently use it inside logic for all my drum needs. i then drag the audio from maschine to arrange in logic.
Yes, me too.
I work up a four or eight bar pattern with every element I need.
Then I export the audio of each piece to an audio track in Logic, and mute or unmute as i compose to create the final arrangement.
Effectively I'm getting the sounds and groove from Maschine, but making my final arrangement in Logic, along with my melodic/chordal sounds.
I haven't seen any strain on my iMac while doing this.
Old 10th September 2011
Gear Maniac

haha thats funny, that you use it in exactly the same way as me. Im using a 2 year old macbook pro and it works great even with all my reverbs, delays etc
Old 13th September 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumply View Post
I'd have trouble using maschine as a sole workstation. The scene/song mode isn't great, and the whole GUI gets crowded.
Yea it is truth but the fancy calculator apparance makes someone want to buy it just for satisfaction of possessions. I admit that it may be fun to play as a toy, however the result isn't necessarily bariliant as a beat, rather usualy ordinary and nothing special for their extravagant ad.
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinnacle View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumply View Post
Yea it is truth but the fancy calculator apparance makes someone want to buy it just for satisfaction of possessions. I admit that it may be fun to play as a toy, however the result isn't necessarily bariliant as a beat, rather usualy ordinary and nothing special for their extravagant ad.

All that says is that you think it's a "toy" that it looks like a "fancy calculator" to you.

Maschine has been a paradigm shift especially for those who are more used to the hands-on workflow of standalone hardware and those who want the power of today's software yet are not satisfied with the mouse-click approach when making music. It's the best of both worlds and there's still nothing else out there like it.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search