The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
True Confession! I only use Presets!!! Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

There is no such thing as a bad preset. I use exclusively presets as a starting point, and of course they sound nothing alike when I am finished with them. If not presets, it is the random function in the Waldorf Pulse. Working from presets is much faster than creating a sound from ground up. There is one exception though. Most of my Nord Modular G2 sounds start off on a blank screen.
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

You people disgust me , you need to see a shrink fast.... using presets is a decease but accepting it is the first step to your cure.
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

Some presets are good.
I almost always start with testing out the presets.
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

Most of the time I start from presets and then heavily modify them.
Occasionally I play with samples (pitch shifting, delays, effects) and also I use samples for drums.

However, with some synths, (e.g. Massive) I simply like programming; it's just a joy to do that. It was really late when I noticed that Massive has presets heh
Old 5th September 2011
I used to use only presets, my thinking was that composition was more fun. Since I got a few semi-modulars though with no presets - the FRXS and Red Square - I've switched to mostly using my own sounds. That is particuarly true after I got some some moogerfoogers and a hardware compressor to add effects, like most presets have. I do think semi-modulars and no preset synths are a great way to get out of using presets on your other gear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disease Factory View Post
But on a virus or half the soft synths. LOL i bet most cant even make sounds as good as the presets. Sometimes i still do make some of my own sounds or tweak them. I would rather use presets that sounds good and put my own fx on them, then make my own sub par sounds.
The TI2 presets are often better than most synths, IMHO. Though the effects are a big part of that, and that's what I usually end up tweaking. I need to spend more time programming it, my other synths are getting most of my time at the moment heh .
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

My case is particular because designing presets is my job. So you can expect an highly biased opinion

Even after having designed thousands of presets, wich I prefer to refer to as musical instruments, I'm still myself a proud preset *****, and I fully enjoy and use instruments made by other people in production.

Why ? Because they are different than those I make. This is the point : Even if the monkey taping his ass on a type writer would probably end to write a Shakespeare novel if he could live a billion years, presets have an identity, and I know that different people can NOT recreate them the same way ( and most have probably other things to do, like music, than trying by random to create them )

Behind a -good- preset, there are decisions, actions, aesthetics, movements, expression possibilities, and also ... a bit of knowledge and eventually some skills.

Take a simple electric bass, or a guitar, or a piano, or a Rhodes : Two different peope with the same instrument will write very different tracks, and will make these instruments sounds very different ( Plaing, FX, what you want ). They dont really bother to build their own piano or guitar. They just learn to play them and enjoy composing with them.

Its the same with "presets". They're meant to be played "as they are", or, for those who both need it AND have the minimal knowledge, to be adapted to track context.

But the best comparison is still imho with sax players : They spend YEARS to find THEIR sound, with a monophonic instrument. THe hard way.

Some people might think you can just browse presets, play a few notes ( preferably with mouse clicks ) then suddenly declare " this is a very boring preset " . Its just false : In my experience some presets require VERY special playing techniques, some require standard playing abilities, and some can be used in this ot that way ( Like some leads can become some good basses )

Imho people who declare the above should be more inspired to declare that presets dont work with their music styles, ( Some rare music styles are very intricated or dependant on associated sound design ) or, perhaps more meaningfull or honnest, that they just dont understand what can be done with this or that preset, wich would be a more humble position.

And yes again ime, 95% at least of the music heard on medias is made with "presets" .......

My 0.002 ( Told you I was biased )
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Addict

I don't use presets on full-blown synths. ROMplers are a different story (and let's be realistic, if they didn't have presets they wouldn't exist). Not really a snobbery thing, but a workflow thing. Personally I have more success creating sounds from scratch than searching through 4,000 patches for one that might work.

Never understood the "a piano is a preset" arguement. As Yoozer said, a piano is always going to sound like a piano, no matter how you strike the keys. It's an instrument. A synth is an instrument too, but one that's capable of a zillion different sounds, so why limit yourself to just using the ones created by someone else?
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Addict

Who would have thunk that some "electronic musicians" didn't know how to program something like .... a synth This thread can only serves as embarrassment when someone who rarely uses a synth and is perfectly competent at programing one reads this. Stop making excuses for common laziness. If one was even remotely interested in making electronic music, they would start programing within a day of getting their hands on a synth. Thats hardly a bold statement
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Addict

Think of the oscillator as the harmon generator and the different shapes sweeping through the spectrum like a little army.

The filter can attenuate a chosen frequency when a note is played due to it's hi/lo-pass "filters" which is controlled by an envelope which controls the rise and fall times (ADSR) of hopefully anything you want to control (this is getting scary! he's getting modular!)

AAAANNNNDDD... oh wait, thats it. my work here is done
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by suicidebomber View Post
This thread can only serves as embarrassment when someone who rarely uses a synth and is perfectly competent at programing one reads this. Stop making excuses for common laziness. If one was even remotely interested in making electronic music, they would start programing within a day of getting their hands on a synth.
Using presets and modifying them to suit the track needs is something completely OK. Also, alot of those "synth programmers" never get a track done and most of the time they just make "weird cool sounds"; which is also completely OK, if you're into that.

However, as a musician, sometimes it's more inspiring and efficient to tweak a preset than to make everything from scratch.
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

^^^^^^^

Yep well said.
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

This is why i love synths with ZERO presets. It makes you WORK for your own sound, rather than rely on someone to do it for you. I look forward to the day presets are a thing of the past.
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddash View Post
^^^^^^^

Yep well said.
Which is why you have a need to make threads like this:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/elect...re-synths.html

Am I right?
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

No, I actually think more threads helping people become better would be something we need...
Or helping them realise what they need.
Old 6th September 2011
Point is if we're talking about making and producing music (as opposed to e.g. sound design) its the result that matters, not the tools and methods of how you get there.

The 'laziness" discussion is separate from just using presets. Its a general social/human malaise of our times, everyone wants results without putting in the effort, etc, etc. Instant gratification, bla, bla , bla, we all know and see this. However there's a lot more to making a killer track then just the sounds used, there's a lot of other efforts/talent/experience involved. Any producer worth his salt got there by lots of hard work developing his sound and methods.

Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Yes, for those that don't study Sound Design, there's nothing inferior (nor superior) using with presets. The idea that presets makes you sound like everyone else isn't always the case - it's relative. A great preset in the hands of a professional breathes life and moves the heart of the listener. imho, most music today is just "recycling" great ideas from past with minor variations anyway.

Regards
Josef Horhay
Mixing Engineer
www.acoosticzoo.com
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by msl View Post
The 'laziness" discussion is separate from just using presets. Its a general social/human malaise of our times, everyone wants results without putting in the effort, etc, etc. Instant gratification, bla, bla, bla
I don't think that people use presets for instant gratification, but mostly because others before them already did (indirectly for them) what they are looking for. (most) People don't build their own synths, is that bad/cheating/lazy?
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTByrd View Post
True confession: Most of my synths don't have presets.
Truth.

Crafting sounds from scratch is half the fun in making electronic music for me.
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Claiming that using presets is lazy is like claiming composers are lazy because they don't build and play every instrument they write for. Maybe their goal is to make music and not just make pretty sounds?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search