The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Polyevolver vs. 3,4 Evolvers Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

Polyevolver vs. 3,4 Evolvers

I wouldn't ask this question if I had a lot of money, but...
The Poly is really expensive, probably I could buy 6 Evolvers with the money(more voices), but I ain't got them....so I am asking is it really worth a Polyevolver if u got instead 3,4 Evolvers? I mean it's double the price for a 4 voice Polyevolver :(
Thanks a lot!
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear
with that many evolvers you will also need a mixer to mix all the voices together and 6 evolvers take up 6 plug sockets.
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

I would get only 3 Evolvers if I don't get the Poly. I mean is there a real good reason to spend double the money on the Poly?

The thing is that I also have a good deal on a Nord Lead and Yamaha AN1X... but I feel they are behind of the sound and capabilities of the Polyevolver/Evolver. Correct me please if I am wrong!
Old 4th September 2011
Gear Nut

I would go with either the PolyEvolver keyboard or a single Evolver.

An Evolver can be a lot of fun but the Keyboard is an amazing instrument... haven't touched my PolyEvolver rack in years since MIDI and polychaining is not as much fun to me creatively as simply playing an instrument.
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

With the PolyEvolver keyboard you get way more knobs, pots instead of encoders in the latest version, plus of course a nice feeling keyboard. So you definitely get more than you would by polychaining 4 desktop units.

An in-between and cheaper approach is to polychain a desktop or mono Evolver keyboard to a Poly rack.
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by enossified View Post
With the PolyEvolver keyboard you get way more knobs, pots instead of encoders in the latest version, plus of course a nice feeling keyboard. So you definitely get more than you would by polychaining 4 desktop units.

An in-between and cheaper approach is to polychain a desktop or mono Evolver keyboard to a Poly rack.
Yes, but not really cost effective, and also I am not to keen to get a new keyboard bed, I mean I got a Virus and a Novation...and anyway I don't see it worth for double the money...
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

What about a polyevolver rack?
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by elijahbrown View Post
What about a polyevolver rack?
Not made anymore :(
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentokan View Post
eBay? There are atleast 2 on right now.
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

I live very far away in Europe...so it's out of the question.
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

Do I really need more than One Evolver or it s one enough???
Why whould I need more than 1 voice really??
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

You could always go Wendy Carlos style and record each voice separately if you wanted polyphony.
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
You could always go Wendy Carlos style and record each voice separately if you wanted polyphony.
Or you could sample it with redmatica autosampler. This works well enough if you have a patch you want to play in poly.

I really enjoy the MEK, and have thought about upgrading to the PEK. In the end it just seems like too much money for something - while awesome - may be unnecessary. If you want to use an evolver as a main synth in performance context, the it's probably worth it.
Old 4th September 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
An Evolver is a dense enough instrument where you can do a lot with 1 voice... but ultimately that is up to you.
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
That's really not so easy man.. :(
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

poly evolver rack and bcr2000
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
That's really not so easy man.. :(
Yes it is. It's really easy. Just takes a lot longer
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

i have 1 x mek and 3 x desktop evolver for a while, sounded great and nice to be able to process each voice independently but ultimately it was a pain in the ass, 8 channels on my mixer and so much desk space. i kept the mek and hope to get a rack some day...
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

Why don't you wait a bit to see what the DSI Tempest can do as an analog synth?

It's just a bit more money than 3 x an Evolver desktop, but in return you get 6 voices, all the digital waves from the Evolver, an analog highpass filter and fx + the drum machine ofcourse.

Peter.
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

I guess the pricing must be very different in Europe because here a desktop is $600. Four of them would set you back more than a polyevolver! Even going by the average used prices there isn't much difference from a new PEK and the interface more than makes up for it. Plus, you've got the hassle of making sure all 4 of the used desktops work correctly.

With a bunch of desktops you won't get combo mode, right? Obviously, transportability goes out the window too, but you'll have an easier time routing audio around. I think 4 desktops would be a lot of fun, but I wouldn't try to make a polyphonic synth out of them and I'd still want a MEK or PEK to program them.

Quote:
Do you own any polyphonic synths? It's just like that, but with the evolver's voices.
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pschelfh View Post
Why don't you wait a bit to see what the DSI Tempest can do as an analog synth?

It's just a bit more money than 3 x an Evolver desktop, but in return you get 6 voices, all the digital waves from the Evolver, an analog highpass filter and fx + the drum machine ofcourse.

Peter.
U right Thanks!
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

[QUOTE=foodeater;7000851]I guess the pricing must be very different in Europe because here a desktop is $600. Four of them would set you back more than a polyevolver! Even going by the average used prices there isn't much difference from a new PEK and the interface more than makes up for it. Plus, you've got the hassle of making sure all 4 of the used desktops work correctly.

With this price:
DAVE SMITH INSTRUMENTS POLY EVOLVER KEYBOARD POT ED. - Thomann Romnia Cyberstore
I can buy at least 5 Evolvers ...
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
dSI relaunched the production of the rack
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by San01 View Post
dSI relaunched the production of the rack
Strange, because it's not in stock (or to be restocked) @ Thomann and on the DSI website it's listed as 'Discontinued Product'.

Peter.
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Strange, because it's not in stock (or to be restocked) @ Thomann and on the DSI website it's listed as 'Discontinued Product'.

Peter.
Exactly! :(
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionraygun View Post
I would go with either the PolyEvolver keyboard or a single Evolver.

An Evolver can be a lot of fun but the Keyboard is an amazing instrument... haven't touched my PolyEvolver rack in years since MIDI and polychaining is not as much fun to me creatively as simply playing an instrument.
For someone like me who doesn't have much experience playing a key'd instrument (only 18 years of piano) I am still foolish enough to garner essentially the same feeling when playing a midi keyboard as I do when playing one built into a synthesizer.

I'm sure as I get more experienced with the keys I'll realize how different the two are, but for the moment I am a happy little piggy with playing instruments via a midi keyboard!

Perhaps for other people on the same low end of the experience spectrum as myself, they might also enjoy it, so I wouldn't rule it out if you fit into that category!
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:

Peter.
From DSI web-site :

Poly Evolver Rack is Back!

March 15, 2010—The Poly Evolver Rack is available once again. Originally released in 2004, the Poly Evolver was the second product from DSI (after the Evolver). It ceased production in August 2008, at the end of its initial production run. But there is still a demand for the instrument, so...we made more!

and more recently :
Poly Evolver Rack: Going, Going...

December 2, 2010—The Poly Evolver Rack will cease production once the current stock is depleted, so if you want one, you'd better get one soon! "The Poly Evolver Rack has a small, fanatical, and very devoted following," said DSI's Andrew McGowan. "It packs a lot of real synthesizer firepower into a 1U rack enclosure and is pretty unique in that regard. Unfortunately, increased parts cost and the higher cost of manufacturing them in smaller quantities has made it impossible for us to continue making them. Production was interrupted for a time on one previous occasion, but there was enough demand to warrant another run. That is very unlikely to happen this time, though. Once they're gone, that's it." So, if you've always wanted a Poly Evolver or want to increase the polyphony of your current Evolver product, don't wait too long!
Old 20th August 2012
Lives for gear

Who's got experience with 3 Evolver desktops in polychain mode??
(what r the drawbacks apart from needing a mixer for them?)
Old 21st August 2012
Lives for gear

Anyone?
Old 22nd August 2012
Deleted User
deleted by user

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search