The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Polyevolver vs. 3,4 Evolvers Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 22nd August 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by San01 View Post
dSI relaunched the production of the rack
Wrong.
I inquired myself before buying the MEK and its gone for good, as is the MEK.
Looks like it was pretty simplified compared to the PolyKeyboard.
How much was it originally I wonder?
Old 22nd August 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted Userc View Post
sentokan, man, nobody in their right sense would buy 4 mono evolvers instead of a 4-voice PEK because the prices would get pretty near. I don't know about prices right now, but I got my PEK for about 1600 USD. Aren't the evolvers going for about 400 to 550 USD? Do the math.

Honestly, I still have to hear of anyone having 3 or 4 mono evolvers instead of a PErack or PEK.

About the voices, it totally depends on what you are planning to do with your new synth and the technique you use.

IME, the PEK is a huge beast. We are talking about 4 osc per voice here. It is so huge, that I have been seriously considering switching from the PEK to a MEK, but that's just me. Again, check your own priorities and what you really want/need. It sounds like you don't know yet what you want.

And btw, since you are just testing new waters, I would highly recommend that you don't buy whatever you buy brand new. Buy it used so if you resell you don't lose too much money or none at all.

First of all I said 3 Evolvers and new they r pretty cheap here, around 600$, so U do the math compared with 2200 eu a Poly. Plus I already got one Evolver and I know what I want.
Old 22nd August 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by verve92 View Post
How much was it originally I wonder?
The PE rack was $1599 back then. I was going to get it to match it up with my MoKey, but I wuss'd out and got the DEvo instead. I'm still happy with that combo actually.

Here's one now on ebay: Polyevolver vs. 3,4 EvolversDave Smith Instruments Poly Evolver Rack from ARP MOOG ROLAND OBERHEIM studio | eBay
Old 22nd August 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joonebug View Post
The PE rack was $1599 back then. I was going to get it to match it up with my MoKey, but I wuss'd out and got the DEvo instead. I'm still happy with that combo actually.

Here's one now on ebay: Polyevolver vs. 3,4 EvolversDave Smith Instruments Poly Evolver Rack from ARP MOOG ROLAND OBERHEIM studio | eBay
Wow. The first one on Ebay I have seen. DEvo
Still I guess we are still D-E-V-O
Old 22nd August 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by verve92 View Post
Wow. The first one on Ebay I have seen. DEvo
Still I guess we are still D-E-V-O
Old 23rd August 2012
Deleted User
deleted by user
Old 23rd August 2012
Lives for gear

I'd much rather have multiple evolvers than a pek. I suppose the pek is preferable if you don't care that you cannot save individual patches and sequences from multimode, and that your work is erased as soon as you try to do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted Userc View Post
sure,
x 4 = $2400
or
x 3 = $1800

In both cases, the price surpass what I just told you I paid for my full PEK, $1600.

Yeah, look above. What I said though, was that even a 400 difference DOES NOT matter when you are investing that sort of money (1500 to 2k and over) on an instrument. Again, 4 desktop evolvers on a desktop with nearly no ****ing knobs etc. at about 2k (vs the PEK or even PER) for $600 difference against IS unheard of.

Get what you want then?

good luck anyway

Old 23rd August 2012
Deleted User
deleted by user
Old 23rd August 2012
Lives for gear

Haha, this is the most bizarre thread. A year later....you could have found used desktop evolvers by now and sold them if you didn't like it.

Anyway, PEK + Desktop is a nice combo. 5 voices is nice sure, but more than that, you can program the desktop from the PEK and save it as individual patches. It's a great way to build up patches for multimode. Also, I don't think the desktop's interface is terrible and it's nice to have a semi-portable option.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search