The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
the elephant in the room (cough, cough Soundcloud) Reverb & Delay Plugins
Old 4th September 2011
Gear Head

the elephant in the room (cough, cough Soundcloud)

hello everyone,

i just wanted to initiate a conversation about soundcloud. i myself have a love/hate relationship with it and wanted to see how others feel about it.

it is a free service that allows us to share our music and i think it works quite successfully that way, but i believe that that it could be improved in a number of ways.

for me, the biggest problem is the follow/following system. while i have been introduced to a lot of great music from unknown (or relatively unknown) artists, I also think that this system creates an atmosphere that encourages and rewards pandering and insincere brown-nosing.

it seems that there are two options: play along with the pander/brown nose crowd and accumulate a group of "followers" who never really listen to your music (and mutually, you never listen to theirs) or slowly and steadily try to find people with common musical tastes/visions and slowly build a following with them. i have chosen the latter route.

still, i think that the follow/following system could be improved by some kind of "point system" - for example, in order to follow someone (or even leave a comment), perhaps you should be required to listen to at least one of their songs all the way through - this way, people couldn't just randomly select a point in the song and comment "wow, great! the best song ever" or something of the like.

this is just an idea. what are your ideas?

soundcloud is a great (albeit somewhat flawed) service with a lot of potential. what could be done to make it better?

thanks. i'm sure a lot of you have a lot to say about this.
Old 4th September 2011
Gear Nut

It would be nice if you could check your messages on their phone app.
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear
I hate this bull crap of the comments. i wish i could deactivate them on my account.

for example. this random guy with some dull house music few times started following me, then stopped, started again etc so i could see various times the +1 in the followers section. then send me this track in the drop box few times.

after a while curious of these series of events i checked the track, which had a hundred entusiatic comments on it. Listened for a while with some attention (i mean sooo many comments!) and just said wow this is random sh**t!! what are all these comments doing here??

and that it what's going on day after day.

lets not talk about messages like this:

Nice page! E-mail Me Back!! Check out my page! And Send Me Some Links To Your Stuff If You Want Or Just Tell Me If You Want Me
To Comment Your Soundcloud!!
Oh yeah you can check these as well if you want.. -->
Respect,
My Fan Page - <

&
This is my myspace but I don't really use it -

So yeah..Don't Hesitate To E-mail Me Back! I'm Not An "Unresponisve Robot" I WILL GET BACK TO YOU.
Respect

Personally i just follow who i "need", not even who i "like" because orelse i'd have to follow like a hundred.

and if people come across my page they are completely free to follow or leave comment, spamming around randomly is soo not cool
Old 4th September 2011
Gear Guru

My idea is that this problem is unavoidable in any kind of social network. People will always try to game the system and if it does not cost you anything to game it, gaming will not stop.
Old 4th September 2011
Here for the gear

+1 on that this kind of game is unavoidable, but it is ridiculously annoying when people follow you and if you don't follow back they stop following you (this goes on and on).
However the most stupid thing is gaining followers without them actually checking any of your songs or profile.
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

That sounds like the real life interactions people used to have in bars or other places artists and musicians used to congregate. People want whatever help/attention they can get and they probably think they are being clever by pretending to do something in return before demanding you love them.
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

Follow people whose music you want to be informed about.
Comment on and favourite music you like.
Don't worry too much about who is following you and why.
Delete spam comments and report them (it's usually obvious which ones they are).

If you checked that guy's track purely because he spammed you and you saw he had loads of comments, you're kinda part of the problem!
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hint View Post
Delete spam comments and report them (it's usually obvious which ones they are).

If you checked that guy's track purely because he spammed you and you saw he had loads of comments, you're kinda part of the problem!
I agree... just ignore all this & do your thing.

@ Hint... are you the Hint? As in 'Keep Your Shirt On'?

EDIT: I just followed the link in your signature... and clearly you are! Digging your stuff; Bought quite a few of your tracks back in the ol' Clickgroove days. Especially like 'Keep Your Shirt On'... KILLER. I used to spin 'The Tremmuth' quite a bit too.
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

The thing that bugs me is that on my stupid laptop I can only play soundcloud tracks if they're embedded e.g. in a Gearslutz post, stuff on the soundcloud site itself just does nothing?!
Old 4th September 2011
I think this is always a problem in all social networks. Ok, Soundcloud is not really a social network but shares some basic ideas.
You have the same thing with "friends" on Facebook. Some are only interested to collect names in their list other are interested to collect fans. IMO this works better with Google+ with this circles.

Anyway, I like Soundcloud because it's a easy and visual nice way to share songs and get also some feedback. With this light premium account it's also easy to replace a song (most bad thing if you find later after uploading that something goes wrong or sounds bad and you cannot easy re-upload and replace it).
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by badmark View Post
The thing that bugs me is that on my stupid laptop I can only play soundcloud tracks if they're embedded e.g. in a Gearslutz post, stuff on the soundcloud site itself just does nothing?!
This happened to me - and I think the solution was to upgrade my version of flash - maybe it was just a minor revision update, but it worked.

s
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonator View Post
@ Hint... are you the Hint? As in 'Keep Your Shirt On'?

EDIT: I just followed the link in your signature... and clearly you are! Digging your stuff; Bought quite a few of your tracks back in the ol' Clickgroove days. Especially like 'Keep Your Shirt On'... KILLER. I used to spin 'The Tremmuth' quite a bit too.
Thanks!
Ah.... those Clickgroove days....
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hint View Post
Yep, that's pretty much it.

I use "following" as a kind of bookmarking for later if I don't have time or inclination right now to listen.

I only follow about 10 people anyway...and I hardly have any followers either, but that's not why I use Soundcloud (I use it to share audio demos of synths...so generally people can find my tracks by searching, but they don't have to follow me).

So far I have about 11,000 plays (since opening the account in Autumn last year), but only about 20 followers. So this means my plays are coming from people who are searching for audio demos of gear (and also from forum members when I link stuff).

And this suits me just fine...I'm an advocate of Share The Audio
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

i use soundcloud to share stuff on GS so i can see how many people listen vs. how many have something to say bout my music.

for everything else, i run a webserver here at my house and will provide direct links.

if i were trying to sell my music, i would not bother with soundcloud as an artist, i would send demos to the labels and it's their job to promote.

any self respecting artist has a website on which they can share songs, sell albums, and control their brand.
Old 4th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Yes is this possible to post over 40 comments a day ? Some people do it because they want others to comment back their music. Why nobody tells me my music sucks nice sound, beautifull melody and nobody wants to release it anyway, ehhh......... I'll never go modular this way
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

no need to institute any fascist rules

its easy to tell who is for real and who isn't

i only follow those who make stuff I find interesting and i only comment when there is something i really enjoy or have a question, so it is specific and not blind praise. i think anyone that cared would also be able to see through the empty words

i also don't check out someone's work right when they follow me. once or twice a month i'll see who my new followers are and check out a few of their tracks each.. and follow the ones i like...

by the time i'm ready to check out the music of the new people to follow me... most of the people who just followed in hope that i'd blindly follow back have already stopped following me. the people who follow and expect a blind follow back aren't very patient with their attention whoring.. and actually weed themselves out. they stop following me.. and I'd never know there were there except for the email i get when i get a new follow... so it saves me the time I would have spent checking out the music of someone who thinks SC is like facebook

i have instantly followed only 1 person who started following me. Mentallo & The (motherf**king) Fixer. I didn't even know they were on SC... and getting a follow from people you view as synth gods... is quite indescribable
Old 4th September 2011
Gear Maniac

there should be commandments of soundcloud or something...

thou shalt not pimp for followers
thou shalt be sincere in choosing who to follow
thou shalt return the courtesy of listening and commenting where possible
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust Creep View Post
no need to institute any fascist rules

its easy to tell who is for real and who isn't

i only follow those who make stuff I find interesting and i only comment when there is something i really enjoy or have a question, so it is specific and not blind praise. i think anyone that cared would also be able to see through the empty words

i also don't check out someone's work right when they follow me. once or twice a month i'll see who my new followers are and check out a few of their tracks each.. and follow the ones i like...

by the time i'm ready to check out the music of the new people to follow me... most of the people who just followed in hope that i'd blindly follow back have already stopped following me. the people who follow and expect a blind follow back aren't very patient with their attention whoring.. and actually weed themselves out. they stop following me.. and I'd never know there were there except for the email i get when i get a new follow... so it saves me the time I would have spent checking out the music of someone who thinks SC is like facebook

i have instantly followed only 1 person who started following me. Mentallo & The (motherf**king) Fixer. I didn't even know they were on SC... and getting a follow from people you view as synth gods... is quite indescribable
One thing worth mentioning, whether or not it should or shouldn't be, SC -is- like Facebook. It is a social networking tool with music as its angle.

Sent from my PC36100 using Gearslutz.com App
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

obviously they are both social networking sites... one with a musical slant

its foolish.. i know.. but I'd like to think that SC was comprised of more people who aren't vapid mouthbreathers, measuring their self worth by the amount of 'likes" their latest asinine status update received
Old 4th September 2011
Btw. a interesting thing could be direct linking to the Mp3. IMO this doesn't work. You can only link to the Soundcloud track and you can embed the track with the Flash player. But you cannot provide a Mp3 only link... Ok, I understand that they cannot make all things for free but this could be a nice options for their premium accounts.
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust Creep View Post
obviously they are both social networking sites... one with a musical slant

its foolish.. i know.. but I'd like to think that SC was comprised of more people who aren't vapid mouthbreathers, measuring their self worth by the amount of 'likes" their latest asinine status update received
I'd like to thank that too, but, I know from experience that its a pipe dream.

Search for "crystal vision" on soundcloud.

That is the artist page of currently the largest event promoter in the state of Oklahoma.

First take note of the fact they have almost 4000 followers, then have a listen at a few of their "original" tracks.

They achieved this almost exclusively through other social networking outlets. Not a single bit of it had to do with the merits of the music, it had to do with a huge facebook presence, Katie being an attractive girl, and a huge pile of brown nosing that is the combined result of the first two parts.

Social networking is, in my opinion, the most powerful musical success tool currently available.

However, to dedicate the time it takes to manipulate it to achieve that goal, other areas will be forced to suffer to some degree.

Chief among those is usually the music itself!

But now that leaves the question, if "success" is the end goal, what direction is the best choice of focus??

Do you make music that has no choice but to stand on its own outstanding merit, or do you make YOU have no choice but to stand on its own outstanding merit?

Sent from my PC36100 using Gearslutz.com App
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sftd View Post
Social networking is, in my opinion, the most powerful musical success tool currently available.

However, to dedicate the time it takes to manipulate it to achieve that goal, other areas will be forced to suffer to some degree.

Chief among those is usually the music itself!

At least the lyrics don't suffer.

Old 4th September 2011
I pay a sub for Soundcloud. It's a good social hub for musicians and it seems worthy of support. I comment a lot some days...never to elicit a response though.

Another filter option on 'following' would help me keep track on my 'favourites' - noticed more spam in last 3 weeks. They need to work on a fix for it.
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Stone View Post
I pay a sub for Soundcloud. It's a good social hub for musicians and it seems worthy of support.
I agree. I'm thinking of paying for a pro account for my "dhollmusik" profile, it's already full at 2 hours and I feel a little bad opening up a second account just to upload more stuff.

Soundcloud are definitely worthy...well worth paying my way to get more hours.
Old 4th September 2011
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhollmusik View Post
I agree. I'm thinking of paying for a pro account for my "dhollmusik" profile, it's already full at 2 hours and I feel a little bad opening up a second account just to upload more stuff.

Soundcloud are definitely worthy...well worth paying my way to get more hours.
why pay? why not try bandcamp, you can upload as much music as you like in WAV or MP3 and not worry about the limits soundcloud set and they don't ask for payment just to upload more music, plus on bandcamp you can sell your music. Of course there is no social aspect on bandcamp where you have followers and you following people.
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syn303 View Post
why pay? why not try bandcamp, you can upload as much music as you like in WAV or MP3 and not worry about the limits soundcloud set and they don't ask for payment just to upload more music, plus on bandcamp you can sell your music. Of course there is no social aspect on bandcamp where you have followers and you following people.
I've been using Bandcamp since its very early days. I use it for my 'finished' music. I use Soundcloud for my synth demos. I also use Youtube but in a much less organised manner, only a couple of synth demos on that.

I deleted my Myspace profile as that site had become a heaving mess. What on Earth possessed Myspace to think they had to compete with Facebook? They were an excellent music-sharing site, not a social network site. At least, that's how I saw Myspace before Murdoch bought them. I discovered loads of interesting new music and even got emailing with some of my favourite musicians. Myspace seems dead now.
Old 5th September 2011
Soundcloud has been a good experience for me so far, but that experience has changed as I got more followers. In the beginning when it was <200 I would check them all out, these days I just don't have the time to view them all. So I'll mostly just check out ones that comment and if I like what they do I'll follow back, generally I only follow things I like. It was getting very spamy a while back, had to report a lot of pm's, but that has stopped now thank god.

Sure SC is a social network, but its not about collecting fans, 99% of the users are fellow producers, so its silly imo.

As for improvements I'd like:
to see easily what groups a track is in from the tracks info page
to post a track to multiple groups in one go
to offer a private link to a track that is also available to stream only to general public (you need to load a separate copy afaik)

Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search