The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Syncing external hardware from a daw Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear
Syncing external hardware from a daw

I have about eight devices that I'm trying to sync to ableton live.

Daisy chaining raises a bunch of problems, and I don't know what would be best to sync all of my stuff.

I bought silent way to sync some of my moog gear, and I'm looking at the es-4 as an option.

Basically, I want to use ableton to set up scenes with various info into these hardware pieces
1) Eventide space - CC/PC and midi sync
2) Strymon Timeline - CC/Bank/PC and midi sync
3) Lightfoot labs goatkeeper - audio in sync
4) Moog midi murf - cc for everything
5) Boss Slicer - midi sync
6) Vermona lancet mono synth- cc
7) Korg ES-1

I'm mainly looking for a way to control patch changes / bank changes on the space/timeline. I also send midi notes to the murf and es-1.

I'm totally lost. I want everything to sync up to ableton, but it's just not happening.
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

I am not quite sure what sort of problem you are running into...

You seem to have a mix of CV controlled and MIDI devices. Use Silent way to send out CV to things like the goatkeeper (I don't think it has MIDI, does it?) then get a multiple output MIDI interface for the MIDI controlled devices (like the korg Es-1, and everything else on your list) You should be able to send out whatever MIDI notes, patch changes, CCs, NRP, etc... Some devices should even let you sync LFOs and stuff to your MIDI clock rate.

What are you using as a MIDI interface currently? If you are trying to chain multiple devices with MIDI through ports you can run into problems (despite MIDI supposedly being able to handle that) If each device is on its own port you don't need to worry about assigning each device a separate MIDI channel. Use the external instrument option in Ableton Live, tell it what MIDI channel and port each track you want to use to control an external device is set to...
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by zosthegoatherd View Post
I am not quite sure what sort of problem you are running into...

You seem to have a mix of CV controlled and MIDI devices. Use Silent way to send out CV to things like the goatkeeper (I don't think it has MIDI, does it?) then get a multiple output MIDI interface for the MIDI controlled devices (like the korg Es-1, and everything else on your list) You should be able to send out whatever MIDI notes, patch changes, CCs, NRP, etc... Some devices should even let you sync LFOs and stuff to your MIDI clock rate.

What are you using as a MIDI interface currently? If you are trying to chain multiple devices with MIDI through ports you can run into problems (despite MIDI supposedly being able to handle that) If each device is on its own port you don't need to worry about assigning each device a separate MIDI channel. Use the external instrument option in Ableton Live, tell it what MIDI channel and port each track you want to use to control an external device is set to...
My midi devices are the port of the ultralite mk3 and an older m-audio midisport. I think the m-auido causes problems because it's usb1.1.

Basically, I tried daisy chaining everything, but it was overwhelming certain pedals, and they wouldn't track the clock from ableton properly.

I need a recommendation for a good multi in/out midi box. I'll worry about the cv stuff later.
Old 4th September 2011

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search