The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Are Korg MS-10 and Yamaha CS-5 redundant? Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 4th September 2011
Gear Nut

Are Korg MS-10 and Yamaha CS-5 redundant?

Hi,

This is my first post here so hello to everyone!
Is it worthy having these two synths together? Do they complement or are they redundant? I own an MS-10 but the CS-5 seems to have a nice sound too. Thank you
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

I had a CS5 for several years. It was all I could afford at the time. I honestly couldn't recommend it for its sound. It was one of the most lack-lustre synths I ever owned.

It's CV input is also Hz/V, which was a big problem back then.

I couldn't wait to get rid of it TBH, and I wouldn't want another.
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

I would think they're different enough to own both. But in the end, if you want it, get it. Who cares if they sound similar. This IS Gearslutz after all =o]
Old 4th September 2011
Gear Nut

Ok, thanks a lot for your answers!!
BTW, the guy who sells the synth told me since he connected it to a MIDI/CV converter it has a stuck note (the last one) when played. Maybe he fried something, perhaps the ADSR circuit he said. The manual says that if wrong connections are made (i.e. out to out) damage may be caused to both units connected.
Anyhow, no idea about the cost of a service for this fault, but he is asking 275€ for it. Is that too much for a non-full working little synth? It should be cheaper, isn´t it?

Thanks
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear
From my perspective, CS monosynths are interesting because of their flexibility and architecture, not because of their raw tone. The CS-5 is the simplest and most limited of them all. I don't see much reason to buy one if you already have something else that's slightly similar. And since it's not fully working, there's even less reason to buy it.
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

That sounds over-priced to me, even if it were working perfectly. There are plenty of better fish out in the sea. Something like a Roland SH-09 would be a far better investment IMO - that's one little synth I miss occasionally.
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

I quite like the CS Series.
The CS-5 is indeed a simple synth, but you also get filter input, which can be always useful for processing.
And the CS-15 is a really cool synth with really nice features.

However, since it's not fully working, I'd say it's not worth it...
You should be able to find one in Europe for a bit more working, and that's probably wiser.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search