The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
sidechain in pro tools vocal+ bass kick (trance) DAW Software
Old 4th September 2011
Gear Nut

sidechain in pro tools vocal+ bass kick (trance)

can somebody point me to the right direction on how to side chain compressed the vocal with a bass kick together? my goal is to achieve that pumping effect with my vocal at the same time when the bass kick kicks. ok, so i'm using pro tools 8. i create a stereo aux channel. add the default pro tools plugin compressor into this channel. then go to my vocal channel ( this is where i want to sidechain) then locate the bus input to whatever the bus is on the aux channel. on my aux channel, open the compressor plugin and locate the bus and then enabled sidechain on the right. on my vocal channel i bring up the send to the same bus the aux channel is on. but i don't hear the sidechain kicking in at all when the bass kick hit? what did i do wrong?
Old 4th September 2011
Gear Nut

nvm got it work now.
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by grace24 View Post
nvm got it work now.
Please tell us the solution so others can use this thread as a resource, please.

-andrews
Old 4th September 2011
Gear Nut

ok sure, i will try to explain as easy as possible since i'm sort of new to this side chain compressor in pro tools too. first you want to create a stereo aux channel. select the input bus to whatever you want (for example, input bus 30). put the stock digi compressor plugin on the aux channel. then go to your bass kick channel or whatever channel that you want to trigger the side chain and send out to a bus that correspond the aux channel bus - bus 30! this track that you are going to side chain will go into the key compressor locate on the your aux channel. so open the digi plugin on your aux channel and locate the key to bus 30. enabled the side chain key on the right and this will only compress that track you want to trigger. then adjust the send volume and tweak the compressor around to fit your needs. hope that help. if i'm wrong on anything just let me know and i'll take it as learning experience. i had it right last time just didn't tweak the compressor and volume on the send.
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by grace24 View Post
ok sure, i will try to explain as easy as possible since i'm sort of new to this side chain compressor in pro tools too. first you want to create a stereo aux channel. select the input bus to whatever you want (for example, input bus 30). put the stock digi compressor plugin on the aux channel. then go to your bass kick channel or whatever channel that you want to trigger the side chain and send out to a bus that correspond the aux channel bus - bus 30! this track that you are going to side chain will go into the key compressor locate on the your aux channel. so open the digi plugin on your aux channel and locate the key to bus 30. enabled the side chain key on the right and this will only compress that track you want to trigger. then adjust the send volume and tweak the compressor around to fit your needs. hope that help. if i'm wrong on anything just let me know and i'll take it as learning experience. i had it right last time just didn't tweak the compressor and volume on the send.
Yes, thanks, this will be very helpful to people in the future

The only thing I'll add is that attack and release times will greatly change the pumping, so play with those settings!

-andrews
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search