The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Duet driver for Lion: Low volume? Studio Monitors
Old 3rd September 2011
Duet driver for Lion: Low volume?

I just installed OSX Lion and installed the new drivers for Duet (1).

The first thing I noticed is that the volume output to my monitors is much lower than before. By simple comparison it used to get pretty loud at around 5-10% on the mac volume indicator. Now I need to go about 50% to get a similar level. I never had to crank it that high before.

I didn't save my maestro settings so I forgot what settings I had. I tried all possible options though and I'm running out of ideas.

I have mixer outputs going into the XLR input of the duet and the inputs are set to -10dBV in maestro. The duet 1/4" outputs are then connect directly to my KRK RP6s. The output is set to -10dBV in Maestro.

Anyone else notice something similar?

Maybe it's a stupid setting I'm forgetting somewhere. Or maybe I'm going crazy.

I'll contact apogee on tuesday but until then I figured I'd check here just in case.

Thanks.
Old 4th September 2011
Here for the gear

I don't have the solution, but I totally agree with you. It's MUCH quieter. I turned up the volume on my Rokit 8's, but had to put it back down since I have noticeable noise from the outputs not being balanced. I run my Rokits at about -6dB to mask the line noise and now I'm at about 80% volume when I want to play guitar from an amp quietly over a drum loop on my iMac.
Old 5th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelHavok View Post
I don't have the solution, but I totally agree with you. It's MUCH quieter. I turned up the volume on my Rokit 8's, but had to put it back down since I have noticeable noise from the outputs not being balanced. I run my Rokits at about -6dB to mask the line noise and now I'm at about 80% volume when I want to play guitar from an amp quietly over a drum loop on my iMac.
Yeah it's quite strange. I'll contact apogee during the week to see if they have any ideas. Unless it's a Lion thing, I probably should have updated the duet driver and tested before upgrading the OS.
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Nut

I have also experienced this. Im downgrading to the previous driver release. Im still on SL

EDIT: I just rolled back to the Sept09 driver release. The difference is extremely obvious. Apogee has screwed up something with the new driver release
Old 14th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPiTFiREgr View Post
I have also experienced this. Im downgrading to the previous driver release. Im still on SL

EDIT: I just rolled back to the Sept09 driver release. The difference is extremely obvious. Apogee has screwed up something with the new driver release
Yeah I talked to someone from apogee via the live chat, I asked him about this issue and he said that he's never heard of it and that I should just reinstall the drivers (which I did, but it didn't do anything). I don't think he knew much about their products...

I got used to having the volume at 50% but it's still annoying. I've already downgraded to SL once before so I really don't feel like doing it again. I'll try to contact apogee again and hopefully get a different opinion.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Assuming you have ruled out all the settings in Maestro that might cause it (?) then it certainly couldn't hurt to delete it's preference files..
I've not had to do this, and it might vary from system to system, but I counted 1 in the main library > preferences folder, and 3 in the user Library > preferences folder.
Thats in SL.. I'll have to check it on my test Lion install later to be sure it's the same..
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Nut

No it doesn't seem to have any relation to maestro settings or preferences files. I did a clean uninstall/install with the Lion drivers. This is obviously an Apogee fault.

What i forgot to test out is that if thats a software control issue then what happens when you keep raising the volume with the Duet knob even if it reaches the highest level in the volume fader/indicator on the screen? If it doesnt get any louder, then what does the driver affect on the sound stream so that it cant get any louder?
Old 20th September 2011
Lives for gear

Any resolution to this issue?
Old 20th September 2011
Lives for gear

Uninstalling may well remove the software, but im not certain it will remove the preference files. Did any of you actually go into the preference folders and remove them manually?
Be sure to check system and user preference folders.

I don't have an audio level drop in Lion with my fw Duet here.. But the latest drivers were installed fresh. So there was no old drivers/preferences etc beforehand..
Old 20th September 2011
Gear Nut

I did a clean uninstall of any apogee software and parameters files before installing the Aug11 (Lion) drivers and notice the lower lever output issue. I'm on Snow Leopard though..

I can't tell for sure, but i dont think that the issue can be OS depended unless something major changed in CoreAudio with Lion

Llitsor are you sure your output level is not lower than the previous driver release? Can you compare them again?
Old 20th September 2011
Gear Nut

OK i did a clean install of Aug11 drivers again and as it seems the gain output is right now. Although the new output popup display has a different appearance and thats what may have confused us. I did my tests with Audio MIDI Setup this time
Old 20th September 2011
Here for the gear

Same problem here.
Old 21st September 2011
Both times I contacted apogee about this all they could say is to try to uninstall/reinstall which I did but with no luck. I haven't tried manually removing the preference files, I'll try this tomorrow.

It could just be that in Lion the volume indicator is calibrated differently but I doubt it.

The apogee guy also suggested I uninstall the driver to see if it happens without it, but of course without the driver/maestro the duet's knob doesn't affect the mac volume indicator so I can't tell.

Can you guys try to contact apogee as well to see if you get anything different from them? I keep getting generic 'try reinstalling' answers which aren't helping.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search