The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
I feel like I've run out of sounds... lol Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 3rd September 2011
Here for the gear

I feel like I've run out of sounds... lol

The only analog I have is a slim phatty (got it for Christmas last year). I have been playing with it for the past hour but I feel like I can't get any new sounds out of it that I haven't already heard before. Seems as though I'm lacking knobs... I know if I had some outboard effects units I could probably do more...

I had a microkorg but sold it because the keyboard was crap and it sounded so thin. So I'm taking the money from that and getting an akai mpk49.

Anyways, should I be able to do more with my sp? or have I reached the limit of sounds I can get from it? What do you guys think?
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

The standard gs answer is get more gear. I don't think you have heard every sound the phatty can make
Old 3rd September 2011
DSK
Lives for gear

Grab a Strymon Timeline delay.

Problem solved
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

So you are recommending a product that hasnt even been released yet?

Website said:

10 weeks shipping lead time
Not released yet
Dont know when it will be released
Dont ask us when its going to be released.

Cool story bro.

OR

Eventide TimeFactor | Sweetwater.com
Old 3rd September 2011
DSK
Lives for gear

If he really looks around maybe he finds a dealer and preorders one from them.
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

dude.... buy a couple of soft synths.... you'll never run out of sounds and some of them sound even better than hardware synths.

particularly Omnisphere, Massive, u-He Zebra & ACE , Imposcar...

you could get all of those for about the same price as a little phatty
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Love View Post
I feel like I can't get any new sounds out of it that I haven't already heard before. Seems as though I'm lacking knobs... I know if I had some outboard effects units I could probably do more.
Well the SP is a one trick mono-pony, so it's made to be bought and used for that reason. I know you got it as a gift, but you're supposed to buy it because you need it for your projects, not because you're looking for fresh new sounds (which is also dependant on your skill, knob turning doesn't mean synth programming skill, trust me). I find it hard to believe you tried every sound pack for the SP on the internet, and that youve scrolled through every digital menu and tried every YouTube tutorial - even Jordan Rudess teaches you how to get great sounds with the system. However, the SP is about control, not gigantic variety. What recent synth released has creamier leads and more growling bass?

And yes, effects will bring the SP to a new horizon, but it'll still be the same Moog horizon, just prettier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrok Rolles View Post
particularly Omnisphere, Massive, u-He Zebra & ACE , Imposcar...

you could get all of those for about the same price as a little phatty
True, but none of their leads will sound the way a Little Phatty does, and certainly won't cut through the mix with pure analog power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSK View Post
If he really looks around maybe he finds a dealer and preorders one from them.
Sad that you're going so far as to recommend a product that he has to bust his ass to get, which Timefactor probably destroys, and OP is probably not interested in.
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

Pure analog power!

OOOH NO HIS ANALOG POWER LEVEL IS OFF THE SCALE?!!?!?!

Enter... the legendary Super Analogsaiyan User!!!!

HADOKEN!!!

(Now at this point if I was super cool I would have made a little animated .GIF of Ryu or Ken firing a Mini out of their hands while frozen in the classic fireball pose)

Sent from my PC36100 using Gearslutz.com App
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCTION View Post

True, but none of their leads will sound the way a Little Phatty does, and certainly won't cut through the mix with pure analog power.
I will agree that they won't sound like the LP, but he already has an LP so he doesn't really need that, does he?

I will completely disagree that "they won't cut through a mix with pure analog power".... those synths I mentioned will slice through a mix like a chainsaw through butter if you EQ & Compress them correctly...
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sftd View Post
(Now at this point if I was super cool I would have made a little animated .GIF of Ryu or Ken firing a Mini out of their hands while frozen in the classic fireball pose)
Not sure what the point of your post was, but I know im right, and I'm a heavy Omnishere user/supporter too - so I'm not against digital.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrok Rolles View Post
I will agree that they won't sound like the LP, but he already has an LP so he doesn't really need that, does he?

I will completely disagree that "they won't cut through a mix with pure analog power".... those synths I mentioned will slice through a mix like a chainsaw through butter if you EQ & Compress them correctly...
Thought you were encouraging him to sell the SP since you said "you can get all those for the price of an SP".

And I never said they won't cut through well, I just said they won't cut through like a Phatty does, so I wouldn't sell it if that was the intention.

Unless he's not juicing the sounds out of it correctly, or are unhappy with it, then sell it right away
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

You probably need to start turning some of the other knobs. Or get an Evolver, great sounding little thing which shouldn't overlap too much with what you have. Lots of new sounds in it, plus you could run it into the Phatty and layer them for extra extra.
Old 4th September 2011
DSK
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sad that you're going so far as to recommend a product that he has to bust his ass to get, which Timefactor probably destroys, and OP is probably not interested in.
hehGood points!

...but that's what I'd do if I had this problem.

As for the TimeFactor maybe it has more complex stuff in there yet I found the sound of the Strymon (user demos especially) extremely warm and pleasant, and also with 12 modes of operation and lots of parameters I think it covers a lot of ground.

I'm recommending it to consider one. Maybe he doesn't have a lot to spend so instead of getting a TimeFactor now which is more expensive he could wait for one.

Although 10 weeks is a long time didn't knew about that.
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

...then make your own lol
Old 4th September 2011
Here for the gear

run out of sounds?!!!! dooh!!!!

Hey guy i think you need to come up for air.....an octave is only 13 notes....and how many variations?!

walk away and come back in awhile...its not the gear.....

dont fall into the technical trap... its only the bus or taxi that gets you there....

its not the brand of guitar or what type of mixer...

its the music..

best wishes

Mellonhead
Old 4th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellonhead View Post
Hey guy i think you need to come up for air.....an octave is only 13 notes....and how many variations?!

walk away and come back in awhile...its not the gear.....

dont fall into the technical trap... its only the bus or taxi that gets you there....

its not the brand of guitar or what type of mixer...

its the music..

best wishes

Mellonhead
Yeah it's like guitarists complaining they only have 1 sound, which is hilarious to think about. If youre running out of sounds its because your melodies are sucky and boring (possibly your playing skill is horrible too), think about the greatest melodies ever built that sounds so amazing to your ears - the original sound isnt that hard to build but it sounds fantastic when its used with the perfect melody.

So if youre poking keys just to hear some twinkles, expect to run out very fast, even on a Virus TI2
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

i felt this way for a while with basic subtractive synths. I'll never claim to be programming genius though. I prefer wavetables and sampling synths most of the time. I love to make pads and atmosphere's so using random samples as ocs. can be a blast.
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Anyways, should I be able to do more with my sp? or have I reached the limit of sounds I can get from it? What do you guys think?
You haven't run out of sounds.
Run sounds into stuff, run that stuff into more stuff, buss it all to another bunch of stuff.
Get a microphone and look through your kitchen.
Record yourself; chop it, mangle it, loop it, throw in a sampler and mangle it some more.

Run out of sounds?
No such thing.
Listen around you, all day, every day, there are a multitude of sounds.
Get creative.
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
but I know im right
I'm not sure if you noticed yet, but EVERYONE here (besides me, I'm always wrong) knows they're right.

Get in line!

Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

try and get r e t a r d e d with it... i bet you'll come up with something new for your ears.. or get a distortion pedal.

Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

LOL @ the Haduoken.
Old 4th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Phatty plus dirty EHX or MXR pedal: happiness. Go on. Do it.
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

It's all about FX. They turn one instrument into N instruments. If you own N instruments, then you get N to the N.

Quote:
The only analog I have is a slim phatty (got it for Christmas last year). I have been playing with it for the past hour but I feel like I can't get any new sounds out of it that I haven't already heard before. Seems as though I'm lacking knobs... I know if I had some outboard effects units I could probably do more...

I had a microkorg but sold it because the keyboard was crap and it sounded so thin. So I'm taking the money from that and getting an akai mpk49.

Old 4th September 2011
Gear Guru

Effects are one way of increasing your potential for new sounds. Guitarists probably know this better than anyone as the normal guitar has but a few knobs and switches and that's it. Sure, technique will also get you far, but the basic tone you'll get out of it really relies on your amp and what it can do. When you run out of that... pedals... or in my case, software. If you're already using a computer for recording and production you might look into some soft synths or effects. I bet you'll be pleasantly surprised at how good some of them are. I especially love the Native Instruments effects and and their synths like Absynth are pure infinite sound making machines (disclaimer, I'm buying the Komplete bundle and selling my NI licenses in the classifieds.) It will complement your SP perfectly as it is pure digital and doesn't try to emulate any analog... or digital bit of gear that exists... or has ever existed.

Also, there's Reaktor... which is a modular system that will give you an almost infinite amount of possible synths, sample based instruments and effects. Even if you never go beyond the included instruments to make your own, they're awesome. Plus, there's a giant online library of free downloads of stuff other people have made. Amazing value. (I can't sell you that one as someone else has already spoken for it and unless someone wants my full bundle I'll sell it to him since he spoke for it first)

Anyway, I could go one but the list is huge and not very expensive. Also, you could get a cheap old Yamaha or Digitech multieffect and stay pure hardware and get away fairly cheap.
Old 4th September 2011
Gear Maniac

you can make soo many sounds with just a LP...
Old 4th September 2011
restpause
I'm with the guy who recommended getting some software too. Get some VSTi's that let you import new waveforms and you won't run out of sounds. Then you'll have the best of both worlds.
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

have you tried turning all the buttons 180 degrees to the left?

how about blindly hitting things while playing random chords
Old 4th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie H View Post
how about blindly hitting things while playing random chords
Chords huh? Where'd you come up with that bright idea?

Did you not realize an SP can't do chords lol.
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

i ****ing love analog monosynths

i assure you that you haven't come close to discovering all their is to discover about an analog mono in your first year with one

while many analog sounds don't need any fx... it opens up an entire universe of possibilites

grab some outboard digital multi fx processor like an eventide h3000 d/se, or Kurzweil Mangler/Rumour and you'll love that slimphatty even more than you thought you could
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellonhead View Post
Hey guy i think you need to come up for air.....an octave is only 13 notes...
That's a big assumption. Some of us don't divide our octaves up that way.
Old 4th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Chords huh? Where'd you come up with that bright idea?
lol!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search