The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Need advice on what to do with my OBXA & DMX Modular Synthesizers
Old 3rd September 2011
Here for the gear

Need advice on what to do with my OBXA & DMX

Hi All,

I'm new here and joined hoping to get some good advice. I've got an OBXa with the Cooper MIDI mod. It's the 8 voice model. When I last used it a few years ago it was working OK but I dug it out of storage and when I fired it up the voice cards all light up and I get a faint constant drone out of it (think of the THX sound effect at the theaters) but nothing else and the lights on the buttons on top don't come on.

I've also got a DMX with the MIDI mod and a couple of the buttons on the top row don't fire off sounds and part of one of the LEDS looks to be out.

I spoke to a guy in LA who felt like they both could probably be fixed fairly easily and there's a guy close by in San Luis Obispo who repairs keyboards that I'm waiting to hear from.

Anyway, to get to the point, I don't use them and am going to sell them. Am I better of repairing them and sellling them or should I sell as is or part them out (which I'd really prefer NOT to do)?

What would be fair prices to ask in each of those scenarios? Also, what amount repair cost would warrant selling as is?

I'm not in a place where I want to wring every single penny out of them but more interested in knowing a fair price to ask and getting them to someone who'll use and appreciate them.

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated as right now they're just gathering dust... I'm not a synth guy (as you can probably tell) so that's why they're not getting used.
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

If you don't use it, sell it. I wouldn't part it out. They are both great. I personally would just find out what it would cost
Old 3rd September 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by elijahbrown View Post
If you don't use it, sell it. I wouldn't part it out. They are both great. I personally would just find out what it would cost
Exactly. They're great and it's a real shame to have them just sitting in the music room gathering dust when the right person could do a lot with them.

I forgot to add that I also have an extra voice card for the DMX. It's a Long, Crash and Ride. Can anyone give me an idea of what it'd be worth?

Thanks
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

Man, get that OBXa fixed. The voice cards seem to be gold dust these days. Alas, I've given up getting any for my 4 voice OBXa. :(

From what you say, I wonder if its just a simple power issue? Most important thing is let a qualified tech check it out, even if its only an advisary.

If you can get it fixed + a service done, you are going to have a very desirable analogue poly to sell. ..which is a shame. You should at least keep it for a while and enjoy what its capable of.
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

You have an oberheim 4 voice for sale? Does it work

Never mind didn't see the obxa
Old 3rd September 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by flat earth View Post
Man, get that OBXa fixed. The voice cards seem to be gold dust these days. Alas, I've given up getting any for my 4 voice OBXa. :(

From what you say, I wonder if its just a simple power issue? Most important thing is let a qualified tech check it out, even if its only an advisary.

If you can get it fixed + a service done, you are going to have a very desirable analogue poly to sell. ..which is a shame. You should at least keep it for a while and enjoy what its capable of.
I'm hoping it is something simple. The guy in LA said he thought a good cleaning would handle a lot of it as it was working when I quit using it and there was no accident/etc... involved.

The problem with keeping it for a while is that I'll play with it some, have a good time and then not sell it and it'll end up gathering dust again while someone with the knowledge and talent could really do something with it.

Back story, I'm guitarist and back in the 80's the original purchaser gave it and the DMX to me in exchange for some computer programming I helped him with. I can only play keyboard well enough to write simple chord progressions. It's too beautiful of an instrument to waste away with someone of my limited abilities.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search