The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
3rd Envelope Generator Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Head

3rd Envelope Generator

What are your favorite ways to use it? I've just ordered a DSI Prophet '08 and I've never had a synth with a 3rd EG on it before. I'm excited to see what can be done.
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Addict

Wavetable sweeps!

(what's that, no wavetables? well...)
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

I also have a Prophet 08 and think the 3rd envelope is very useful. Try, for example, using it to modulate an LFO's frequency. I've also used it to achieve really looong attacks by combining two envelopes, one of them with a long delay such that it starts after the first envelope finishes its attack cycle. You can also use Env3 to control the noise level, for example, for the initial whiff sound in a flute patch. Or, if you want some FM strangeness... run an LFO into audio frequencies and use it to modulate one of the oscillators, then use Env3 to control the amount of modulation... you can obtain some nice inharmonic "klang" for e-piano sounds.
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

EG 1 - inverted and modulating DCO1's pitch
EG 2 - modulating the VCF Frequency
EG 3 - modulating the Attack of EG 1

Old 5th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by deanodeano View Post
What are your favorite ways to use it? I've just ordered a DSI Prophet '08 and I've never had a synth with a 3rd EG on it before. I'm excited to see what can be done.
Keep in mind you can set envelope 3 to repeat (misc parameters) so you can use it as an LFO in a way.

Updated: Made a quick little patch on the prophet08 inspired by blinky's suggesting of modulating DCO pitch with an inverted envelope. Here I'm using envelope 3 on repeat as sort of an LFO to modulate the filter cutoff. I then set an LFO to modulate envelope 3's decay which essentially varies the "LFO rate" of envelope 3 if you will.

Of course this is just a 'farting' demo but more musical things can be done with it if you keep it subtle.
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

Bloodsample - nice!

You can do some crazy stuff with EG's.
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodsample View Post
That is pretty cool. That gives me some ideas thank you.
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Addict

The most common thing would be OSC Pitch.

EG 1: VCA
EG 2: VCF
EG 3: OSC Pitch

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search