The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Writing in software, then dealing with hardware...or vice versa?
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear
Writing in software, then dealing with hardware...or vice versa?

I recently bought a ton of guitar stuff and synth stuff, leading me to be overwhelmed by the available tones.

I haven't been productive at all, except for making cool sounds.

Well, I finally sat down with ableton and started writing. What I realized is that writing in software daws is much easier for me. I have unlimited options for tones, but the music itself gets the priority; rather than just creating sounds all day. Obviously the sound quality is a bit lacking.

So, once I finish the track, I go back to my hardware and attempt to re-create similar sounds. This has also led me to working with the guitar in more interesting ways. I only have one mono synth, so if I need to re-create a pad or sequence, I create ambient wash patches with my pedals, or I send a sequence to my moog murf, delay, or looper.

Anyone do something similar, or the opposite?
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

I've been doing this lately. Renoise is the only tolerable sequencer that runs acceptably on the Linux system that's my main laptop, so it's what I always have with me. It's a great little sketchpad for me, great for knocking out drum loops and the new loop slicer's quite nice to work with, but I can't really get a mix I'm happy with, plus I've got a pile of h/w gear that I like to play with. But with Renoise (which is basically a sampler with a built-in sequencer rather than the other way around) it's quite easy to then move everything (digitally) into my Yamaha h/w sampler and start mucking about with effects or redoing some of the sounds on my Evolver or other h/w synth. Everything does tend to end up in Live on an old mack to do the final arrangement, though, but I've got a few nice pieces of gear that make everything sound better in the end I think.

The dream would be to have a 1:1 correspondance between the sounds I have in Renoise and the sounds I have in hardware and have all the synths hooked up to a nice desk so I could just plug the laptop into a MIDI interface and work seamlessly, but I'm unlikely to ever get around to that.
Old 4th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrvana8775 View Post
Anyone do something similar
Yeah, I've been doing that of late.
I'm not set to one workflow, but if I have some musical ideas I'll quickly slam something down with a softsynth, then later try and improve on both the sound and the part with something from my hardware.
A few times recently while spinning through some soft synth pre-sets I've come across a patch that's inspired a musical idea. Afterwards I attempted to replace that patch with something similar using a hardware synth and in the process advanced the initial idea to something more interesting.
So it's been a real winner of a process for me.
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear
for me it's the opposite way around, if i have only soft synths i don't even start a track cause in my mind if i don't use the hardware stuff it might become a loss of time.

i prefer to start and keep all the effort on my hardware, which sometimes doesn't let you be creative fast like when its all ITB

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search