The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Recommend me a external audio rate-LFO modulation device Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Head

Recommend me a external audio rate-LFO modulation device

Hello, I'm in the look for a external filter that is capable to modulate the LFO to audio rate, as my Korg MS-20 and Roland SH-2 is not capable of doing this (without mods).

Which one would you recommend me?

This far I've been checking out Korg Monotron, Waldorf Miniworks and Harvestman Polivoks VCF.

Korg Monotron would be great value for this purpose if it does what I want good.

Thanks in advance!
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

The LFO on the Monotron easily goes into audio rate and makes some interesting sounds. The problem is that the output is too noisy for some people.

If you're considering the modular route (e.g., Polivoks) you could probably build a Doepfer Mini Case with a filter (Polivoks in this case), a wide range oscillator (like Bubblesound uLFO) and something else. Sure, it wouldn't be cheap but it would be great-sounding and extremely flexible.
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfac View Post
The LFO on the Monotron easily goes into audio rate and makes some interesting sounds. The problem is that the output is too noisy for some people.

If you're considering the modular route (e.g., Polivoks) you could probably build a Doepfer Mini Case with a filter (Polivoks in this case), a wide range oscillator (like Bubblesound uLFO) and something else. Sure, it wouldn't be cheap but it would be great-sounding and extremely flexible.
If I go on the modular route with Harvestman Polivoks I need a LFO aswell, probably the Doepfer one which could go up to 4kHz. Which means around 350€ incl. mini case.

This is a tricky one...
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Head

does the ms-20 or sh-2 have a CV input for filter cutoff?
If that is the case you can just patch in a audio signal there to get the job done.
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by breiflabb View Post
does the ms-20 or sh-2 have a CV input for filter cutoff?
If that is the case you can just patch in a audio signal there to get the job done.
Sounds very interesting. Can you please explain this further?

Well met
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear
lightfoot labs goatkeeper?
Old 4th September 2011
Gear Head

I checked the ms-20, it has CV inputs for both filters. Just plug another synth into the cutoff frequency inputs and play a low note, voila, audio rate modulation. Read up on CV, Control Voltage. A LFO is just a very slow oscillator.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search