The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Erasure in the front cover of Electronic Musician Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

Erasure in the front cover of Electronic Musician

You can also check this link:

Erasure Interview | EM Interviews Erasure on Audio Production Techniques for Tomorrow's World 2011 Album

as well as the respective interviews of Vince Clarke, Andy Bell and Frankmusik.

Vince says he used a lot of the SCI Pro One, SCI Prophet 5, Moog Minimoog, RSF Kobol, Roland System 100 and System 700, Roland Juno 60, Roland Jupiter-8 and Oberheim Expander.

In another interview I have read that he used the DSI Mopho KB, too.heh
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear
A long interview. Nice read. Thanks for posting the link.

Speaking of Vince Clarke, I'd love to see him go back to the production and composition values from the time of Yazoo...with Alison Moyet behind the microphone....

Love this Erasure song though:
Erasure - Breath - YouTube
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

Did they talk about why they felt the need to use obvious Autotune on Andy Bell's vocals on the new album?!

As a long time fan of the band since the 80s, and in fact I had my D50 signed by Vince, I'm really appalled at this decision.

They need to stop messing with these bedroom producers and stick with the old regulars like Gareth Jones or Flood....

Regards,
Frank
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionian View Post
Did they talk about why they felt the need to use obvious Autotune on Andy Bell's vocals on the new album?!

As a long time fan of the band since the 80s, and in fact I had my D50 signed by Vince, I'm really appalled at this decision.

They need to stop messing with these bedroom producers and stick with the old regulars like Gareth Jones or Flood....

Regards,
Frank
I'm not sure why, but maybe they just like the sound?
Old 4th September 2011
Gear Maniac

<3 me some Erasure. Guilty pleasure for serious postpunk junkie. Hmm, actually I retract that. Unashamedly <3 me some Erasure, in gold lame shorts.

I don't entirely get the fuss of this Frankmusik chap, with his whatsit compressors and all, but he's at least a year younger than me, dates popstars and sells records. I daresay that I, and Erasure, who haven't been in the top ten for a while just wondered what he could do for them to inject a little stylistic currency into their music, and aside from Andy's sweet, fierce voice and Vince's incredible programming and patch design, it sounds from the interview like he's gotten quite creative with them. The first single didn't knock my socks off, but I'm sure it's got its moments as an album.
Old 4th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by ionian View Post

Regards,
Frank
+1,000 ******* auto tune Andy Bell has a fantastic voice wtf

Old 4th October 2011
Now that the album is published in Germany, I have to say that it sounds like a cheaply-made remix album of a regular Erasure album. Great voice, great songwriting and great synth work - deeply buried in flashy DJ-producer tricks.
Congrats, Frankmusik, you've (nearly) managed to make Erasure sound like everyone else!

I'm quite sure Erasure chose Frankmusik for musical reasons rather than finance or hipness, but I sure hope that sooner or later they'll realize that this was a step in the wrong direction...

BTW: This album reminds me of Second Decay's last (!) record, "Kaltes Weisses Licht", which was produced in two different versions, sounding clubby (SECOND DECAY - KALTES WEISSES LICHT Video by Tristement - Myspace Video) or synthpoppy (can't find that version on the net)...

Cheers,
Bert
Old 4th October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feinstrom View Post

I'm quite sure Erasure chose Frankmusik for musical reasons rather than finance or hipness, but I sure hope that sooner or later they'll realize that this was a step in the wrong direction...

Cheers,
Bert
+100000

Thank you. I've been one of the biggest Erasure fans on the planet since about '88 and this is the first time that not only do I have to turn my back on them but I'm actually embarrassed for them.

It feels like they're afraid of not being as hip as modern day crap pop but I think they're forgetting that part of the charm of Erasure has been that they've always been their own entity.

I saw an interview recently where Andy Bell was praising how different Frankmusik treated Erasure's music by using massive amounts of compression, which Erasure has never done before. And he was saying it as if it was a good thing! I felt like throwing up in my mouth to be honest.

I have no idea what they were thinking.

This new album makes "Loveboat" sound like, "The Innocents"

Regards,
Frank
Old 4th October 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feinstrom View Post
Congrats, Frankmusik, you've (nearly) managed to make Erasure sound like everyone else!
I'm sure that THAT was the intention...
Otherwise, Erasure would have stuck to their sound.
Old 4th October 2011
Lives for gear

I think that ISISIS was perfectly produced. It feels crisp and not drenched in effects.
Old 4th October 2011
Lives for gear

hey guys

i really like the new album (tomorrow's world), and also like frankmusiks solo work. here's the album in its entirety:

Erasure – Tomorrow's World: exclusive album stream | Music | guardian.co.uk

im really looking forward to buying the deluxe CD once its released here in the US.

as for andys autotuned voice, i love it. its about time they retrofitted his vocal chords! check out the song "then i go twisting" where autotune turns andys voice into an awesome synth lead sound. thats actually my favorite part of the album.

im sure you guys already know about vince's upcoming techno album with former depeche mode bandmate martin gore. its done and will be out in the not too distant future.

mini
Old 4th October 2011
Lives for gear

vince clarke used a Pro One? wow. that's earth shattering news
Old 4th October 2011
Lives for gear

Is it just me but do all those slick hardwood floors and ceiling not look conducive to good sound ... ??? And where the heckfire are you supposed to monitor all that madness ... ???

Just another synth pron shot ... ???

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search