The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best hardware effects (reverb, echo, chorus) unit(s) for synths? Reverb/Delay Processors (HW)
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolColJ View Post
SRE-555/501 with one of the Eventide boxes would be my choice
Thanks for all your tips, I wrote them down and hopefully can set this up right when I get the box. Assuming I get a 501 because it's a bit cheaper, would there be any real difference in setting it up to be pseudo stereo and whatnot? Am I missing out on much?

What really bothers me is that fact that I'm buying a do-it-all box but it doesn't output reverb and delay (the main ones) in stereo, and that I have to buy a whole new reverb box (does that mean I keep Space Echo's reverb levels to 0?). This destroys the budget quite a bit but I'll do it if its worth it.
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCTION View Post
Thanks for all your tips, I wrote them down and hopefully can set this up right when I get the box. Assuming I get a 501 because it's a bit cheaper, would there be any real difference in setting it up to be pseudo stereo and whatnot? Am I missing out on much?

What really bothers me is that fact that I'm buying a do-it-all box but it doesn't output reverb and delay (the main ones) in stereo, and that I have to buy a whole new reverb box (does that mean I keep Space Echo's reverb levels to 0?). This destroys the budget quite a bit but I'll do it if its worth it.
No, your overthinking things, it's plug it in and go!

Get the Eventides first, and then when you have money to spare get the SRE-555 or 501. They are the same, except the 555 has the big rackmount chassis where you can slide it out of the rack when it's bolted in and do maintenace. 501 you just sit it on a desktop

Or do what I did for the longest of time, have the SRE-555, and supplement with VST plugs for more digital reverbs, and I had a Sony HRMP5 and Boss SE-50 for other flanging and phasing etc, that I bought when I first started.
With the SRE-555 being the dominant effects tone, the character and warmth is already there. VST plugs can do reverbs just fine

The reverb on the SRE-555 is adjustable in volume, turn it on or off.
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

I always had great results with the SPX900 and the original Alesis Quadraverb. lately I have picked a Lexicon MPX1 and a Sony R7. The key with all of these is managing the noise floor. But the FX are worth it.
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

Also the Korg SDD3000 is a really powerful sampling DDL with real time controls. I used it for a while years ago. I am looking to pick up another one.
Old 29th March 2012
Gear Maniac

I really love ( as a keyboard player ) all the stuff from Roland ( SRV 330 Huge Strings fantastic !!! ) SDX 330 ( chorus )

Sony V 77 for delays it's huge !! and very polished sound ( think about Walter Afanasieff 's sound )

Basics : PCM 70 Rich plate ( try it with a piano sample ) / H 3000 some modulations

Best luck with your search
Old 30th March 2012
Gear Maniac

Amazed nobody has mentioned the Strymon Timeline yet:

MATRIXSYNTH: nerding out with Roland Juno-6 and Strymon TimeLine [demo]
Old 30th March 2012
Gear Maniac

Eventide Eclipse V4, IMHO, the best effect processor for all my analog gear and vocal.
Simply in use and excellent sound.
Old 4th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubiedubie View Post
Amazed nobody has mentioned the Strymon Timeline yet:

MATRIXSYNTH: nerding out with Roland Juno-6 and Strymon TimeLine [demo]
Thanks for posting, mines coming in the mail on Friday! Still ain't no analog delay, but the pitched delays alone are worth it.
Old 22nd April 2012
Here for the gear

Effectron II ADM 1024
digital delay, sounds analog.
Old 23rd April 2012
Lives for gear

eventide,lexicon or tc on synths.......

I'm looking for a hardware effects unit that will give me nice spacious ,cinematic and mainly natural sounding reverbs that have not got that metalic ring on the tail plus some extras but the reverb is the main thing. Through listening to some online demos i'm liking the eventide 2016 but at £1900 is wayyyyy beyond my budget (i'm thinking in the region of £600). Although i've listened to the space pedal a lot i'm not convinced that i can get that 2016 reverb out of it, I know the the alogs. are different but can space get remotely close or am i better looking elswhere say lexicon or tc m one or fireworx ?
cheers, R.
Old 23rd April 2012
Lives for gear

The Space will not get the 2016 sound - different algorithms.

Yes they are expensive but the 2016s are well worth it. I have two in my system. After toying with cheaper reverbs over the years there is just no getting past the fact that you get what you pay for.

Mexicons and TCs are their own sound, different from the 2016.
Old 23rd April 2012
Hardware side I've used TC FireworX and Lexicon MPX1.

TC Fireworx is not a reverb machine per se, it's a multi fx thing which is great, but I never used it for reverbs, I used Lexicon MPX1 instead which is more dense and lush.

I demoed TC M3000 back in the day, which I think was a bit more higher end like Lexicon PCM91. TC has always sounded thin, clean and kind of realistic to me, not really to my taste. It's completely different sound to Lexicons. My guess is that the lower end TC's have the same "DNA", but I could be wrong.

I now use Eventide 2016 Native plugin which is GREAT for synths. Had I realized Eventide was that good, I'd probably tried to squeeze my budget to get one in my hardware days.

Funny thing is that I kind of feel Eventide 2016 is closer to how I remember Lexicon MPX1 being, when compared to the native Lexicons. The native Lexicons kind of sound more like how I remember TC verbs being, very clean.

It all comes down to personal preference tho, what gets you inspired.
Old 23rd April 2012
in that price range,

Lexicon PCM81 with Dual FX card

it works just great with synths. can do both delays and/or reverbs, modulation effects like flange/chorus.

other options for synths, and "cinematic", that come to mind are all way over that budget.
Old 23rd April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CfNorENa View Post
Kurzweil Rumour.
This.
it's a classic bread&butter unit as not only are the verbs lush and natural, the chorus and delays are quite sweet as well.
I've got an H3000 too, and unless you're just dying to use some of the freakier things it offers then I'd say go for the Rumour first. H3000 sounds wonderful, but usually more artificial/weird than the Rumour. I use the Rumour every day - and I've got plenty of much pricier pieces around here.

It's hard to go wrong here, though. There are a lot of fine choices. Just depends on form-factor and what you need to add vs. merely want or fancy.
Old 23rd April 2012
Lives for gear

Any Eventide stuff is really great, and well worth the price. The Fireworx is a fun unit, but it gets you some really weird stuff, and unless that's what you are into, it's not the best choice for a lot of applications. Lexicon reverb is also great if you're looking for a clean, multi-application verb that is hard to go wrong with. I personally have a bunch of different weird verbs that I've acquired over the years, and have preferences for each application. As far as getting what you pay for, that is true as far as a "standard" reverb goes, but it really depends on the spefic sound you want. One of my favorites is an old analog Fostex spring box that I got for $20 at a yard sale years ago, but it would sound really weird if I wasn't using it for the exact application I do use it for. It really depends on what you are going for as far as reverbs go, I'd go and listen to a bunch of them and see what you think would work best for your music - There are lots of verb demos on youtube. Then again, I don't think I've ever been unhappy with any Eventide products, and I don't know anyone else who has either. Might be the safe way to go if you can afford it
Old 23rd April 2012
Lives for gear

Thanks Guys, Real MC , I've listened to your demos of the 2016 ....they were one of the main factors in wanting that type of sound....i'm u.k. based and the 2016 never seems to come up s/h around here and new are roughly £2000 (just too much for me). Clustercord....listened to a fair bit of pcm81 off a site that an ex eventide programmer has (he posts on here). I'm impressed with what i hear . I know they are around 20 years old... What should i be paying for one realistically and are they reliable ? I have a lex mx300 which is o.k. for the price but doesn't give me that wow factory that i'm looking for (i'm not too bothered about going into eventide crazy mod land).
cheers, R.
Old 23rd April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by clusterchord View Post
in that price range,

Lexicon PCM81 with Dual FX card

it works just great with synths. can do both delays and/or reverbs, modulation effects like flange/chorus.

other options for synths, and "cinematic", that come to mind are all way over that budget.
Please feel free to name your choice for getting that cinematic sound regardless of budget....just curious.....
Old 23rd April 2012
THREADS MERGED
OP do a search next time? thanks!
Old 24th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HYPNOTIKINFEKTED View Post
Hate to burst your bubble,.. not sure if it was a typo

No such tape echo: "RE-401"tutt

Roland Space Echo series:

Analogue / Tape:
RE-100
RE-200
RE-150
RE-101
RE-201
RE-301
RE-501
SRE-555

Digital:
RE-3
RE-5
RE-20
Not relevant, but I believe 4 is a "bad luck number" in Japan, that's why you rarely see any Roland units numbered 4. Jupiter 4 and SP404 are only two I can think of.
Old 24th April 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryankraft View Post
Please feel free to name your choice for getting that cinematic sound regardless of budget....just curious.....
well first n foremost bigger Eventides and Lexicons. i use Lexicon 300 and Eventide Orville (tho a lesser one like DSP7000/7500/EclipseV4 or H4000B+ will do too).

300 - its smooth rich lush sound, larger than life, i like to think of it as sun and stars. esp when combining its reverb with diffused delay taps..uhh ahhh.
Eve - dark, vast dangerous... think monolith floating in space between Jupiter and Io. can get extremely complex if you want to with crapload of pitch shifting and delay options.

300 is used more often, Eve always gets sounds that need special treatment, either to come from really vast distance.. or need some special effect, or chain of effects like multitap->chorus/>reverb, for example..

everything else, like drums, that need not be too distant, is solved with rooms from PCM70 or something else. check my myspace page for Jerusalem, Transferrum Anima and Solaire tracks for the taste of 300, or this: http://www.babic.com/MP3/websites/MIX-AquilonisA.mp3.

and to give you an example of Eventide's vast reverb, here's Orville processing A6:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/elect...y-hit-off.html

you should also check out these threads, there's a lot of info on that subject:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/elect...hlight=orville

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/elect...hlight=orville
Old 9th March 2013
Just got the Strymon timeline which is great.
For reverbs, I use old Roland stuff : DEP5 & SRV330
Old 9th March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhm1138 View Post
Not relevant, but I believe 4 is a "bad luck number" in Japan...
It is. In both Chinese and Japanese the pronunciation of the word "four" sounds similar to the word "death". Some high-rise office and residential buildings will omit all floors with "4" (e.g. 4, 14, 24... 40-49 etc). And in a hospital you virtually never find a fourth floor!
Old 9th March 2013
Lives for gear

Also very good for synths is the Zoom 1201 and the effects section of the Behringer V-Amp2. Lo-fi for sure, but work great with synths.

For yet more different and interesting effects get a re-amp and di and open up to the world of guitar pedals. It's amazing what you can coax out of them. Of course just the reamp/di cost as much as a second hand fx box, but they can give you access to an endless palette of sound. Also I find the guitar pedals to sound different than most fx processors, which can be very useful if you try to make your synth sound different, out of the ordinary.

On the other hand, if you chain different equipment and program them and play with panning, routing etc. you can get amazing results even with very simple units or plugins.

A last idea, totally ITB, is to use wavs/aifs as impulse responses of various kinds, instead of strictly reverb IRs with IR processors, to process synths. Sometimes the results are great, if unpredictable..
Old 9th March 2013
Lives for gear

This also looks (and sounds amazing):

I visited their web page, full of demos (and two synth demos, besides guitar and vocal demos). Some youtubes as well:

Red Panda Particle - Granular Delay / Pitch Shifter Pedal ::

Also, i found a long demo on someones blog:

Cool. I might pick that up later on (after the strymons).
Old 14th March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:

@Dubtek71: What would be the point in getting an Eventide Space if I buy a Roland Space Echo RE-201, the big daddy? Makes it kind of redundant, no?
The two are completely difference. The reverb on the Space Echo is very limited. It's only got spring reverb and no parameters to change. Space is a proper reverb unit with multiple types and multiple parameters to change.

I've got both. I'd never sell the Space Echo. It's awesome.
Old 27th August 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lain2097 View Post
Quote:
...Love wide, lush, huge and creamy ambience sounds...
..Quadraverb (yes really)..
I hope no one is mad that im digging this up, but when you say the QuadraVerb, are you referring to the original one?
Old 27th August 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syphax View Post
I hope no one is mad that im digging this up, but when you say the QuadraVerb, are you referring to the original one?
Old 28th August 2016
Old 25th October 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollowman9 View Post
Great make up and FX!
Where do you live?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search