The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
why do i keep writing 8 bar loops - oh, i see why. Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 30th January 2012
  #91
Lives for gear
 
audslu's Avatar
 

What i do is to move my static mix to bar ~200* , think how i want to start the track and arrange as i go, timeline (secs) also helps me alot.
Workflow must appeal first of all to you. I believe listening to progressive tracks (techno-house etc) or whatever style you like, helps getting inspiration and ideas for your tracks. Then the more tracks you finish the better the results will be.

*I don't want to look like a wiseass but that's what Dennis Ferrer does and he says in his fm interview that he was very happy when he changed his workflow to this, and how it was a big step for him! Good or bad, i ve doing that myself all these years.
Old 30th January 2012
  #92
Gear Head
 

i used to have the same problem. i have found that learning some chord theory and music theory helps alot. more than alot actually. i can make a four bar loop for say a melody, then once i start adding chord progressions to help carry the melody i find that a whole new world opens up for the song and im able to take the listener on a ride. it ends up coming full circle but learn some scales and chords and memorize some scale tone chords and progressions. also inversions help a great deal.that my 2 cents
Old 30th January 2012
  #93
Lives for gear
 
blinky909's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by struggz View Post
i used to have the same problem. i have found that learning some chord theory and music theory helps alot. more than alot actually. i can make a four bar loop for say a melody, then once i start adding chord progressions to help carry the melody i find that a whole new world opens up for the song and im able to take the listener on a ride. it ends up coming full circle but learn some scales and chords and memorize some scale tone chords and progressions. also inversions help a great deal.that my 2 cents
chord progressions are the devil - they ruined good trance music
Old 30th January 2012
  #94
Lives for gear
 
laikenf's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinky909 View Post
chord progressions are the devil - they ruined good trance music
L O L
Old 30th January 2012
  #95
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by laikenf View Post
L O L
or you could just throw beat repeat on every channel and buy stutter edit lol
Old 1st February 2012
  #96
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCTION View Post

The most difficult thing in the world for a musician is having a good idea, and executing it poorly.

i am actually a master at having a great idea and then executing it poorly, so if you need any adivce on this hit me up lol
Old 1st February 2012
  #97
Gear Nut
 

Don't care how you sequence it but please make sure to use a reverse cymbal or white noise filter sweep at the end of every 16 bars
Old 1st February 2012
  #98
Lives for gear
 
oldgearguy's Avatar
 

or - create a bunch of short loops and bring them all out to separate faders on the mixer and create a completed song by fading/punching in and out various combinations of loops. That way you can let some combination loop as long as you feel like and then gradually change it.

Plus, being on the mixer allows you to throw dry loops out to a delay or reverb and by combining mutes, sends, groups, and channel faders arrange the song on the fly.

Kind of like a dub approach to techno.
Old 2nd February 2012
  #99
Gear Guru
 
Karloff70's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgearguy View Post
or - create a bunch of short loops and bring them all out to separate faders on the mixer and create a completed song by fading/punching in and out various combinations of loops. That way you can let some combination loop as long as you feel like and then gradually change it.

Plus, being on the mixer allows you to throw dry loops out to a delay or reverb and by combining mutes, sends, groups, and channel faders arrange the song on the fly.

Kind of like a dub approach to techno.
Looking forward to doing exactly that when my desk comes back from the doctor's......heh Dubbing is one of the most bits of fun to be had in a studio!
Old 23rd June 2013
  #100
Here for the gear
 

I would like too see more input into this thread, I think there are a great number of useful stratagies in here. That being said I'll give mine.

In Ableton 9 you can now import any(within reasonalbe sources) sound an convert it to a midi fille. If you want to break out of the 8 bar loop sing or play the instrument you are most adept at that way you will be giving your best to the song. If you are less skilled with say a piano over a guitar then the structure will reflect that in turn.

Sing your melody - convert to midi and then to your fav vst

play your chords - convert to midi and start exploring you sounds

Finger drums too stiff - scat some new rhythms with your mouth add them to your arrangment for breaks and/or fills
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump