The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
need help choosing a 61 key midi controller for use with logic. Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Maniac

need help choosing a 61 key midi controller for use with logic.

I'm looking to pick up a 61 key midi controller and I'm not sure which one to get. I'm in the $300-400 range. I absolutely cant go over 400.

I mostly use kontakt, but sometimes use other soft synths. (piano & organ most of the time)

I've been checking out these.

GuitarCenter Roland

GuitarCenter axiom 2nd gen

but I was also thinking about saving up and getting this

GuitarCenter studio logic 88 key

it has no knobs or faders, but I play piano 90% of the time. I just dont really have room for an 88 key in the studio.

also this > http://www.guitarcenter.com/Studiolo...45-i1173810.gc studio logic 61
Old 3rd September 2011
restpause
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmajik2021 View Post
I'm looking to pick up a 61 key midi controller and I'm not sure which one to get. I'm in the $300-400 range. I absolutely cant go over 400.

I mostly use kontakt, but sometimes use other soft synths. (piano & organ most of the time)

I've been checking out these.

GuitarCenter Roland

GuitarCenter axiom 2nd gen

but I was also thinking about saving up and getting this

GuitarCenter studio logic 88 key

it has no knobs or faders, but I play piano 90% of the time. I just dont really have room for an 88 key in the studio.

also this > GuitarCenter studio logic 61
I would go with the Axiom 61 2nd Generation, like you were possiblly considering.

I have the 1st Gen Axiom 25 and it's really really nice and high quality. From what I've heard, they fixed the problem with the knobs in the 2nd Gen, so they turn smoothly instead in gradients/detented increments.

One nice extra on the Axioms is the Expression pedal input as well as sustain pedal input. It's like getting another mod wheel that doesn't require your hands.

The pads are soft and responsive, the buttons don't have to be pushed hard, the display is easy to read, the pitch and mod wheels are firm and don't leak. But best of all, the keys feel firm and don't have any weird resistance and yet don't feel too light. At first I was worried they'd be too firm for fast arpeggios, but it turns out they are very responsive. And the keys are acoustically quiet, as are the pads.

Last but not least, you can edit all different types of parameters. On mine, I turned up the knob turning sensitivity so they turn "faster".

The Axioms are just high quality all around. I just wish they were less expensive. I also really wish I'd got an Axiom 61 or 49 instead of a 25. I'd really like to have faders and the extra octaves I shouldn't have skimped on.
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

I would go with the cheapest option, because they all essentially do the exact same thing, some just have more options.
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

We're completely satisfied with the Akai MPK61 and an 88 key Studio Logic SL 990. I use the MPK61 for all synth and "keyboard" instruments, and the 990 for pianos.

BTW you should search the used market for the SL 990. They usually go for low prices.
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFMG View Post
We're completely satisfied with the Akai MPK61 and an 88 key Studio Logic SL 990. I use the MPK61 for all synth and "keyboard" instruments, and the 990 for pianos.

BTW you should search the used market for the SL 990. They usually go for low prices.
Until a couple months ago that was my exact setup!

Now the Virus has replaced the MPK.

The MPK series are my favorite midi controllers!
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

Well.... I bet you could find a very cheap Alesis QS 6.1 or 7.1 with a PC to serial interface that isn't great as a controller...but...you'd at least have a hardware synth on top of it. It's outdated, but it's a beast and very, very reliable. I've never had 1 problem with mine since I bought it so long ago.

It's hard to program....has decent sounds....good pianos, drums, just not so many crazy sounds.... but I've heard some prgrammers that did make some unbelievable sounds on it...but I had no idea how they did it.

Man...they're isn't as many as I thought there would be and their price actually went up on Ebay..... makes no sense.

I see 1 for sale for $400+ free shipping. I think I paid $300+ 10 years ago. I however didn't pay for shipping either and was never asked too...was awesome.

So you either get a great controller or a lame controller with an actual synth connected to it. I mean, it's got 4 sliders and the typical pitch/mod wheels...that's it. Keys are strong...construction is a tank.

Manual sucked hard core. I couldn't program a decent sound into this if I was paid.... I was making music and sounds from scratch using the Yamaha SY85 in 1 week that I've never been able to do in 10 years on this synth though because the manual is so so so so terrible. It basically tells you what stuff does...but not how to do anything...it's like an encyclopedia. The SY85 manual told you exactly how to navigate and make stuff....it had to because it was far more complicated yet far easier to navigate and do what you wanted than this Alesis. The problem is...not enough knobs and buttons. I want lots of buttons, not less.... LOL.
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Maniac

Checkout the new novation keys just announced over in the new product forum, if anything like my current novation sl61 then these new ones will be ace!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search