The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Octatrack and Cirklon DAW Software
Old 13th March 2012
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodsample View Post
No.
That's a reall bummer
Old 13th March 2012
Lives for gear

As a work around, i'm sure you can play the midi file, from a daw, into the octatrack, just as if it was played on a keyboard. Only one track at a time, and it may not record pressure, or even length of each note, (at least the monomachine doesn't), but it should record which notes and when they are played.
Old 13th March 2012
DSK
Lives for gear

Hmm that's a nice idea for inputing this.

Maybe Elektron should incorporate the midi read.

Anyway I just got the Octatrack a few days ago way before my prediction (quite unexpected that I managed to) and I find it lovely and quite suitable with the Tempest.

Can't wait to hook it up properly and have a go.

The Cirklon is still on my mind (coupled with a Vermona DRM III and a couple of synths) but think for now I'm settled.
Old 14th March 2012
Lives for gear

I want this thread to go on forever so please keep posting whatever comes to mind.
Old 27th March 2012
Here for the gear

How well does the Octatrack function as a drum machine if you're using it to load and play from your own drum kits from your computer into the flash card?
Old 27th March 2012
Gear Addict
Is the octatrack more "complicated" than a MPC ?
How ho you rate it's workflow?
Do you have to keep looking at the screen and menu editing?
Old 23rd April 2012
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Empire View Post
How well does the Octatrack function as a drum machine if you're using it to load and play from your own drum kits from your computer into the flash card?
bloodsimple has a bunch of vids on youtube demonstrating the octatrack's ability to function as a sample-based drum machine. with high-quality samples (Goldbaby, drive machine drums), I think it makes a helluva drum machine, in addition to sequencer and sample mangler.

http://www.youtube.com/user/n3bsvid
Old 23rd April 2012
Gear Nut

I loved my OT so much i got a second one. I also hate creating music on a laptop. It works fantastic as a drum machine. you can also turn off quantize
Old 23rd April 2012
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattherocker View Post
I loved my OT so much i got a second one. I also hate creating music on a laptop. It works fantastic as a drum machine. you can also turn off quantize
do you ever wish you had 8 dedicated outputs on the OT? Or do you find the two stereo pairs enough generally?
Old 23rd April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bebopcola View Post
do you ever wish you had 8 dedicated outputs on the OT? Or do you find the two stereo pairs enough generally?
I bought a second OT specifically to have 8 outputs. I asked the Elektron guys about modding the box to have 8 direct outs and their response was that it was too big an engineering effort for them to document and support.

I took that as meaning there could be a way to tap into the audio before the mix bus, but it probably wasn't worth the time and energy to reverse engineer it, especially when people are selling their OTs quickly and/or cheaply after finding they don't get along with it.

Having a pair of them complicates things a bit moving samples/info between the boxes, but I gain a lot of flexibility with 2.
Old 25th April 2012
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by bebopcola View Post
I havent felt that i needed 8 outputs (yet) but ive been trying to keep things as minimal as possible and not lug around a big board to shows. i just try to get things sounding as good as i can in the OT. I can see why some would want the extra outputs but im not one of them.
Old 25th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattherocker View Post
I havent felt that i needed 8 outputs (yet) but ive been trying to keep things as minimal as possible and not lug around a big board to shows. i just try to get things sounding as good as i can in the OT. I can see why some would want the extra outputs but im not one of them.
To some extent it depends on your outboard fx selection and what you reach for when treating samples. For example, IMHO, the reverb in the OT is marginal and best used as a special effect while the comb delay, EQs, freeze delay, and filter are perfectly usable for most things. I happen to prefer my external flanger and phaser and chorus choices, but that is because of what I have available to me.
Old 25th April 2012
Gear Nut

^^ This is true, If i have a tasty piece of gear at my disposal or a good sounding stomp i damn well want to use it!
Old 10th May 2012
Lives for gear

...reading through the octatrack manual on this side, lol this almost had me spit my coffee out onto the screen

Old 13th May 2012
Gear Maniac

So when I asked my buddy what he does when he needs to record something longer than 16 seconds on the OT, this is what he said:

"when the occasion arrises where 16 seconds isn't long enough, there are 8 octatrack buffers to record into, on each of the 4 scenes = 32 buffers."

What exactly does this mean?
Old 13th May 2012
Lives for gear

it means he has no idea what he's talking about, or is at least missing the point.

4 scenes? maybe he means 4 parts? either way, it won't let you record a single sample that's more than 16 seconds.

for the moment at least.
Old 13th May 2012
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuonacc View Post
it means he has no idea what he's talking about, or is at least missing the point.

4 scenes? maybe he means 4 parts? either way, it won't let you record a single sample that's more than 16 seconds.

for the moment at least.
yeah, that's pretty much what I thought, this didn't make any sense to me either.
Old 13th May 2013
Here for the gear

Resurrected this thread because I have some questions.

First off, I only have 1 synth I am trying to sequence, SlimPhatty.
After doing a lot of research a while back I fell in love with both the Octatrack and the Cirklon, and decided to order the Cirklon, mainly because the Cirklon demos looked a lot like my current workflow using a Max patch I made for my APC40, only the Cirklon looks WAY more FUN!
I have been in the process of moving completely away from a Laptop in my live rig. Something like Cirklon or Octatrack seem to make that completely possible.

Ditching the Laptop leaves me wanting some kind of sampler/loop chopper and naturally the Octatrack is on my radar. Since my Tempest will not sequence externals yet, the Octatrack seems almost perfect.

SO I got on the order list for a Cirklon, haven't been notified that its time to send money, and that's a lot of money for a sequencer that will probably be used for 1 synth. I guess I was planning on a future of possibly modular stuff.
However now I have noticed that the Octatrack update now records note length which was kind of a deal breaker when considering my needs.

Now the Octatrack seems the more practical purchase.

I've been reading manuals.
How are the Octratracks knobs laid out when sequencing external gear?
For example are they set in stone for you i.e. pitch, decay CC1-4?
Or are these assignable?
Are there multiple pages of parameters to p-lock?
How many?
Can I use an input on the OT coming from a send on my mixer just to get the reverb?
If I did go with the Cirklon whats a small sampler I could get to attempt OT functionality, such as mangling a 2 bar loop?

I want to be able to loop record playing keys to the Octatrack going to the SlimPhatty, and record all knob twists etc, plus step sequencing the SlimPhatty from the Octatrack with ease in an on the fly performance fashion.
I'm totally torn right now, I feel like I should get the Cirklon because I got on the list, but it's hella expensive. I see the Octatrack being a lot of fun and making LOTS of music in a fashion I am accustomed too, but I dont know if I should pull the trigger and miss the boat on the Cirklon.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
Old 13th May 2013
Lives for gear

Here are some points to consider:

You're on the Ck list & you've been waiting x amount of time already.

If-you drop off the list and buy an OT and are then not happy you get back on the Ck list and wait again... X amount of time + x already passed.

If- you stay on the list buy the Ck and your not happy you will be able to sell it straight off with 0 to very little loss and be able to buy an OT from the store mon-sat the week of your sale...

If-you buy an OT and are not happy you will be able to sell it, altho you will likely take a loss.

Ask yourself this:
What do I want? Do I want a dedicated sequencer? Or...Do I want a sampler/sequencer/drum machine?
Old 14th May 2013
Here for the gear

Good points
Old 8th June 2013
I'll add this to the mix of opinions in here;

If the OT had more MIDI-tracks, more MIDI-ins and a better/more logical way of sorting (and naming) patterns, I probably wouldn't have ordered a Cirklon. I'm getting the Cirklon to tie my synths together, to be able to sequence and compose in one dedicated box, as opposed to having to use a lot of sequencers side by side (I have 3 Elektron boxes, but there doesn't exist any well working logical way of tying them all together for composing songs, in my opinion). The Cirklon can store instrument definitions, you can name patterns and scenes on it and easily move them around, make copies and variations, it even has fill-patterns for every pattern. In addition to all the other features that sound mighty cool for experimentation.

I love my OT though, for sample mangling, I don't think it has any real competitors as per now. Click my reviews-link on the left to read my review of it.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search