The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Swinging 4 on 4 rhythm
Old 2nd September 2011
Gear Maniac

Swinging 4 on 4 rhythm

Just wondering how do you swing your 4 on 4 rhythm patterns, to make them more interesting, rather than obvious right-on-the grid kicks and snares. I did achieve some interesting results by placing the snare just a milisec before the grid, it gives more "noddy" groove to the beat.

What's your trick?

Also it's appropriate to discuss "illusive" swing, by placing hi hat off beat while leaving dead straight 4on4 kick, but the thing is, if I spread hats chaoticaly its just doesnt work, so there IS still a pattern to everything.

Hope someone finds this thread interesting
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Addict

I don't **** with the kicks 'cause I do house but I achieve great swing by doing all sorts of things. I play some sounds out by hand and don't quantize, push the snares back or forth to make it feel more immediate or laid back, layer/cut loops from various old songs to get a lot of different rhythms going, and, of course, use a swing parameter!
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

Its all about syncopation.

Google it

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search