The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
spectral audio neptune ii owners help meh out Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 2nd September 2011
Here for the gear

spectral audio neptune ii owners help meh out

i just bought a neptune ii and wanted to ask some people who have it a couple questions.

1. seems like it's possible to overdrive the filter pretty easily? this is cool but i can't figure out exactly when it starts to happen, especially when mixing oscillators.. seems like to get it at normal drive w/ 3 osc each needs to be like 10, 11 o clock?

2. i have to pitch mine up quite a bit to get it in tune.. anyone else have to do this? like to about 3 o'clock on the dial of each osc.

3. it won't respond to anything under F1 via midi.. that's not right izit?

people love this for basslines? it has some nice growl but doesn't really seem like that much of a monster to me.. still getting used to it but it was easier for me to get stuff i thought was fatter out of my dsi mopho.. any thoughts/tips? really different filter.. warmer, more textured, but yea just not as 'fat' and twangy i guess as i thought. cool, but not quite what i expected. what do people think.. love to hear from some ppl who've owned this and a few other analog monos.

anyone done any PWM mods to it? when i get some free time in a million years i wanna break it open and patch some LFOs into the voltage refs for the pulse waves.
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

One of my all time favourite monos. It's all about that filter! So squelchy, like a Moog and a Roland filter got funky and had a fat little baby

1. Yes it is easy to overdrive. But also easy not to. Choices are good!

2. Yes it's a bit hard to tune, I'd love fine tune and an octave switch on both osc's.

3. Huh?! It's a bass monster!!

PS press midi learn and hit the lowest note on your midi kb
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Don't own one... but love the sound of this synth. I talked my friend in Japan into buying one when it showed up on eBay located in Tokyo... he gets some incredible basses & leads out of it.
Old 4th October 2011
Here for the gear

thx guys! i do like that you can drive the filter easily. however i was just curious if ppl knew how to mix everything to get the resonance the strongest, i think it's like 10 o clock maybe?

re the bass, yes, it can make some really big growly basslines i have realized after tweaking it more. just keep the filter low, pump in a square and maybe triangle seems to give the best results. i'm just getting used to it, the filter really responds differently compared to the other synths i have.

really, i guess i was kind of hoping for that twangy 90's deep house i guess sh101 kinda bass sound, however, it's on this other tip. it's good for sure, just not what i was expecting. i have an alpha juno and a prophet 08 (previously a mopho), both have a filter sound that's closer to that (i guess cheap? roland?) 90's vibe than the neptune. in any case, the bass is there, and the whole experience has taught me a lot which is also always a goal of mine in buying new instruments.

however.. tweaking knobs on this thing.. whooO! easy. amazing. SEARING leads. actually helped two of my buddies out with it and tracked a part you can hear here towards end of track: VHS Or Beta - Breaking Bones (Cosmic Kids Remix)

Simonator could you link me some stuff your friend did with it? Thanks!
Old 4th October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep bias View Post
however i was just curious if ppl knew how to mix everything to get the resonance the strongest, i think it's like 10 o clock maybe?
Would that perhaps depend on the frequency of the note being played through it at the time?

... ie, 'strongest resonance' will be at a higher frequency cut-off for a higher pitched lead than with a lower bass line.

Quote:
Simonator could you link me some stuff your friend did with it? Thanks!

IIRC, the lead mono lines in these are all Neptune.

To me it has a really distinctive tone, which I like a LOT.

Quote:
i was kind of hoping for that twangy
I think it can be very 'twangy'... listen to the above 're-use' at ~3.50. Then the line that comes in above it at 4.30 is the Neptune too... Ring modulation of square/noise input.

Old 4th October 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonator View Post

nice beats
Old 6th October 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Would that perhaps depend on the frequency of the note being played through it at the time?

... ie, 'strongest resonance' will be at a higher frequency cut-off for a higher pitched lead than with a lower bass line.
Let me clarify: I'm talking about the way the filter behaves when you overdrive it with a hot signal input. As I understand, this sounds a bit like filter feedback, where the resonance peak isn't as pronounced for a signal of any frequency. This seems to be what's up with the neptune. It's not really a big deal.. you can obviously flip knobs and get what you want.. but just curious about others' experience.

Quote:
I think it can be very 'twangy'... listen to the above 're-use' at ~3.50. Then the line that comes in above it at 4.30 is the Neptune too... Ring modulation of square/noise input.
That all sounds cool, however, I'm thinking of the way this kind of bass sounds (at 1:30):

or this one:

Enjoyed yr friends's tracks, thx for posting Simonator!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search