The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Making some combo-organ SF2 samples Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 2nd September 2011
Here for the gear
Making some combo-organ SF2 samples

Some time ago i surfed the net for combo-organ samples, for live use (like Native Instruments B4, but totally cheasy farfisa-style), but found none. So i decided i would record one myself. Now i've already sampled "Flute" section on my Vermona ET6-2. It's a clean sine-like signal, but you definitely hear its organ origin. There are many more modes to choose from, which have much more pronounced square-esque hollowness, sometimes even sharpness. Also my other organ (Vermona Formation 3) has nice percussion controls. To sample all of theese and chop them up is not a problem for me (i mean each key is a sample). But how to make it useable, with, say, axiom 49? I mean i have trouble programming SF2 presets. So i'm looking for someone who will program SF2 patches, in ergonomic and logical manner. After its done we could put it up for public use.
Sampling vs. Real Thing problems:
1. Phase relation. In the real thing keys octave apart begin their cycles at the same time (because they have master oscillator). In sampling you cannot make it phase related, so it becomes more of a hammond organ, which had phase-unrelated (free running) oscillators.
2. Vibrato. On mine (6-2 organ) vibrato isn't working. Actually half of it is dead, so i don't really know the waveshape of the vibrato, but suspect it is Triangle wave, cause its easier to make using transistors.
3. Why SF2? Because its universal sample format. I don't really want any fancy things like leslie emulator, effects and other + its CPU-friendly, and i have slow PC. Also i can have any effect as VST, and by audio routing almost any sound is possible.

On the side note: I have few more soviet-era string-machines, like electronika em 25, and elektronika em 04.
Museum of Soviet synthesizers.
Museum of Soviet synthesizers.
I just LOVE 04's sound. Really lush and fat. Totally worth its 20kg weight. I can sample theese to, but i need someone who will manually loop each key. No crossfade allowed! I know, its time-consuming (thats why i don't want to do that), but you will be rewarded with some of the best synthetic string sound you've ever heard. EM 25 has some nice strings too. After tweaking chorusing unit i've managed to get some decent sound out of it. Sound like Crumar Performer, but more grittier (but really better than ruskeys.net samples, which, i suspect, had untuned chorus inside).
If someone is willing to participate - micindir [ at ] aol [ dot ] com. I really looking forward to make it happen.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search