The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Prophet 08 experiences and opinions? Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 21st September 2011
Lives for gear

Did the rack p08 have the encoder issues? Thinking of selling my tetra for this. The software has killed my love for that little thing
Old 21st September 2011
Lives for gear
Prophet 08 experiences and opinions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mardi Gras
Did the rack p08 have the encoder issues? Thinking of selling my tetra for this. The software has killed my love for that little thing
I felt the same until I got the Mopho Keyboard. Now I can't sit down without turning them on. Why not wait a little more and see if the VST editor comes out (reported to be in beta testing - who knows)?
Old 22nd September 2011
Lives for gear

i sold my tetra ang got the 08 , never look back

yes non PE racks have the same potentiometer problems
Old 22nd September 2011
Lives for gear

Got a PE and didn't really like it. The waveforms didn't sound every distinct or have the right tone for me. The filter could sound pretty fat but it's not a 'warm' synth. It sounds more gritty than warm which isn't what I wanted. It's a decent synth especially with so many mod options but not that great IMO. I didn't like the envelopes or LFOs - all seemed very sharp and digital. For the money you can't really go wrong especially used (£1000?) as long as you like a more gritty modern tone. Admittedly plenty of reverb obviously helps with smoothing this out. Don't expect it to sound in any way vintage or classic and you'll be fine. I sold mine for an OB-8 and I'm so glad I did - the OB8 is very lush and very warm - a real beauty - just what I wanted - without reverb it sounds how I wanted!
Old 22nd September 2011
Gear Addict

Had the P08 for about a year considered selling it a few times, finally did when the right offer came for it. never looked back.
Old 22nd September 2011
Lives for gear
Sold my P08, didn't miss it. Then got a Tetra recently and am now selling it. Tetra does sound better, but I still can't get over this harsh, brash sound of DSI synths. Not for me, nor was the software editor. Hoping DSI come out with a P08mkII with better sound and reliability.
Old 23rd September 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by SynthesizerPatel View Post
So, out of curiosity, has anyone else gone from a Gaia (or similar) to one of the above? How did you rate the change?

Also, what are people's thoughts on the P08 vs Evolver?

Had a Korg electribe emx for around a year, and then purchased a Mono evolver keyboard, a moog slim phatty, and a prohpet 08 pe keyboard at the same time. receieved the prophet about 3 weeks after both the monos.

The evolver is capable of a much weirder soundscape than the prophet because of those digital oscs. great for weird ambience and funky lead sounds. I don't use it for bass or leads cuz I have the Moog, but its capable of that kind of stuff too (whether poly or mono). I shoot for sort of a retro sound in some of my stuff though so the P08 fits the bill more than evolver.

TO OP AS WELL: I use the prophet 08 more than any of the synths I own. To me its capable of producing sounds right up my alley. I do some 80's inspired funky pop, electro housey type stuff, some nu disco. All in all, I really do recommend the P08.
Old 1st January 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by CfNorENa View Post
If we're talking basic, subtractive, analog synth, then yes, I agree.

Now I'll do you one better: YouTube videos are perfectly adequate for judging the basic tone of a synth you've never played in person.

Yup. I said it in public.
I'm selling my Nord Lead 2 and buying a Prophet 8 based only on YouTube...
Old 1st January 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by camarao View Post
I'm selling my Nord Lead 2 and buying a Prophet 8 based only on YouTube...
I've sold a V-Synth GT (wich was not actually fitting my needs) for a Prophet 08, based only on YouTube. Couldn't be happier with it!

You won't regret it.

Cheers!
Old 1st January 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by cr73645 View Post
I've sold a V-Synth GT (wich was not actually fitting my needs) for a Prophet 08, based only on YouTube. Couldn't be happier with it!

You won't regret it.

Cheers!
Well… in fact I've tried a Mopho live and I loved it!
Old 1st January 2014
Lives for gear

I'll jump in.... sold my ANDROMEDA and got the P08. I think it sounds just fine, the programming is more strait forward. More, EASIER fun than the A6 was. Heck, I learned to PROGRAM the A6 and still didn't "ENJOY" it. And I was tired of the warm up time. Prophet 08 fit the bill for me.
Old 1st January 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by camarao View Post
Well… in fact I've tried a Mopho live and I loved it!
I wasn't able even to test the Mopho... here in Brazil it's kind of hard to get your hands on analog synths.

Even on YouTube and Macbook speakers, the Prophet 08 just kicked the V-Synth GT's (on headphones) ass so hard that I was ashamed of buying the V in the first place... really weak VA synth, good enough for sample handling.
Old 2nd January 2014
Lives for gear

Mine is lovely. An inspiration and a joy to program. 2 years in and I've barely touched its potential

It is helped a touch by external processing- chorus and whatnot. But it manages to sound big and lively without processing. Currently using TAL's free Juno chorus to help things along. Suits it perfectly...

My only problem is a seeming lack of sustain pedal response, but I'll get in touch with DSI about it- I don't really use it much, but is handy for getting to the controls when running sustained chords. Other than that, mine has been pretty solid over the last couple of years.

Analogue Prophet- did you get one? Can't remember- this is an old thread...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search